Classics Programs with terminal Masters

TTG49

Greetings,

I'm in the middle of an Master of Arts in Religion and am looking at pursuing a second masters in Classics before applying to PhD programs. Because Classics is not my primary field, I am looking for a program that offers a terminal Masters, and was wondering if any of you good folks here at Gradcafe might have advice as to the best programs which are both funded and also offer an MA in Classics. I've been looking mostly at University of Oregon, as that's closest to home for me, where my undergrad Classics Prof. got his degree, and it offers a Masters Degree with funding, but any advice on other possible programs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm also from the religion side of things. It's important to recognize the differences in admission between somewhere like YDS and a top (i.e. funded) Classics M*. From what I understand (I was in a similar situation after my first masters) the top funded classics programs are much more competitive than any of the big name Divinity Schools. As you know no doubt already know places like Yale and Harvard hover around 50-60% acceptance rate in their Divinity Schools (though the MARc is an exception, of course), which compared to almost any other M* program at such schools is insanely high. The requirements for admission to a TT classics M* generally require advanced proficiency in Greek and/or Latin (3+ yrs) and intermediate + in the other (2+ yrs). Koine Greek will not cut it nor will ecclesiastical Latin. 

Off the top of my head I believe WUSTL's program is funded and excellent, as is KU's, Notre Dame's, U Minnesota (a joint program between NELC and Classics), and there has been recent talk that Wisconsin-Madison's Semitics Dept. is joining with Classics, too. 

It will also be helpful to hear of your interests. Classics Depts tend to be a lot smaller than places like YDS and their programs are accordingly more specific (or disparate). 

cheers

I agree that it'd be helpful to know your interests, but mine might line up with yours; I'm into ancient religions/magic and superstition, and applied to Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, WUSTL, and UBC. All of them have funded masters programs. Somehow I ended up getting accepted to all of them, so feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions about them?

I know U of A and Florida are also pretty well-respected and funded; I have a friend who went to U of A for his MA and really liked it.

In addition to those listed above, UArizona and UToronto are funded, though I've heard from a faculty member at Toronto that they have more trouble accepting and funding international (including American) applicants.  Notre Dame struck me as more inclined towards medieval Latin than the others I considered, which may be of interest to you.

I'm also from the religion side of things. It's important to recognize the differences in admission between somewhere like YDS and a top (i.e. funded) Classics M*. From what I understand (I was in a similar situation after my first masters) the top funded classics programs are much more competitive than any of the big name Divinity Schools. As you know no doubt already know places like Yale and Harvard hover around 50-60% acceptance rate in their Divinity Schools (though the MARc is an exception, of course), which compared to almost any other M* program at such schools is insanely high. The requirements for admission to a TT classics M* generally require advanced proficiency in Greek and/or Latin (3+ yrs) and intermediate + in the other (2+ yrs). Koine Greek will not cut it nor will ecclesiastical Latin. 

Off the top of my head I believe WUSTL's program is funded and excellent, as is KU's, Notre Dame's, U Minnesota (a joint program between NELC and Classics), and there has been recent talk that Wisconsin-Madison's Semitics Dept. is joining with Classics, too. 

It will also be helpful to hear of your interests. Classics Depts tend to be a lot smaller than places like YDS and their programs are accordingly more specific (or disparate). 

cheers

Thanks for your response! I will be looking into all of those programs--Minnesota's looks especially intriguing. BTW, I should have enough preparation in both classical languages, with 3+ years of Classical Latin in undergrad, and having taken Classical Greek graduate courses at Yale's GSAS, from which I'll also have a letter of rec from one of the Classics profs, and so altogether I think I'd have a decent shot anywhere that I apply (I hope so, anyway).

I agree that it'd be helpful to know your interests, but mine might line up with yours; I'm into ancient religions/magic and superstition, and applied to Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, WUSTL, and UBC. All of them have funded masters programs. Somehow I ended up getting accepted to all of them, so feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions about them?

I know U of A and Florida are also pretty well-respected and funded; I have a friend who went to U of A for his MA and really liked it.

I guess, as broadly as possible, I would say I'm interested in Roman Imperial culture and religion, as I will be looking at how the NT interacts with Roman Imperial culture. Additionally, my undergrad in English, with a lot of theory (esp. Foucault and Derrida), makes Archaic Greek conceptions of truth and poetry especially intriguing to me, so I guess a program that is strong in critical theory, and especially poststructuralism, would be a bonus. But my main concern would be the Roman Imperial period. 

I am only really beginning to research Classics programs, so I really appreciate the feedback I've received so far!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, 

I am planning on applying to University of Arizona for an MA in Classical Archaeology. It has been my top choice for over two years. Does anyone have a format/outline/order suggestion for writing my personal statement? 

Logically you should write about what you want to study in the program, what your post-MA goals are, and why UA is the best place for you based on those particular things.

You should have some kind of idea what your specialty might be (e.g. are you more interested in Greek or Roman archaeology, what specific period for either of those, etc). That said you don't need to be worried about being hyper specific since it's not a PhD program.

You can mention specific faculty you might like to work with if you want--even after talking with multiple professors about this it still isn't clear whether you should or not when applying for graduate school--I did in my statement, but others in my cohort didn't. Either way for an MA it probably doesn't make a difference, I can't see any of the professors at UA refusing to supervise exams or to serve on a thesis committee.

Edited by Pius Aeneas

Ok, thanks! That was really helpful. How much time should I talk about how my undergrad experience has prepared me for grad study? Or should I just worry about that on my CV? UA asks that in our letter of intent we write about our professional goals and ambitions, why I want an advanced degree, and what emphasis I will pursue. 

Don't just repeat what's on your cv. If there's a particular item on your cv that you think makes you a good fit for the program, then elaborate on it.

For your background focus on how it informs your decision to pursue Classics and what you want to accomplish at the UofA by building on that foundation.

Emphasis is just your subfield--Philology, Ancient History, Archaeology, or Latin Pedagogy.