FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

So what is the likelihood of acceptance without an interview? I know many programs do not require interviews, but I notice many posters have already heard back from some schools regarding interviews and/or admission (either acceptance or rejection). Granted, I did reach out to faculty from most of the schools to which I've applied and exchanged emails/phone conversations and Skype months ago, but that doesn't replace a formal interview, does it?

Side note: While I still have yet to hear any official responses, 3 programs did contact me asking me to submit additional material for funding opportunities. I understand that does not equate to acceptance, but how common is that prior to an acceptance? Were any of you asked to submit a proposal for a Mellon Fellowship or encouraged to apply for a FLAS, etc.?

So what is the likelihood of acceptance without an interview? I know many programs do not require interviews, but I notice many posters have already heard back from some schools regarding interviews and/or admission (either acceptance or rejection). Granted, I did reach out to faculty from most of the schools to which I've applied and exchanged emails/phone conversations and Skype months ago, but that doesn't replace a formal interview, does it?

I didn't have any pre-admissions contact with any of the schools I've been accepted to so far- they didn't contact me for interviews, and I didn't contact any faculty either before or after I sent in my application.

I actually asked a couple of professors whether or not I should send POIs emails during the application process, and they said not to bother.  It could be different depending upon your subfield, but apparently for phonetics it's not expected at all... and considering one of the professors I asked does a lot of sociophonetics, it may not be for sociolinguistics either!

Had a Skype "interview" with one of my POIs at McGill today. She asked how I got interested in linguistics. The rest was mostly about my research interests, especially because my interests relate to a few things they do there, so it felt like a nice conversation about linguistics rather than my character or something. She encouraged me to contact them if I have any other questions about anything at all, so I think I'll try to do that to show even more enthusiasm (if a question really comes up).

I don't know what it all means, but considering I've been so nervous about this I'm going to be patient and work on my current school stuff. :P

Today while I was at work I had a missed call from a blocked number and my first thought was, "that was probably either a POI or the mafia." My brain is so weird.

Lol this happens to me too! And then it's a random wrong number from Michigan...

Lol this happens to me too! And then it's a random wrong number from Michigan...

Haha! I'm actually kind of glad that it only shows up as "restricted," because if it said one of the states my schools are in, I'd probably freak out.  :rolleyes:

Had a Skype "interview" with one of my POIs at McGill today. She asked how I got interested in linguistics. The rest was mostly about my research interests, especially because my interests relate to a few things they do there, so it felt like a nice conversation about linguistics rather than my character or something. She encouraged me to contact them if I have any other questions about anything at all, so I think I'll try to do that to show even more enthusiasm (if a question really comes up).

I don't know what it all means, but considering I've been so nervous about this I'm going to be patient and work on my current school stuff. :P

Mind telling me who your POI is?

My POI (Maryland) was supposed to interview me 2 hours ago, but he didn't call me. ._.

That's odd.. did you send them an email asking about the missed appointment? I wouldn't worry too too much, if this was a mistake on their part, I am certain that they will reschedule as soon as they realize it.

My POI (Maryland) was supposed to interview me 2 hours ago, but he didn't call me. ._.

They probably just put it down for the wrong date. Happened to me, too, also with someone from Maryland (I wonder if it is the same person =)), only they tried calling me a couple of days earlier than scheduled. Nothing to worry about, just reschedule the interview.

Edited by onzeheures30

Apparently he had some problems traveling to Maryland and we just rescheduled it to Sunday. *phew*

Yay!! :)

This process is starting to be really fun! I've gotten so many different research ideas talking with my POIs, and I feel like my first year is going to be so productive and awesome!!

So, I got my first interview! At Stony Brook!

Actually, I just finished it :)

I got an email from my POI yesterday night asking for an interview, to which I replied as fast as I could ( SB is in my top 3), so we scheduled a Skype call for today.

