Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

It was for the Ph.D program and just to set up a phone interview. I declined as I have already accepted an offer at BGSU. They were my other top choice though and I had written them off as a rejection since I hadn't heard anything...

I have officially accepted my offer at Wright State! Let me know if you're also attending! In turn, I rejected offers from the University of Houston and Northern Illinois University. I hope this helps people out!

Edited by BuzzinAround

First time poster here. I'm currently applying to the MS program at Baruch. I've already applied to the masters program at SPU. I was invited to a group interview session, but unfortunately I didn't make the final cut. Is anyone else here applying to Baruch's masters program? They're very secretive when it comes to information regarding accepted applicants. As far as I can tell (from SIOP and from speaking with their advisor), my GRE scores fall in line with what they've accepted. My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.1 at University & 3.3 at Community College

GRE: 159 V & 154 Q

3 years work experience in a research lab, 1 quarter I/O research experience under an I/O professor. 

2 glowing letters of rec.

My GPA is obviously a weak point in my application, although there were some extenuating circumstances with regard to my University GPA. I'm not exactly sure how to present that in my application, because I don't want to come off as making excuses (that and it's a very personal matter). Seeing the credentials of some other posters has me a bit worried to say the least. 

Edited by eagereyez

Anyone have any insider info for DePaul? I can't get a straight answer about the wait-list. You can PM me if you don't want to post, it's one of my last schools I'm waiting to hear from.

First time poster here. I'm currently applying to the MS program at Baruch. I've already applied to the masters program at SPU. I was invited to a group interview session, but unfortunately I didn't make the final cut. Is anyone else here applying to Baruch's masters program? They're very secretive when it comes to information regarding accepted applicants. As far as I can tell (from SIOP and from speaking with their advisor), my GRE scores fall in line with what they've accepted. My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.1 at University & 3.3 at Community College

GRE: 159 V & 154 Q

3 years work experience in a research lab, 1 quarter I/O research experience under an I/O professor. 

2 glowing letters of rec.

My GPA is obviously a weak point in my application, although there were some extenuating circumstances with regard to my University GPA. I'm not exactly sure how to present that in my application, because I don't want to come off as making excuses (that and it's a very personal matter). Seeing the credentials of some other posters has me a bit worried to say the least. 

Definitely address it in your application, I think most advice specifically references a poor GPA as something you need to explain. If you have legit extenuating circumstances than I think it won't come off as an excuse. But don't leave them wondering about it. One thing I did, which you might be able to do, is have one of your recommenders reference it. I did that to address deficiencies in my GRE scores, though it didn't help much I think it will work well, I'm only aware of one or two programs that listened, for GPA it will be better. I think it matters what your circumstances are, also what is your J/S GPA and PSY GPA? If you showed that you applied yourself later and/or did best in your major courses then at least you can show you are capable of a good GPA. You got 81th percentile for GRE-V and 56th for GRE-Q, so if you can explain your GPA you should be good, especially since I think your GPA is close to Masters averages.

TL:DR Below

I'd be lying if I had any idea how much that GPA is hurting you. But the GRE exists because GPAs are sort of useless. Both in the between and within variation GPA is not a standardized or significant predictor. I mean in general a high GPA means you play the game well, whether a class requires you to show up to every class, combine book and lecture material, or regurgitate text or lecture stuff. In this sense it's useful for grad school predictive success, but since you can't control for rigor across professors, majors, and institutions the GRE was needed as a standardized measure of aptitude. Though UGPA is used differently, "the best predictor of future performance is past performance", and the GRE is aptitude.

People weigh in on this, because if I go through another Session my GPAs will be different. In my apps my Cumulative GPA was 3.685, which includes some completely unrelated trade school classes from my brief stint as an IBEW Apprentice Electrician, my J/S GPA was 3.758 and my PSY GPA was 4.0. But with grad school apps, and this weird pre-med class PSY majors have to take at my school I got my first PSY B last semester, a C in a 4 credit hour anatomy course and they did a bait and switch on my second stats class so I'm having trouble with the new professor. So my GPA will take a hit, but I'm sure my current GRE Q of 147 is inaccurate since I took the test wrong (in order spending too much time on stuff I'm bad at and not getting to the stats stuff I'm good at).

I feel like GPA is usually just treated as a minimum (no evidence of this of course) but since I have always had a high enough UGPA I've never given it thought. I will ask these questions to a professor in the known but I'm sure you guys have asked this already. I know Masters GPA can be important if you go for a masters before applying for PhD.

Hi Everyone,

Just found out this thread after I have accepted the offer from NYU's I/O Masters!!!

I'm very excited about this program and since it's a small intake of 20-30 students I'm really looking forward to meet some of the future classmates here! 

I also applied to a bunch of other programs and got rejected from some and admitted into some. But I'm happy with the result!!!

Edited by miooim

My adviser was telling me how frustrating this point in the year is for the faculty in our program, and programs in general.  The faculty keep getting emails from wait list students asking for updates.  But they can't give updates because they are waiting for students who are holding on to multiple offers from other programs to decide.  And they are loosing out on some of the the potential students because they are getting snatched up by other programs. I don't think I have ever seen my adviser this frustrated.   I was told they have one student who informed them that they are trying to decide between four offers.

My question is, who holds on to that many offers at once?

