Undecided Where to Go...

Hi,

I would really appreciate any advice on my grad school plans. I'll be applying to an English graduate program in early January, but I need some advice about what programs would be realistic options for me. Here's some info about myself that might make suggestions easier. I'm currently a junior at Oklahoma State University and would like to teach at either a small state university or community college after I receive my master's degree. My GPA is 3.93 and I'm working on my honors thesis this summer. I only have two Bs in college so far; the rest are As. Besides my grades, I've just received a Wentz scholarship affiliated with OSU to conduct individual research and I've also been given a small departmental scholarship. I haven't had as much conference experience as I'd like, but I did participate in a regional conference associated with the Great Plains Honors Council my sophomore year. I was one of six winners to win a research award, and I've had some creative work published in school anthologies and one independent journal. 

As far as my financial situation, I currently have no debt because I transferred from a community college and am receiving three scholarships. I should graduate with my bachelor's degree with no debt. My scholarly interests are mostly centered on Early American literature, specifically Hawthorne and Puritan poetry. I tend to gravitate toward neo-formalist and historical scholarship when needing sources or reading for my own enjoyment. 

So, the problem is, I really don't know what program would be a good fit for me academically. I'm afraid of aiming too high and getting mired in debt and struggling through the coursework, but I'm also concerned of finding myself at a school that isn't challenging. I'm unsure whether a degree in literature or comp rhetoric would be best for long-term stability. I'm well liked in the department, but because I'm a transfer student, not a lot of the professors know me yet, so I haven't received a lot of advice in this area. My adviser and I agreed the GRE will basically determine where I end up, but I don't know what's considered a good score and grad programs aren't always forthcoming about their expectations for the GRE. I'm concerned about my ability to do well on the test. I'm terrible at math and I have bad test anxiety, so I'm not anticipating a great score. I would like to stay in the Southwest, but I'm not averse to going elsewhere if I get accepted into a good program and get a sizable amount of financial aid. 

I really want to teach, not just produce research, and I have a deep appreciation for older students returning to school. It's important for me to have a career that supports my own writing interests, and I love working with students and hearing their thoughts on a text in a small discussion format. I feel I'm very committed about my plans and I love literary analysis and helping students work on a long-term paper or research project. 

My brief list of schools include:

University of Oklahoma

Oklahoma State University

University of Arkansas 

University of Kansas 

University of Tulsa 

Any suggestions for grad school would be great! Thank you! 

Edited by Litgirl23

You sound like you already have some solid application materials: a strong GPA, honors. Nice work! I'm surprised that your advisor feels that the GRE is a strong indicator of where you will end up; that doesn't seem to be the case, especially since some MA programs don't even require GRE scores at all. Either way, you should try your best, but if you have to decide to put your time and energy toward your writing sample or GRE prep, choose the writing sample! 

As for programs, I'd search for a program that is funded and offers teaching experience, since that is your career goal. You can look at this old thread for As for what to study, at some MA programs, you can do both. I earned my MA at San Francisco State, where lit MA students could earn a certificate in composition. Keep in mind that with an MA in hand, you'll most likely be teaching primarily composition. I just did a brief perusal of the job postings for full-time lecturers and instructors in the WPA listserve, and most require at least coursework in composition. So, even if you choose to pursue literature, make sure you find a program that offers a handful of graduate composition courses. 

Other than funding and teaching opportunities, consider applying to programs that offer courses that intrigue you, are in areas you want to live in (others may disagree; I feel like location can be justified as a higher priority for MA applications, as opposed to PhD applications), offer funding and support for professional development (in both teaching and research), and are committed to helping students get to their end goal. 

Good luck! 

I highly, highly doubt English and literature programs care one bit about quantitive GRE scores. Verbal, sure, Analytical writing, makes sense to me. But quantitative? No way.

Hey there! I went to University of Oklahoma for undergrad, so I'm from a similar educational background, and I'll be starting my PhD at Tufts in the fall. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about OU or about applying in general.

But so far, it seems like you're off to a great start. Don't be afraid of aiming too high, because you never know, and you sound like a great student. But of course, it's always smart to apply to a variety of programs-- in terms of both rank/prestige, as well as different types of programs. I, for one, was interested to find that a small program really seemed to suit me better. 

