Downsizing and decluttering for tiny grad apartment

Coconut Water

Even though I moved 300+ miles to LA in one car a few years ago, I still have more items than will fit comfortably inside my small studio dwelling this Fall. I have read up on clutter busting, but need extra help because my place will be sub-human size (and because I admit I have issues with "stuff"). 

My dilemma is compounded by the fact that I am experiencing a minor identity crisis. I am at somewhat of a crossroads to possibly go back into creative work after I complete my Master's in a year. Back in my days of creativity years ago, I used to draw from personal experiences and was always holding onto items that I thought would be useful for this purpose. So then, items were both sentimental *and* functional. And now, I can't decide if I should let the creative inspiration and artifacts go in order to free myself to achieve new creativity. Or, if I just need the opportunity to come to terms and then the solution will present itself naturally.

A sampling of "stuff" (items) I am confronting:

MEMORIES

* Various shapes and forms. I could try to scan and digitize some, but there's something about the actual e.g. photo or document in hand that reminds me of what it once was.

BIG DRIVES

* Two very large digital storage drives. Ironically, these take up a lot of physical space. They are each as big as at least two large hardcover books put together. I used to work with video (creatively), hence the hugeness. And this is nothing compared to what professional video editors tend to have. Video takes up gobs of space, and then you have to back it up. I used to have a more compact Passport and it stopped working, and I am skeptical about changing up to a small Passport type drive again. 

MEDICAL RECORDS

* It seems anything paper-based is a b*tch to manage. Chances are I won't be joining the military so may not need them anymore. But seems I still should still digitize somehow, and to get rid of the paper, I may have to scan everything which is time consuming not to mention cumbersome. 

BOOKS

* I already donated some books that were just stagnating, but others seem to represent areas of me that need work right now. Hence, I hold onto them as if to resolve the topic instead of throw away the intention. I also have a collectible novel that's thicker than I have room for, but heavy in meaning to me.

Am considering seeing if I can ask a relative in the area if she might have extra storage space but

A. I rarely see her and feel awkward asking for such a favor

B. Just a little insecure about what might happen to my precious artifacts, should they get damaged, then I would have been better off not storing them at all (they could get water damaged, for example)

Am probably going to end up snail mailing a few things (at least) to another more close relative, where I know my items will be safe. But I can only afford so much in postage.

Ideas? Solutions? Tough love?

Edited by Coconut Water

I am in the exact same place right now and I really feel for you! I just got home from two years overseas, and opening up all of the boxes I left at my parents' house has been a real trip down memory lane. I promised my mom that I'd clear it all out before grad school (i.e. it's coming with me or it's getting thrown away or sold), but it's so hard!

I'm afraid to throw away any official documents (banking, bills, medical, application-related), and my file folders are bursting. I have two whole boxes filled with nothing but sentimental stuff (plaques, awards, figurines and other tchotchkes, handmade gifts) that have no sale value but that I can't seem to part with. I have 25 boxes of books (from my pre-kindle days) and I want to cut that down to 4 or 5 max. I just managed to throw out all of my old magazines and calendars, and I have a box of clothes, especially old costumes, that are going to the secondhand store. Still, it's definitely an uphill battle. 

If anybody has advice on what they got rid of and didn't miss, I'd love to hear it. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed  :wacko:

Well it sounds like the stuff you mention can easily fit into a filing cabinet so I think if you organize it properly then it should fit fine in an apt. You can make sure your books can fit onto a bookself and if there are still extras floating around in boxes then you could donate these. You could also come up with a solution for the books that fits under your bed or something of the sort instead of taking up room.

If you are worried about space then I dont htink that getting rid of papers would solve the problem. I guess depending on how many you actually ahve though, I could be wrong. When I think of making space, I think or getting rid of some of the larger things that take up space... Tshirts that I never wear, extra toiletries that I hold onto just in case I suddenly want to paint my nails that color again, stuffed animals that I told onto for memories but never actually look at, etc.

I'm afraid to throw away any official documents (banking, bills, medical, application-related), and my file folders are bursting. I have two whole boxes filled with nothing but sentimental stuff (plaques, awards, figurines and other tchotchkes, handmade gifts) that have no sale value but that I can't seem to part with. I have 25 boxes of books (from my pre-kindle days) and I want to cut that down to 4 or 5 max. I just managed to throw out all of my old magazines and calendars, and I have a box of clothes, especially old costumes, that are going to the secondhand store. Still, it's definitely an uphill battle. 

After reading your post, I am inspired to part with a paperback book series I have from when I was a child. Progress! But I will take a digital photo of them for my own keeping. I would find a new home for them through relatives that have kids and comfort myself with knowing that the meaning in them "lives on" better this way instead of gathering dust. By giving them to family, I think I can feel like I am valuing the reasons I kept them, without the burden. Alternatively, I may group up all of the more sentimental items mentally, then meditate  and ask myself what is the best way to allow the meaning of these items to "live on." Then, I will act accordingly. Would it really want me to spend my energy in agony over it? How can I make the most out of what this item was ever supposed to do for me? I know it sounds cheesy, and maybe a bit hokey, but hey, if it works… I also am considering having some kind of an internal memorial service for the items. Then, I can honor the spirit of the object, but let go of the physical aspect? I know, it's way out there, but seriously, whatever it takes. 

