Question about masters programs- research experience

hnotis

I don't have any real research experience.  I've written a few 20 page or so long research papers (one for a graduate level class I was taking as an undergrad) but I don't have any publications or presentations under my belt.

I am hoping to get a little bit of experience with this with the capstone course I'm taking next semester but I will be doing that during the same semester I'll be applying to grad schools.

So my first question is, will this lack of research experience make it difficult for me to get in to a good MA program?

I purposely am not applying to PhD programs this time arond because I don't think I would have a competitive application.

Also, I was told that it wasn't worth pursing a program that didn't offer full funding.  On the other hand, I've been told that MA programs don't generally offer full funding.  The programs that I'm applying to all have TA-ship opportunities but all on a competitive basis.  So should I just be happy if I get any funding at all since it seems hard to come by at the masters level?  Should I be okay with taking out student loans for another two years while I work on my MA and prepare for applying to PhD programs?  Or is it not worth it to go to an MA program that won't fund me fully?

Any insight into these questions would be aweseome and so very appreciated.  I just want to know if I'm wasting my time and money or if it would be reasonable to take another two years worth of loans out so that I can (hopefully) get into a fully funded PhD program.

Thanks! 

Are any of your professors around this summer doing any research? For the first few summers of undergrad I worked a full time job, but this summer I have made research a priority. It means I'll have less money, but I consider it a small investment in my future. My school is small but all my professors still work on projects throughout the summer. For example, one of my professors had a big survey data set that she just never had time for during the school year, so we spent a couple of weeks analyzing it, and now we have a conference poster submission sent in. Ask your professors if you can help out with anything at all, big or small. If publication/presentation doesn't come out of it, you can still put down on your CV that you assisted your professor for summer/fall semesters.

Also, if you think some of your larger research papers are good, you can look for places to submit them for a research award. I'm in psychology, so for things like this I look at the Psi Chi International Honors Society website. Not sure about your field, but there's always something!

I wouldn't say that this lack of experience would hurt your chances for a MA. Other candidates probably don't have tons of experience, either. As long as the rest of your stuff is good, such as GPA and GRE, I think you will be just fine. I'm pretty sure those two things are what most MA programs care about the most. At least you have the graduate level class to prove that you understand to workload and emphasis on research.

I don't know much about MA funding since I'm not applying to any, but from what I've heard in my field you're definitely more likely to get funded for a PhD than a MA. I'm only applying to PhDs because I took out lots of loans for undergrad and don't want to pay much more. Depending on the rest of your stats, it might be worth a shot to apply to PhD programs. Maybe others can provide more insight because I haven't even applied yet so I'm no expert!

Whether or not you should take out loans for a MA and be okay with it depends on a lot of things, such as the debt you already have, and how well a job in your field will pay. 

Are any of your professors around this summer doing any research? For the first few summers of undergrad I worked a full time job, but this summer I have made research a priority. It means I'll have less money, but I consider it a small investment in my future. My school is small but all my professors still work on projects throughout the summer. For example, one of my professors had a big survey data set that she just never had time for during the school year, so we spent a couple of weeks analyzing it, and now we have a conference poster submission sent in. Ask your professors if you can help out with anything at all, big or small. If publication/presentation doesn't come out of it, you can still put down on your CV that you assisted your professor for summer/fall semesters.

Also, if you think some of your larger research papers are good, you can look for places to submit them for a research award. I'm in psychology, so for things like this I look at the Psi Chi International Honors Society website. Not sure about your field, but there's always something!

I wouldn't say that this lack of experience would hurt your chances for a MA. Other candidates probably don't have tons of experience, either. As long as the rest of your stuff is good, such as GPA and GRE, I think you will be just fine. I'm pretty sure those two things are what most MA programs care about the most. At least you have the graduate level class to prove that you understand to workload and emphasis on research.

I don't know much about MA funding since I'm not applying to any, but from what I've heard in my field you're definitely more likely to get funded for a PhD than a MA. I'm only applying to PhDs because I took out lots of loans for undergrad and don't want to pay much more. Depending on the rest of your stats, it might be worth a shot to apply to PhD programs. Maybe others can provide more insight because I haven't even applied yet so I'm no expert!

Whether or not you should take out loans for a MA and be okay with it depends on a lot of things, such as the debt you already have, and how well a job in your field will pay. 

Thanks VulpesZerda!  I didn't even think to submit my papers for research awards.  I think I will look into that!  What's funny is that the one I think is best was actually for a psychology grad class, but since I wanted to take a psychology based approach to the field of communication, that might be okay!

I would talk to your professors about this. It really depends on the field and specific programs you're applying to. In my field, TAships are competitive for MA students but, people do get them. But, it may be that you're more competitive for PhD programs than you realize (though in some fields, going straight from BA to PhD is not allowed or atypical).

As for submitting your paper, it really doesn't matter what field it is in. People will be looking at the CV line and care more about the fact that you won an award than they will about what the specific paper was on. Good luck!

Does your school have a senior thesis or honors thesis program? This is another way to work on developing a substantive project in your field. But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about not having a lot of research experience.  Formal "research experience" as an application requirement seems to be more common in the sciences and certain social sciences (psychology, for example) but less common in sociology, communication and media studies. I agree with the great suggestions to try submitting to conferences or asking around your department if you're looking to improve your application for grad school, but, as risingstar said, you may be more competitive than you realize!

Even in the sciences, as an undergraduate, research can only cover so much unless its significant (high impact publication). Moreover, as in any field, its the letters of recommendations and personal statement that will get you accepted. Lacking research, GPA or GRE/Test scores might get you rejected, but its the letters, personal statement, and perhaps interviews/connections that will get you funding. 

GeoDUDE!

Thank you!  I needed to hear that.  I needed to know what other pieces of my application I could strenghten to make up for my lack of research experience and get me noticed!  I think I can get solid LORS and I have a lot of faith in my ability to write a kick-ass personal statement and statement of purpose.  I also have always done well in interviews, so I'm thinking I have a leg up on a lot of things but I could see them considering someone with more research experience.  Good to know though!