Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

You guys declining and accepting offers already are bad ass! I wish I was you! Well I fly to STL in 14.5 hours for the UMSL Visit Day, pray for me guys. I'm surprisingly unstressed about all this, just not digging the unknown.

Has anyone else heard from Missouri State University about the MS program?

Hello d3v2015,

Missouri State University said on its website "Admission to our Master's program is very competitive and decisions regarding acceptances will begin on March 1st,2015." So they already sent out their offers and made the wait list. With that being said, I don't think you should count yourself out just yet. 

You guys declining and accepting offers already are bad ass! I wish I was you! Well I fly to STL in 14.5 hours for the UMSL Visit Day, pray for me guys. I'm surprisingly unstressed about all this, just not digging the unknown.

It's far better to go in slightly relaxed because otherwise your nerves are just off the wall and you'll become awkward and clumsy. But good luck!

Hello d3v2015,

Missouri State University said on its website "Admission to our Master's program is very competitive and decisions regarding acceptances will begin on March 1st,2015." So they already sent out their offers and made the wait list. With that being said, I don't think you should count yourself out just yet. 

Where are you seeing that? Are we talking about the same program? http://psychology.missouristate.edu/io/ 

You'll do great!

Update to my last post, I received an email from the Florida Institute of Technology that I was accepted to the Master's I/O program (I applied Ph.D.) Does anyone have thoughts about this/Anyone considering this offer? Congratulations to everyone who committed this week!!

Update to my last post, I received an email from the Florida Institute of Technology that I was accepted to the Master's I/O program (I applied Ph.D.) Does anyone have thoughts about this/Anyone considering this offer? Congratulations to everyone who committed this week!!

This gives you a chance to prove you either do or do not belong at their graduate program. If you really want to go there and can handle the finances then I'd say go for it and after a year or whatever they deem necessary petition to join the Ph.D program. if you get better offers elsewhere, then I would pursue those instead. It really depends on what your other options are.

Yea IIT gave me a masters offer instead of PhD, but I guess their PhD is not funded so its the same. At GMU if you opt in you can be considered for maters after being denied PhD. I'll only go that route if I don't get into a funded PhD elsewhere. Unless there were some guarantee that you can move to PhD if you do well enough, otherwise it seems to risky to me.

I just wanted to pop in and give a word of advice. Having been through 3 application cycles (1 masters, 2 PhD), I think I am somewhat qualified to impart some words of wisdom.

I would carefully consider paying for a PhD program. Your passion can blind you to economic realities. You should not take on more debt than what you can reasonably expect your first year's gross salary after getting a job. Remember that the data for average I/O salary is heavily skewed by outliers (you should have researched this) and does not separate academic salaries from industry salaries. I went in thinking I wanted to become a consultant. An internship and my current advisory has made me heavily lean towards academia as a career path. That means I will likely make less money than had I gone the consulting route. Priorities and interests change. 

I did a masters and I took on debt to do so. It was the right choice for me because I needed to prove that I could do graduate level work given my mediocre undergrad GPA. If there are areas in your application that are more easily addressed, I would strongly recommend taking the year to do that instead of doing a masters because you think it will give you a leg up. The bigger lesson here is not to be impulsive in your decision-making simply because you want to get in. This extends to what offer to take if you were fortunate enough to be extended offers you like.

The cycle after I completed my master's, I applied to PhD programs and I got one sure offer and another really good potential offer. I found out through graduate students at the visitation weekend that the latter offer would not be good for me for reasons I won't mention. So I essentially declined all offers (i.e., intentionally shot myself in the foot at the bad-fit place) and did another cycle. I am now at a much more prestigious program with an advisor that I deeply admire, one who is shaping me to be a better person in addition to being a productive researcher. Had I gone the "easy" route, I would be infinitely worse off. Don't settle or sell yourself short. Do whatever it takes to get into the very best program for you and your needs now while also seriously considering what your long game is. Good luck and take care.

A few people mentioned the master's program at GMU having a pathway to the PhD program. I just wanted to weigh in, as this was a question I asked some of the faculty when I was working as an RA there. Basically, for first two years the MA and PhD students take identical classes. Most MAs work or have internships, while the PhDs are spending spare time doing research and teaching. MAs are encouraged to do research too, if time allows. Then, the MAs must apply for the doctoral program, like all other applicants. But if you have shown that you are a good student and you have been involved in research, you have an extremely good shot of getting in. Nothing is guaranteed, but if you have already built relationships with faculty and have ongoing research projects, you will have a serious leg up over unknown applocants.

I declined my offers at Kansas State and Old Dominion. I hope this helps someone. 