Good luck! 

Edited by jaymarais

You sound like a really strong candidate from what you describe! I think the list of funded MA programs is a great place to start, though it sounds like you'd be competitive for some PhD programs as well. From your career goals, it seems that you might fit best in a rhet/comp program (or a lit program with a strong composition presence). I don't know how much teaching experience you have, but you may find it worthwhile to volunteer at your writing center or something similar in order to test the waters.

The GRE definitely is not that most important part of the PhD application process, but it is sometimes used as a metric in determining fellowships and other forms of funding. For the schools you listed, I would only be concerned if your total score falls under 200, and I would aim for 160+ on the verbal section. 

However, I would also want to echo what jaymarias said -- don't sell yourself short! With a great writing sample and SOP, you should be a competitive candidate. :)

I will be attending a humanities Ph.D. program in the fall (see below), and I honestly don't think that they cared a jot about my quant GRE scores, which were on the low end of average. My verbal score was almost perfect, and that's all they cared about in terms of GRE scores as far as I could tell. Overall, as long as you don't completely bomb quant and are solid in every other area (verbal GRE, SOP, undergrad grades) I wouldn't worry about it.

Some places want a combined minimum GRE score for funding purposes. I know of one school that will give people who don't have the combined score around $13,000 and those who do have the score around $19,000. So, it matters...to some schools at least. 

Oh, the GRE matters, especially for funding. I just don't know if it is the ultimate, deciding factor of where a person will end up, which is how the OP's advisor described GRE scores. 

The GRE can matter, but a bad score on quant won't necessarily sink you.  I nearly failed the quant completely (13th percentile yeah baby), and still ended up in a program with a very generous assistantship.  So study for it, but don't stress about it.  It's not *that* important, and if there is a part of your application to have an anxiety attack over, it is not that one.

As for programs, you have a good list going.  I can throw out a personal shout-out for St. Louis University as a place with a very nicely funded MA, which focusses on teaching experience, and gives a great deal of focus to comp.  Come fall, I will be able to give you a better opinion on the program. :)  I don't know if that is too far out of your location preferences, but since I knew about their funding I thought I'd mention it.

You sound like you're off to a wonderful start though; best of luck!

Thank you all for of your comments and suggestions! The GRE is a little less daunting now, but I did have another question. I've heard mixed opinions about completing your master's degree at the same school where you've completed undergrad vs. going somewhere else for your master's degree. Since I'm a transfer student, and am less known in the department, would it be a bad move if I stayed at OSU? I've noticed that most professors at the community college I'd like to work at completed their undergrad and master's at the same institution. Most only moved to another university for their PhD. I'm not sure why I keep getting conflicting information about staying or going elsewhere. 

Thank you all for of your comments and suggestions! The GRE is a little less daunting now, but I did have another question. I've heard mixed opinions about completing your master's degree at the same school where you've completed undergrad vs. going somewhere else for your master's degree. Since I'm a transfer student, and am less known in the department, would it be a bad move if I stayed at OSU? I've noticed that most professors at the community college I'd like to work at completed their undergrad and master's at the same institution. Most only moved to another university for their PhD. I'm not sure why I keep getting conflicting information about staying or going elsewhere. 

I think it matters less on the M.A. level, particularly if you're planning to go on and get a PhD. Usually it's not a good idea to receive your BA/MA/PhD all at the same place, from what I've heard. Others may want to chime in here, though.

I started at one institution for my BA, took several years off, enrolled at another institution, and completed my BA and MA there. It didn't hinder my applications. One benefit is developing stronger relationships with faculty over the course of 4-6 years, potentially leading to stronger LoR.

I did notice that OSU really wants you to commit to a specialization for your MA - if you want to change areas you have to submit a separate application. That seems odd to me since the MA typically is about exposing you to areas and approaches you haven't considered, at least in my experience. This isn't to say you shouldn't do it since you seem attached to Early American, but just something to be cautious of when applying.

And finally, I see that you hope to teach at a small state school or cc after you finish your MA, which is a wonderful goal. Just be aware that more and more PhDs are applying to small state schools and cc's, so if you're planning on stopping post-MA, it could be a challenge (not that getting a job anywhere these days is easy!)