what has the most weight in an application?

rileypep

sop? gre? gpa? lor? resume? writing sample? work experience? what has the most weight in an application lets say for both research/academic oriented programs and professional programs.

i think its:

SOP- 30%

GRE+ GPA- 30%

LOR- 15%

Resume-5%

Writing sample -5%

reserach or work experience - 15%

I preffer to think that admissions are made in kind of a 3-step process.

First, they cut-off unsuitable candidates very quickly.

Second, they would select the candidates who stand out in relate of program's standards. Candidates with positive highligts in the pool, like a strong LOR from a knwon faculty, extremely high GRE, impressive SOP or other particular attractiviness to the program/department get in.

Third, where most of admissions officers' time might be spent, they would have to deal with a number of qualified applicants for unfilled spots from phase 2.

I believe selection process is not linear: it is probably easier to select firs ranked candidates than to select among the bottom-ranked qualified candidates in phase 3.

well as far as international (esp. European) applicants are concerned I found a very nice study by the IEE (mostly about the acceptance of the Bologna Process)

(http://www.iie.org/Content/NavigationMe ... er2009.pdf)

One nice part, applicable to this thread was this:

page 10 -In your opinion, of the factors listed below which three are weighed

most heavily by academic departments in considering international applicants for

graduate study?

• Preparation for study in a specific field or specialization - 74%
    • Standardized test scores - 57%
      • Quality of institution(s) previously attended - 52%
        • English language ability - 50%
          • Prior experience with students or faculty from an
            institution -19%

Educational system in home country -13%

Length of undergraduate degree -12%

Other -12%

Depends on the field. I didn't even have to submit a writing sample; I did have some interviews (and those are not on your list). Sorry that's not a very interesting reply, but it's true!

I think the answer will vary by discipline and "stage" of the review process...

In philosophy, for instance, the writing sample is probably valued the most - it gives an accurate indication of the applicant's ability to perform advanced philosophical research. However, given the high number of applications received, I'm sure most departments use GPA/GRE scores to make the initial cut-off. Only those applications that are chosen for final review are given careful attention. This is where the strength of the writing sample and LORs become particularly important.

So, long story short, every piece of the application package is important - at different times. Grades/GRE scores are important for making the initial cut-off, but the quality of the writing sample and the strength of the LORs will be invaluable for securing admission in the later rounds. Finally, I suspect that the determining factor will probably be "faculty/research fit". This, I take it, is determined independently of the application materials (save, perhaps, for the SOP).

-----

As an aside, there are also the "intangibles" of an application package. I was told by a few professors (who had previously served on graduate admission committees) that certain "trends" are looked upon quite favourably. For instance, an applicant may have a mediocre GPA, but that can be offset if the student has demonstrated consistent improvement throughout their UG career. Other "intangibles" may include graduate coursework (if coming from UG), extracurricular activities (esp. teaching/tutoring), departmental service, etc.

In my experience, schools are equally concerned with character as they are with academic potential.

Great statement of purpose, great research experience, and great recommendations will get you into more programs than a great GPA or GRE score. Fact.

That said, there can't be ANY glaring weak parts of your application, otherwise you won't even merit a second look.

depends on the school & the program. Some schools want impressive stats and awards alone, while some others might want to know the person behind the numbers. Some programs need rigorous disciplinary training while others might have more to do with a 'world-view'

What I'm saying is, you wouldn't really know what-has-the-most-weight unless you research the school/program in some depth :)

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh*

The reality is, we don't know. It probably varies not only by discipline but by specific school, and by department within a school. I knew a psychology department at my old school didn't even look at the GRE scores as long as they were over the minimum threshold, and one at another school that used it as an important tool not only for admissions, but for financial aid.

If you're concerned, *ask* the schools you are applying to. You probably won't get much definite information, but you might get some generalities. One college I spoke to told me flat out that while they might admit me with my current GRE scores, they would never offer me a fellowship unless I raised them "significantly." *That's* the kind of information you want when crafting an application packet (or deciding whether to apply in the first place). And you'll only get it by talking to the school, not us.

your question is too general. the answer can be different when we apply to different schs, diff programs, master or PhD...

in general, experiences (research or wtever) and interviews are more important, provided your gre and gpa are ok.

If you're concerned, *ask* the schools you are applying to. You probably won't get much definite information, but you might get some generalities.

Or: ask grad students at those schools. Sometimes they will have served on adcoms and will know the scoop, and they may be more inclined to give you information.