Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

I have no idea. I know someone earlier mentioned doing this earlier and seeing that they were accepted when they poked around the schools management system. Do you see that anywhere? When you generate an application many schools put you in the system as part of the process. I think it may just be part of the process from a technical standpoint. I imagine it's that case for almost everyone, so I wouldn't read into it either way.

Thanks for the response. I just needed someone to tell me to make my brain shut up and stop reading into everything. Stupid brain!  :)

I'm on a grand total of 6 wait lists (8 if you count masters programs) with only 1 masters acceptance at this point. April 15th can't come soon enough.

Woah! That's great. You are bound to get an acceptances at that point ... very high chance there buddy. I only have 2 wait lists, 1 Ph.D and one Masters and one acceptance. 

Good job. 

I'm on a grand total of 6 wait lists (8 if you count masters programs) with only 1 masters acceptance at this point. April 15th can't come soon enough.

I know it may seem nuts but I wish I was on that many waitlists. I've only been notified of one waitlist, most of the schools have gotten official rejections in by now. I think USF actually sent me 3 separate rejections :), I don't know if that means there is some clerical problems or they rejected me so hard they want to make sure I never apply again.

BTW, the Penn State rejection was sort of weird. It's like being placed insanely deep on the waiting list. It mentions that the April Shuffle could make an offer possible but very unlikely. The only nice thing about it, is that it's super short and almost seems like it isn't generic. I hate the rejections where it takes me more than 10 seconds to locate the rejection sentence.

I second what StartWithTheEndInMind said, with that many waitlists it's reasonable to assume you will get in once the top applicants start releasing offers during the April Shuffle. I'd be much less unsure if I was in your shoes. 축하해유

Edited by setite

Has anyone heard anything from Akron besides the one person who reported a rejection on the results page? I got a call weeks ago to ask if I was still interested, but nothing since then.

Has anyone heard anything from Akron besides the one person who reported a rejection on the results page? I got a call weeks ago to ask if I was still interested, but nothing since then.

You are a superstar with all these acceptances! You must have a phenomenal application. 

I got a call from Akron today letting me know I was high on the wait list and may get an offer next week. She said their visiting day was last week so anyone who hasn't heard otherwise is probably waitlisted as well.

setite:

when did you hear back from UMSL? 

Depends on what you mean. When did I hear about their short list? I heard about that on Feb 13th. I went to their visit day on March 8th. I haven't heard anything meaningful since then. I'm still hoping to get an offer from them.

I have heard nothing from Akron. I contacted my POI, but he told me that he was on sabbatical so he wasn't part of the process. I wish he had told me that last semester when I contacted him. I still would have contacted him as his research is the basis of my intended research, but I would have reached out to a second POI. At this point I'm 90% sure if I don't get into a PhD offer that I will wait till next season.

Edited by setite

You are a superstar with all these acceptances! You must have a phenomenal application. 

Thanks a lot! I was fortunate enough to be able to get research experience while working full-time in my day job, so I could dedicate a lot of effort into preparing my application, which I know a lot of people who are full-time students or with other obligations are not able to do.

Must be!  But please tell me you aren't still holding on to all those offers? ;-)

Haha no, I am not that cruel! Four have been released "back into the wild" and one more is about to be, leaving me with three to decide between.

I got a call from Akron today letting me know I was high on the wait list and may get an offer next week. She said their visiting day was last week so anyone who hasn't heard otherwise is probably waitlisted as well.

Thanks so much for the info, that makes sense. There's nothing as fun as being waitlisted, lol.

I got my acceptance to SF State's master's program tonight.  So for anyone that got interviewed, decisions are coming fast.

I got my acceptance to SF State's master's program tonight.  So for anyone that got interviewed, decisions are coming fast.

Great News! It also answers one of my questions. I know Spring break for students is not spring break for professors, but I wasn't sure if we would see any movement on applications this week. Even though it seems like an ideal time, I was also under the impression that there are no visits/interviews this week though it seems the best time to me.

I got an acceptance from them tonight too!

bcaitlin:

Would you mind sharing the schools you have applied for?

Sure, though I'm going to skip some of the ones with smaller programs. Got into and later declined Kansas State and Old Dominion, got into and am considering Bowling Green and University of Illinois, rejected (99% sure but I haven't seen the rejection page other applicants have reported) at Minnesota, waitlisted at Michigan State and it sounds like maybe Akron as well. Every place I applied was to I/O PhD programs.

I applied there and I haven't heard back from them at all! Yikes ... that is definitely a rejection I am assuming. 

You could still possibly be on their wait list.  Hopefully you'll hear from them soon one.

Just wanted to let any interested parties know that I've accepted an offer to USF. So I just released offers to Baruch and Columbia (MA), and removed myself from waitlist at UConn, Rice, George Mason, and Wayne State. Best of luck to everybody who is still waiting. And if it's any consolation to those who don't get the results they want this cycle, I applied last year (as a senior undergrad) and got zero acceptances. I decided to spend an extra year doing io resesrch. I was also able to boost my GREs significantly and retool my personal statement. It paid off for me, so if you're really comitted, don't give up!

Congrats UMG! I'll see you in the fall at USF as I accepted there too!

Edited by Wrellie