And a note on anyone admitted to ODU and considering accepting: make sure you know your funding situation before you accept there! This year they accepted more students than they could offer funding to.

I have my interview with Louisiana Tech University next Saturday. Does anyone have any pointers about the types of questions a grad school interview would entail? 

I am very nervous.  :unsure:

You should find this blog really helpful. I sure did! http://neoacademic.com/2011/08/10/grad-school-preparing-for-inteviews-and-visits/#.VP2cWkI2yha

Does anyone know anything about the credibility/quality of I/O programs at the University of New Haven or Springfield college? I set the bar low for myself as far as where I applied because I was not a Psychology major as an undergrad and was worried that that would hurt my chances.  Now, that I've been accepted to a few places I'm having a bit of a hard time evaluating them and making a decision. 

I got a phone interview for SFSU. Does anyone have any idea or advice on what I should expect?! The email said it will be four interview questions.

Does anyone know anything about the credibility/quality of I/O programs at the University of New Haven or Springfield college? I set the bar low for myself as far as where I applied because I was not a Psychology major as an undergrad and was worried that that would hurt my chances.  Now, that I've been accepted to a few places I'm having a bit of a hard time evaluating them and making a decision. 

UNH has a really good reputation in the North East.  If you plan to go applied, and stay in that area, you will do fine.  

Can anyone give me any information on Columbia's masters program? I applied for their PhD and was rejected, but they gave me a master's program offer with a decent scholarship. I'm mostly interested in job placement after graduation as well as internship opportunities. It seems like NYC would be ideal for that, but they also seem to accept a lot  of people into their program.

UNH has a really good reputation in the North East.  If you plan to go applied, and stay in that area, you will do fine.  

Awesome, thanks for the reply

I just wanted to pop in and give a word of advice. Having been through 3 application cycles (1 masters, 2 PhD), I think I am somewhat qualified to impart some words of wisdom.

I would carefully consider paying for a PhD program. Your passion can blind you to economic realities. You should not take on more debt than what you can reasonably expect your first year's gross salary after getting a job. Remember that the data for average I/O salary is heavily skewed by outliers (you should have researched this) and does not separate academic salaries from industry salaries. I went in thinking I wanted to become a consultant. An internship and my current advisory has made me heavily lean towards academia as a career path. That means I will likely make less money than had I gone the consulting route. Priorities and interests change. 

I did a masters and I took on debt to do so. It was the right choice for me because I needed to prove that I could do graduate level work given my mediocre undergrad GPA. If there are areas in your application that are more easily addressed, I would strongly recommend taking the year to do that instead of doing a masters because you think it will give you a leg up. The bigger lesson here is not to be impulsive in your decision-making simply because you want to get in. This extends to what offer to take if you were fortunate enough to be extended offers you like.

The cycle after I completed my master's, I applied to PhD programs and I got one sure offer and another really good potential offer. I found out through graduate students at the visitation weekend that the latter offer would not be good for me for reasons I won't mention. So I essentially declined all offers (i.e., intentionally shot myself in the foot at the bad-fit place) and did another cycle. I am now at a much more prestigious program with an advisor that I deeply admire, one who is shaping me to be a better person in addition to being a productive researcher. Had I gone the "easy" route, I would be infinitely worse off. Don't settle or sell yourself short. Do whatever it takes to get into the very best program for you and your needs now while also seriously considering what your long game is. Good luck and take care.

Thanks for this. I've been accepted to two fully-funded PhDs at good schools, but at the end of the day I don't feel like either of them fit well, so I am seriously considering waiting another year and applying again. It's a bit terrifying but it seems like a better option than spending 5 years at a place I don't really want to be. I'm not sure I would have seriously considered that option if you hadn't posted this. 

Edited by toastytoast

Thanks for this. I've been accepted to two fully-funded PhDs at good schools, but at the end of the day I don't feel like either of them fit well, so I am seriously considering waiting another year and applying again. It's a bit terrifying but it seems like a better option than spending 5 years at a place I don't really want to be. I'm not sure I would have seriously considered that option if you hadn't posted this. 

Semi-selfish plug, but if one of them is UMSL then please do wait or decline.

In all reality, I'm with you on that difficult decision. I'm not in as fortunate a boat as you yet, I'm in the position of deciding between Master's and trying to petition for PhD or waiting another cycle. For you, whether or not the fit is good if you don't feel there is a fit then it may not go well. What are you basing your lack of fit assumptions on? I am curious if they are things that are concrete or malleable.

It seems like this year has been the most competitive year so far from what schools have been telling me. Most schools I applied to have over 100+ applicants and are only accepting 2-4 students this year. This is crazy!! now I sort of know how it feels to be a Clinical Psych applicant.