Outrageous Application Fee

ahlatsiawa

One of the leasing agents I am in contact with just asked me to submit a non-refundable fee of 240 dollars with my application. Considering that all other applications I have filled had a fee of $60 max, I am compelled to ask, am I being hustled? I sure as hell don't want to spend that much money just to get my application in. What do you guys think?

Edited by ahlatsiawa

Is it just an application fee? If so, I would say yes. Some places have an amenities fee that are usually around $300 that they ask you to pay along with the application. Although, it's re-fundable in the sense that if you don't lease there, you get it back.

That sounds fishy to me, if it's just an application fee. Most places in California have a $30-$35 per person fee. Some places are not allowed to charge these fees at all! However, the $240 might be a $40 fee plus a $200 deposit (just using example numbers) if you get approved for the lease. I'd confirm with the landlord before paying anything.

Edited by TakeruK

Thanks for all the replies. I have sent her an email asking if the application fee will also act as a security deposit if I sign the lease. Let's see how she responds.