I have some old industry work stuff that I have been considering turning into an art project. So that I am somehow capturing the meaning in them and processing the meaning, but then would take a photo of them to keep, and then the end project could get donated or whatever.

I actually got rid of a lot of banking type documents by scanning them. It takes time though, but if you can get a hold of one of those automatic feeding scanners, I would say it's probably worth it. Just back up your files though…not on the internet. You could use CD's to back them up, in addition to thumb drives. For me, banking stuff comes into play when dealing with the possibility of getting audited by the IRS or managing past debt.

If you are worried about space then I dont htink that getting rid of papers would solve the problem. I guess depending on how many you actually ahve though, I could be wrong. When I think of making space, I think or getting rid of some of the larger things that take up space... Tshirts that I never wear, extra toiletries that I hold onto just in case I suddenly want to paint my nails that color again, stuffed animals that I told onto for memories but never actually look at, etc.

Paper actually takes up a ton of space. When you're dealing with multiple file folders that are bursting, it can really add up in a tiny apartment. 

I am in the exact same place right now and I really feel for you! I just got home from two years overseas, and opening up all of the boxes I left at my parents' house has been a real trip down memory lane. I promised my mom that I'd clear it all out before grad school (i.e. it's coming with me or it's getting thrown away or sold), but it's so hard!

If anybody has advice on what they got rid of and didn't miss, I'd love to hear it. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed  :wacko:

I'm not sure what the specific official documents are that you have, but you typically only need to hang onto your tax forms (based on the list you provided). You don't need to save receipts or bills unless you need to provide verification for your address. I recently trashed a massive pile of documents -- much like the ones you're describing -- for this very reason. I'm down to insurance cards, identification (license, passport, SS card), and my forms from filing taxes for the last five years.

Here are the kind of documents I'm talking about, besides what you've mentioned: I have a huge binder containing everything from my time abroad (2 years) related to banking, bills/payments, visa documents, official letters from my exchange program and university, as well as all of my undergraduate essays and syllabi and exams from every course that I took in my major/field (I keep them for the instructor comments). I also have my dental, optical, and immunization records, as well as copies of bills and reimbursements from my health insurance (I don't want to throw those away, because I've had problems with incorrect billing in the past and you never know when you'll have to prove a discrepancy). I also have all of the application materials from programs I've applied to/begun applying to in the past but not attended (other grad schools, exchange programs, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.) in case I ever apply again so that I know what i submitted, as well as all official documents received so far from my future grad program. I have my information about FAFSA and CSS profile, and all official letters and docs from my undergraduate institution, First Aid certification cards, and passport applications. Is this really stuff that I should get rid of? It seems pretty important to me … 

Here are the kind of documents I'm talking about, besides what you've mentioned: I have a huge binder containing everything from my time abroad (2 years) related to banking, bills/payments, visa documents, official letters from my exchange program and university, as well as all of my undergraduate essays and syllabi and exams from every course that I took in my major/field (I keep them for the instructor comments). I also have my dental, optical, and immunization records, as well as copies of bills and reimbursements from my health insurance (I don't want to throw those away, because I've had problems with incorrect billing in the past and you never know when you'll have to prove a discrepancy). I also have all of the application materials from programs I've applied to/begun applying to in the past but not attended (other grad schools, exchange programs, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.) in case I ever apply again so that I know what i submitted, as well as all official documents received so far from my future grad program. I have my information about FAFSA and CSS profile, and all official letters and docs from my undergraduate institution, First Aid certification cards, and passport applications. Is this really stuff that I should get rid of? It seems pretty important to me … 

See if you can get an electronic copy of anything like bank statements and credit cards from the institutions, then archive those digital versions. 

Then scan anything you don't truly need in original hard copy. Maybe you should research how essential the hard copy really is in different scenarios, in case you ever need to dispute anything.

Then, back up digitally in multiple places and in more than one form (for example back up on CD's *and* thumb drives in case one method fails down the road). I would even suggest leaving a digital back up with your parents for the most important ones.

I wish I had someone I knew nearby who could look at my stuff and help me to detach. Sometimes, it takes an outsider to give perspective. :)

Edited by Coconut Water

I find myself in a similar situation! I am constantly donating items and immediately finding more that I can part with. 

For now, I will be living close to relatives who will help me with storage, but they want to move soon and I want to move abroad after grad school. I'm really hoping to learn how to downsize over the course of my MA program.

Were there any articles that you found to be particularly helpful?

See if you can get an electronic copy of anything like bank statements and credit cards from the institutions, then archive those digital versions. 

Then scan anything you don't truly need in original hard copy. Maybe you should research how essential the hard copy really is in different scenarios, in case you ever need to dispute anything.

Then, back up digitally in multiple places and in more than one form (for example back up on CD's *and* thumb drives in case one method fails down the road). I would even suggest leaving a digital back up with your parents for the most important ones.