I was so so so nervous. I loved it.  My POI was great: super nice and interesting. We talked a lot about my background and his research projects and the more he talked the more I falled in love with the department (really computational oriented, but with a focus on theoretical stuff and Minimalism which is rare in CL programs).

So I think it went very well, let's hope for the best.

In case there is somebody else here interested in SB feel free to PM me. He told me that they are planning an open house in march, so they hope to finish up with interviews in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Garyon

I got an email from my POI yesterday night asking for an interview, ti which I replied as fast as I could ( SB is in my top 3), so we scheduled a Skype call for today.

I loved it. I was so so so nervous. My POI was great: super nice and interesting. We talked a lot about my background and his research project and the more he talked the kore I was in love with the department (really computational oriented, but with a focus on theoretical stuff and Minimalism which is rare in CL programs).

In case there is somebody else here interested in SB feel free to PM me. He told me that they are planning an open house in march, so they hope to finish up with interviews in the next couple of weeks.

Yay congrats!!!!! :D 

I got an email from my POI yesterday night asking for an interview, to which I replied as fast as I could ( SB is in my top 3), so we scheduled a Skype call for today.

I was so so so nervous. I loved it.  My POI was great: super nice and interesting. We talked a lot about my background and his research projects and the more he talked the more I falled in love with the department (really computational oriented, but with a focus on theoretical stuff and Minimalism which is rare in CL programs).

Didn't I tell you?! Hope you get accepted, and you should definitely go to make a good impression.

I had both of my interviews with Maryland today, and my secondary POI said that I was one of their top choices because of my wide range of interests. Maryland is definitely one of my top two choices along with MIT, so I hope they want me. :<

Oh, and for people who had an interview with Maryland: you can still get accepted if you don't get invited to the open house.

Edited by Chiki

I had both of my interviews with Maryland today, and my secondary POI said that I was one of their top choices because of my wide range of interests. Maryland is definitely one of my top two choices along with MIT, so I hope they want me. :<

Yai! Great!

I'm new here. Haven't heard anything from any institution, and boston is blocked for the scary blizzard.

Should I send out some e-mails to ask if they are sending out interviews or not? Still feel it does not help at all...

I'm new here. Haven't heard anything from any institution, and boston is blocked for the scary blizzard.

Should I send out some e-mails to ask if they are sending out interviews or not? Still feel it does not help at all...

Welcome!! :)

Honestly, I would not email. You don't want to come across as annoying to the department... I would look at the Results Search here: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php. You can search for the programs you applied to and see when they generally respond. In general, linguistics programs tend not to do interviews. These are the three common procedures I've seen:

1) No interview; if you are admitted you get invited to Open House to see if you like the department.

2) Invited to Open House, but not officially admitted. At Open House, the department makes sure you're not literally insane and then offers you admission afterwards.

3) Skype interview beforehand, and then either 1) or 2) happens.

I'm not sure which programs you applied to, but hopefully that was at least somewhat helpful!

2) Invited to Open House, but not officially admitted. At Open House, the department makes sure you're not literally insane and then offers you admission afterwards.

:D  :D  :D

Welcome!! :)

Honestly, I would not email. You don't want to come across as annoying to the department... I would look at the Results Search here: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php. You can search for the programs you applied to and see when they generally respond. In general, linguistics programs tend not to do interviews. These are the three common procedures I've seen:

1) No interview; if you are admitted you get invited to Open House to see if you like the department.

3) Skype interview beforehand, and then either 1) or 2) happens.

I'm not sure which programs you applied to, but hopefully that was at least somewhat helpful!

Thanks a lot.

I've checked the result search, it seems that Georgetown never did any interviews in histroy.

Still waiting for U Toronto and UIUC, hopefully I can get at least an interview. >_<

Just had a very smooth interview with UPenn; I'm supposed to hear from them in about 2 weeks.

The person I had an interview with is coming to UMass at the same time. >___> If I don't get accepted...

UPenn is a great school! Good luck!