MLIS - Rutgers, Simmons, or SJSU???

grad

Got into Rutgers, Simmons, and SJSU's library studies programs; not sure which one to choose. I haven't heard good things about SJSU (unorganized, faculty not always available, not that rigorous of a program), but I have heard better things about Rutgers and Simmons. I am most interested in news and law librarianship, and would like to settle in Los Angeles upon graduation and get an internship in L.A. between my first and second years. I applied to UCLA, but wasn't admitted for fall 2009. I have also thought about trying to get a job or volunteer position in a library and re-applying to UCLA for fall 10, or seeing if they accept transfer students or if I would be able to take classes as a non-degree student and apply them to the MLIS if accepted. I really don't know what to do at this point and would really, really appreciate advice, especially from people in the Rutgers, Simmons, SJSU, and UCLA programs. Thank you so much!

Rutgers or reapply next year to UCLA. You can be an in-state resident at Rutgers after the first year, and they sometimes give money to current students as they get grants. Also, if you want to be a law librarian, are you planning on also getting a JD? If so, keeping your debt for your MLIS low should be a priority.

Thanks, michigan girl! I have taken your advice :)

teaganc - Why do you say Rutgers or UCLA, if you don't mind my asking? About the JD - I'm not sure yet. I think it's going to depend on whether or not I decide I want to work in a law school, as that option seems to be the only one that requires and/or strongly prefers a JD. Although, I gotta say, I think I would really relish the opportunity. Before I decided on library school, I had plans to go to law school; I have a poli sci. and history background and have always been interested in law. If I decide to more strongly pursue news librarianship I've thought about getting a journalism degree or another master's in history, world affairs, poli. sci., or something like that. Any thoughts? I would have gotten one of those degrees now, but I haven't narrowed down what field exactly I'd want to work in; I have diverse interests and liked librarianship because it offers the opportunity for diversity. Anyway, sorry to ramble and thanks again!

It will be hard to find funding for either a JD or a MA in any of the fields you listed. Not impossible, but definitely difficult. I agree with teaganc about keeping your debt low.

Thanks, michigan girl! I have taken your advice :)

teaganc - Why do you say Rutgers or UCLA, if you don't mind my asking?

Rutgers, because of the low cost; UCLA, because it seems like a better option if you want to stay in SoCal, and if are in-state, it's quite affordable. You've already explained why not SJSU. I think you'll pay a minimum of around 31,000 per year at Simmons, plus a very high cost of living, so it seems silly to do that vs. Rutgers (20k for year 1, 12k each year after as an in-state resident), especially if you are going to get JD (or even not, with the poor job market for MLIS).

Thanks teaganc for your advice!

Well, I think I'm kind of putting SJSU back in the running. I've been hearing from librarians that it doesn't so much matter WHERE your degree comes from as long as it is accredited, which SJSU is. I also really didn't want to do the online program, but I'm starting to look at it this way: SJSU will be cheaper, mostly because I won't have to move and if it really doesn't matter where your degree comes from (which I find so hard to believe, as that is rarely the case in other fields, but they say it is so) then why not save money, kick ass in class and through internships, and be on my way? Honestly, I would *love* to live on the east coast, however, is that really reason enough to go when I have an option here? Is Rutgers really going to be worth it? Also, if I stay here I can start networking and making connections in the area that I eventually want to settle in anyway. That has to be good and worth something, right? And if I still have dreams of big-name, more reputable schools, and the east coast when all is said and done, no one says I can't go back for another master's, which I've been considering anyway, or a doctorate. Of course, I'm not going to go if I don't actually want the degree itself, but still, SJSU doesn't have to be my be-all, end-all necessarily.