Is it possible to revoke an accepted offer?

hinhrt

To give a back story, there were two schools that I was interested in, a safe school and another school. I received an offer from my safe school with funding at the end of April and they told me that I would have to give them a decision on their offer within two weeks. During those two weeks, I waited and tried calling the other school in regards to my decision, but to no avail. I ended giving up and accepting my safe school's decision. 

Last week (yes, I know it's very late now), the other school finally notified me of my acceptance. I then decided to visit the campus and advisor to get a confirmed feeling of the program and university. Long story short, it's a very nice program and I am considering switching schools. 

So arriving to my question and like the title suggests, is it possible to revoke an accepted offer? Will there be any negative repercussions on the student's end (other than losing a deposit fee)? 

I wouldn't say you would be blacklisted... That's a little dramatic.The 'safe school' of course would not be happy with you, and I think it could hurt you in the long run. If you really want to switch, I think you need to have a very good reason. If you can accomplish your goals at the school you accepted, I would stay there. 

Being blacklisted is understandable. I'm about to email my safe school now and ask. 

I really wish programs would honor the April 15th deadline... It's frustrating as it is to just decide between all of the options. 

Anyways, thanks for the responses, I was trying to search this forum and other search engines and I couldn't find a clear response. 

As long as you're comfortable with burning bridges. Sometimes it can be the best career move, other times it can damn you. Some of it depends on how you handle the situation with the people involved and you're going to have to use your best judgement. Personally, I can't fault you for doing such a thing, but I'm nobody of importance.

Being blacklisted is understandable. I'm about to email my safe school now and ask. 

I really wish programs would honor the April 15th deadline... It's frustrating as it is to just decide between all of the options. 

Anyways, thanks for the responses, I was trying to search this forum and other search engines and I couldn't find a clear response. 

I'm curious about schools not honoring the April 15th deadline here- it seemed like both of your schools did?

You said you got the offer in late April and had two weeks to decide, both of which dates would be past April 15th. 

As to the question, there's a chance you'll screw over your safe school by rescinding this late. They may lose the funding they offered you, and might not be able to transfer that funding to another candidate. They also may have lost most/all of their wait list, and just be short on students next year. 

At this point, you're not "rescinding" your acceptance, you're asking to be let out of your verbal (or actual, if you've already signed) contract with the first school. 

I'm curious about schools not honoring the April 15th deadline here- it seemed like both of your schools did?

You said you got the offer in late April and had two weeks to decide, both of which dates would be past April 15th. 

As to the question, there's a chance you'll screw over your safe school by rescinding this late. They may lose the funding they offered you, and might not be able to transfer that funding to another candidate. They also may have lost most/all of their wait list, and just be short on students next year. 

At this point, you're not "rescinding" your acceptance, you're asking to be let out of your verbal (or actual, if you've already signed) contract with the first school. 

I think the OP meant the non-safe school not honoring the April 15th deadline since they just notified him/her of the acceptance last week.

@hinhrt, it depends on how you communicate your decision to withdraw.  I revoked an acceptance from my current grad school (A) in 2012.  I went to school B and applied again to school (A) in 2013.  School B was not a good fit for me and I informed school (A) of this in my new SOP.  Again, it is all about how you address the issue.  Stay positive.  

Edited by Victoris

I think the OP meant the non-safe school not honoring the April 15th deadline since they just notified him/her of the acceptance last week.

But the April 15th deadline works the other way- they can't require you to make a decision before April 15th. There's no deadline for schools to notify you BY April 15th. 

Chances are, in both cases, he got a late notification because he was on an official or unofficial wait-list, and didn't get an admit until someone else declined the offer around April 15th. 

Honestly, it can be done and has been done. I considered it because of a late notification about an external fellowship that could only be used at certain schools. If you frame it as making the best decision for you and your career most people will understand. I doubt you will be blacklisted as FunCookie suggested. You would need to ask school A (the safe school) to release you from your agreement with them before you accept the other school's offer.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a very similar situation as you are now last year. I decided to go with the "safe" or, in my case, the less reputable school because I was on the waiting list for a fellowship that would have covered 100% of tuition and because it was more creative of a program than the selective school I was accepted to. Also, I was afraid of the repercussions of revoking the offer. I am back on this site to offer advice to those in the same situation. PLEASE go to the school that will best honor your talents and intelligence. Do not go to a school that is beneath you if you have the opportunity to go elsewhere (regardless of whether or not you've already technically accepted). It's good to be a conscientious person, but it is your life, money, and time. These things happens. However, I guess you also need to weigh the financial factors. Did the safe school give you very impressive funding while your dream offered you none? Also, does the safe school have good ratings? 

Here is one issue I didn't consider when going with the less selective option: the other students in your program. I am in a graduate writing program that should require some degree of talent in order to be accepted (and we were misled to believe the latter is the case). I am in classes with people who have no business being in any graduate 

Sorry, I posted that too soon. My main point is: please do not attend a program that is beneath you (unless there is very good reason). Unless the "safe" school is a prestigious school, who cares if you are blacklisted there (and I doubt you would be)? 

Please consider how hard you worked to get into graduate school and how much this means to you. Go with the school where you will be most surrounded by those who are on the same level and which will be most beneficial for your future career and endeavors. Think of who your colleagues will be at the safe school if it is not very selective. It is your life, your time, and your money. You can simply explain the scenario to the first school. It's your life!! Good luck! 

I was in a very similar situation as you are now last year. I decided to go with the "safe" or, in my case, the less reputable school because I was on the waiting list for a fellowship that would have covered 100% of tuition and because it was more creative of a program than the selective school I was accepted to. Also, I was afraid of the repercussions of revoking the offer. I am back on this site to offer advice to those in the same situation. PLEASE go to the school that will best honor your talents and intelligence. Do not go to a school that is beneath you if you have the opportunity to go elsewhere (regardless of whether or not you've already technically accepted). It's good to be a conscientious person, but it is your life, money, and time. These things happens. However, I guess you also need to weigh the financial factors. Did the safe school give you very impressive funding while your dream offered you none? Also, does the safe school have good ratings? 

Here is one issue I didn't consider when going with the less selective option: the other students in your program. I am in a graduate writing program that should require some degree of talent in order to be accepted (and we were misled to believe the latter is the case). I am in classes with people who have no business being in any graduate 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I am sorry to hear that your choice did not work out as you had hoped, but for people in a similar position your post is most valuable.