Coursera

HermoineG

Hello all,

I am currently enrolled in a few courses on Coursera. I am wondering if these courses will add any value to my profile, apart from my own knowledge. I remember one of my friends saying that she did put a course she took on Coursera to her resume while applying for Phd programs.

Have you guys taken specific subject related online courses and then added it to your profile? I know it would look good on my resume but would it help?

Hi PsychChick,

I too have done some courses from MOOC, I don't know whether it will help or not but I did put it on my CV and LinkedIn profile. Let's see if it brings something good to me  :P  :P

I never really considered putting my Coursera history directly on my CV. I mention the skills that those courses developed, for instance, that I know how to program in R. I suppose I never saw the value in saying "hey, I learned this on Coursera." I'd be interested to know if those skills carry more weight if they see that they were developed by faculty at University X through Coursera, rather than just appearing to be self-learned.

Have you guys taken specific subject related online courses and then added it to your profile? I know it would look good on my resume but would it help?

this is probably program-specific but i don't think it would hurt.

when i applied for my PhD my advisor was impressed that i took the social network analysis course there on Coursera but the rest of the lab where i work in didn't even know what Coursera was. so it helped me out just because my advisor knew what Coursera was.

still... you know what they say: 'the more you know...' :)

I put a field-related Coursera course I was enrolled in on my CV while applying to grad programs.  I don't know how it affected my application overall, but I don't see how it could hurt.

My boyfriend has taken a few courses and they look really nice on his CV... A mention of Harvard on your Cv looks good, even if you didnt actually study there... i'm envious that i didnt finish any... i always start them but then get cought up in school work and don't finish... 

it shows employers you have additional knowledge, and also that you are self motivated and capable of doing difficult things on your own, out of your own motivation.

Edited by psychologystudent1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joshw4288

My boyfriend has taken a few courses and they look really nice on his CV... A mention of Harvard on your Cv looks good, even if you didnt actually study there... i'm envious that i didnt finish any... i always start them but then get cought up in school work and don't finish... 

it shows employers you have additional knowledge, and also that you are self motivated and capable of doing difficult things on your own, out of your own motivation.

I think that many would see this as major CV padding and it may hurt one's applications.