I hope I have multiple offers to decide between next year when I am applying again to Ph.D. programs, but I promise to only hold on to my top one or two offers at any one point and let the others go as soon as possible :-)

Yeah, it is a frustrating process for everyone. I received 4 offers as well, but have let go of 2. I will likely let go of the 3rd tomorrow. I am still waiting to hear from 2 programs though that are as strong or stronger than my current best offer depending on the funding offered.

Well if they updated people they wouldn't get the emails. I sent e-mails because there were programs I hadn't heard from yet who I knew had to have made their short lists and their official rejections but I hadn't heard anything from. I don't need constant updates, but tell me if I'm in the running or in the trash already.

Setite- Can't agree more! Just tell me if I'm out or if their is a reasonable chance, so I can sit tight or move on.

Have you guys heard from san jose state or cal state san bernardino??

Cal State San Bernardino had not replied at all. When I asked them back in February they told me that they will notify us of their decision sometime in April. Spots for the masters program are a little tight this year they said. There are 72 applicants and they are only accepting 12.  

Cal State San Bernardino had not replied at all. When I asked them back in February they told me that they will notify us of their decision sometime in April. Spots for the masters program are a little tight this year they said. There are 72 applicants and they are only accepting 12.  

There is a new result posted about someone being accepted to the CSUSB Masters program, in case you didn't see it.

Ph.D Programs:

1) Central Michigan University (Rejected by email on February 18th, 2015)   :( 

2) Wright State University

3) Virginia Tech (Rejected by email on March 18th, 2015)   :( 

4) University of Houston  

5) University of Missouri, St. Louis (Made the short list by email on February 13th, 2015)   ^_^   

6) Florida Institute of Technology (Rejected by email on March 24th, 2015)   :( 

7) Claremont Graduate University (Accepted to the Masters of Arts in Organizational Behavior Psychology & Evaluation by email on March 18th, 2015)   :wub:  

8) Roosevelt University 

9) Louisiana Tech University (Got an interview on March 19th, 2015)   ^_^ 

10) Illinois Institute of Technology (Accepted to the Masters of Science in Personal and Human Resource Development by phone on March 2nd, 2015)   :D 

Masters Programs:

1) San Francisco State University

2) Cal State San Bernardino 

3) Missouri State University (Made the wait list by email on March 1st, 2015)   ^_^

4) University of Baltimore (Accepted to the Masters of Science in Applied Psychology by email on March 26th, 2015)  :D  

Overall GPA:3.63

Psychology GPA: 3.85

GRE Scores: 

Verbal154/170 (63% percentile). 

Math: 148/170 (32% percentile). 

Writing: 5.0/6.0 (93% percentile)

3 Rejections: (Central Michigan University, Virginia Tech, Florida Institute of Technology)

3 Acceptances(Illinois Institute of Technology, Claremont Graduate University, University of Baltimore) 

2 Wait list(University of Missouri - St. Louis, Missouri State University) 

1 Interview:  (Louisiana Tech University) 

5 Waiting: (Wright State University, Roosevelt University, University of Houston, San Francisco State University, Cal State San Bernardino) 

Ph.D Programs:

1) Central Michigan University (Rejected by email on February 18th, 2015)   :( 

2) Wright State University

3) Virginia Tech (Rejected by email on March 18th, 2015)   :( 

4) University of Houston  

5) University of Missouri, St. Louis (Made the short list by email on February 13th, 2015)   ^_^   

6) Florida Institute of Technology (Rejected by email on March 24th, 2015)   :( 

7) Claremont Graduate University (Accepted to the Masters of Arts in Organizational Behavior Psychology & Evaluation by email on March 18th, 2015)   :wub:  

8) Roosevelt University 

9) Louisiana Tech University (Got an interview on March 19th, 2015)   ^_^ 

10) Illinois Institute of Technology (Accepted to the Masters of Science in Personal and Human Resource Development by phone on March 2nd, 2015)   :D 

Masters Programs:

1) San Francisco State University

2) Cal State San Bernardino 

3) Missouri State University (Made the wait list by email on March 1st, 2015)   ^_^

4) University of Baltimore (Accepted to the Masters of Science in Applied Psychology by email on March 26th, 2015)  :D  

Overall GPA:3.63

Psychology GPA: 3.85

GRE Scores: 

Verbal154/170 (63% percentile). 

Math: 148/170 (32% percentile). 

Writing: 5.0/6.0 (93% percentile)

3 Rejections: (Central Michigan University, Virginia Tech, Florida Institute of Technology)

3 Acceptances(Illinois Institute of Technology, Claremont Graduate University, University of Baltimore) 

2 Wait list(University of Missouri - St. Louis, Missouri State University) 

1 Interview:  (Louisiana Tech University) 

5 Waiting: (Wright State University, Roosevelt University, University of Houston, San Francisco State University, Cal State San Bernardino) 

You should put most of that in your signature and just post the changes. Very long post in big letters.

I've taken myself off of the wait list at Albany; I believe one of their slots has recently freed up for admission and they are reaching into the wait list to gauge potential interest. Hope this is helpful to anyone on the bubble! I also declined my admission to George mason's MA program as well.

goemg, when did you hear back from the GMU MA? I have been waiting to heard back from them and have heard nothing. Perhaps because my application was a failed PhD that rolled over?

goemg, when did you hear back from the GMU MA? I have been waiting to heard back from them and have heard nothing. Perhaps because my application was a failed PhD that rolled over?

I heard back from them the weekend before last, a little less than two weeks ago. I only applied for the MA, didn't think I could get into the PhD, in hindsight maybe I should have done it anyways since I didn't know it would count for both. It was just an email; no interview or prior contact.