Professional Memberships

tspier2

Now that I've put together a polished CV, I've been thinking about professional memberships. Which organizations/societies do you belong to? I know there's no "magic number" for the ideal amount, but I'm wondering what you've all seen for graduate students in your experience. Thanks!

I only belong to two societies: the American Astronomical Society (AAS) and the Canadian Astronomical Society / Société Canadienne d’Astronomie (CASCA). However, the AAS has divisions for specific fields of study, and these divisions hold their own annual society conferences too so I am also a member of two divisions related to my work (membership dues are like $5 more for these divisions). 

As for how much is too much -- I would say that it's probably worth it to be a member of 1) the national society for your field in the country/countries you want to work in and 2) the societies for the conferences you regularly attend and 3) not to be part of so many societies that you are wasting your money on dues. One good tip is some American ______ Society/Associations have partnerships with their equivalence in other countries (e.g. AAS and CASCA) so you can be a member of both at a reduced rate sometimes.

I belong to 3 national ones: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, American Association of Teachers of German, and American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, and one state foreign language association.

The American Chemical Society and the Royal Society of Chemistry (since I'm from the UK).

I think that 2 is the maximum I've seen for grad students, and that I'm in fact something of an outlier. 

When did you join the societies?  I would like to join two the ACA ( American Counseling Association) and then one for counselors in my state.  Should I join now in the summer before I begin graduate school or wait until I'm taking classes.  I've already been accepted to a school and I have registered for the fall. 

I belong to three professional organizations, and have throughout my undergraduate studies.  Dietitians of Canada is the main one, and they are responsible for accrediting dietetics programs and running the Dietitians of Canada internships, so being a member is pretty much required, at least in fourth year of undergrad.  I belong to several networks within Dietitians of Canada, reflecting my areas of interest.  These include the Public Health and Community Nutrition network, and the Sports Nutrition Network.

I'm also a member of the Canadian Nutrition Society and the Canadian Obesity Network.  Both of these organizations had local campus chapters, so it was easy to be a member.  Additionally, my fourth year honours thesis involved obesity research, so being a member of the CON was useful. 

All of these organizations have student memberships, which is very nice.  They also all host conferences.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attend any of the conferences yet.  Hopefully as a grad student I'll make it to several!

When did you join the societies?  I would like to join two the ACA ( American Counseling Association) and then one for counselors in my state.  Should I join now in the summer before I begin graduate school or wait until I'm taking classes.  I've already been accepted to a school and I have registered for the fall. 

I guess it depends what you're looking to get out of your membership and what is available to members that you might find useful. If there are weekly trade magazines or a conference you want to attend coming up soon, maybe just sort out membership now?

Either way, 1 or 2 months won't make much of a difference to anything.

Almost all societies have student rates. Some student rates require one or two "full members" to vouch for you and/or a professor at your school to certify your student status. It makes the most sense to join after you already started since it's a lot easier to get these signatures when you have arrived.

In addition, some societies have special deals for new members (e.g. CASCA gave me the first year free, AAS gives you 2 years for the price of one). While some societies extend this "new member deal" to any new member, others limit this deal to your first year only. So, if there is a "first year only" deal, it's a good idea to join within the first year. If not, you probably do not really need to be in the society until the first year you want to present at that society's conference/meeting. I find that a lot of the other nice society membership perks isn't super critical so if you are in a PhD program, if you are a member for years 1-5 or years 2-5, it won't make a huge difference and might save you $70-$100 on dues.

I only belong to the major national association for my discipline. I've previously been a member of regional associations and might be again this year, but I only join when I'll be going to their conference too. I'm just not that concerned with professional memberships and don't list them on my CV.

• 3 weeks later...