I wish I had someone I knew nearby who could look at my stuff and help me to detach. Sometimes, it takes an outsider to give perspective. :)

Unfortunately I currently don't have access to a scanner, nor do I have a drive or set of CDs big enough to store all of the scans if I could scan them, although this sounds like a good idea in principle (how long did it take you to make all of the scans?). I was actually thinking of asking my dad to come over and look at all of my stuff and let me know what he thinks I should keep (at least the papers, if not the books and clothes), because I could really use some of that outsider perspective right now.

Unfortunately I currently don't have access to a scanner, nor do I have a drive or set of CDs big enough to store all of the scans if I could scan them, although this sounds like a good idea in principle (how long did it take you to make all of the scans?). I was actually thinking of asking my dad to come over and look at all of my stuff and let me know what he thinks I should keep (at least the papers, if not the books and clothes), because I could really use some of that outsider perspective right now.

Having your dad help you with the papers sounds like an excellent step! Definitely worthwhile!

If that were my dad, I would try to make it celebratory, like make him lemonade or something. :) Maybe you can invite friends help you with the books and clothes part? You might even be able to give away a few things, and maybe they can help give you support in parting with figurines and such, like telling you that needy child could give it a new loving home. :) 

Unfortunately I did not tally the hours I spent scanning. Lots. And in bits and pieces! But I had downtime. I don't regret it!  I would have hired someone had I had the funds allocated. But of course I would have had to trust them with sensitive info. My scanner then was painfully slow. I have a new scanner which is a bit faster, not ideal, but more ideal than lugging around papers.

Because we're talking tax files, I think the IRS asks that tax filers keep the past 7 years of tax forms. For those who are old enough for this to apply to, I would assume they can trash anything going back 8 years and beyond.

At this point I am considering seeking out/posting a Meetup or some other kind of support group, because I think externalizing the thoughts can help me. Being able to vocalize my rationalizations will probably help me get unstuck. As well as the constant motivation. :)

I find myself in a similar situation! I am constantly donating items and immediately finding more that I can part with. 

For now, I will be living close to relatives who will help me with storage, but they want to move soon and I want to move abroad after grad school. I'm really hoping to learn how to downsize over the course of my MA program.

Were there any articles that you found to be particularly helpful?

I actually have read about the topic over the course of years, and don't recall all the sources. A lot of stuff out there, though, seems to adhere to the basic idea of categorizing things. Into either boxes or piles of KEEP, TRASH, DONATE, etc. or into prioritizing items into I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THIS/WOULD REPLACE RIGHT AWAY IF LOST, I COULD LIVE WITHOUT THIS, ETC.

A book called Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston I do know has been helpful. Feng Shui or not, I learned how important it is to keep one's environment sacred (sane). By minimizing clutter.

Here's a bit about that book:

http://www.boomers-active-and-alive.com/de-cluttering.html

“Letting go of clutter leaves you free to be you, which is the greatest gift you can ever give yourself.”

“People hold onto their clutter because they are afraid to let it go--afraid of the emotions they may experience...afraid they will make a mistake and later regret getting rid of something…Clutter clearing can bring up a lot of “stuff” to be faced and dealt with and intuitively everybody knows it.”

I've also heard of you making a rule that if you bring something into your home, you have to get rid of something in exchange.

Edited by Coconut Water

Okay, so if you switch to online banking and credit cards, you should be able to get your last 24 months of statements online, which means you can get rid of all the paper ones. Also, you don't really need ones that old anyway. Anything older than a year is more than you need for banking. For taxes, you need 7 years. Store those with your parents if you can, or put them in a safe deposit box in your hometown or something. I store mine at my mom's house so that I don't have to worry about them getting lost during a move. You'll also want to write down all of your previous addresses for at least the past 10 years and save that somewhere. You will need it for a job application or background check at some point (or, if you're more modern, you can just go through the old addresses in your Amazon account!). 

You definitely don't need old passport applications, officials docs from undergrad (including FAFSA and CSS), official letters from your undergrad, etc. If it's not a current certification card, don't keep it. For your medical records, you should have those at a doctor's office. Scan them in the interim. Same with the old undergrad papers (but really, how useful are comments on your first year of college papers at this stage in your life?). When in doubt, purge!

I am going through the same process and have some helpful things to add. 

Most copiers can scan as pdf files and email the files out.  I use this for a lot of old school works or book articles.  I keep everything on Google Drive.  You can pay for extra storage, but you get a lot of free storage.  I use a scanner at work, but most if not all libraries have the same capabilities. 

Bathroom stuff:  I find that I keep things for a lot longer than necessary and may be unsafe.  I read recently that perfume goes bad after three years, makeup about 6 months, and other liquid stuff about a year.  I used to work at Walgreens.  The expiration dates are commonly listed in code form like shampoo and body wash.  We would have to go through stuff often to throw out expired items.  So, even if you haven't owned it for that long, it may have been on the shelf for longer than you think. I don't wear a lot of makeup, so I know that most of my stuff needs to be thrown out.  In my move, I going to try to start from scratch and throw everything out.  I have also started to date stuff when I buy it.  You would be surprised how long a tube of face wash can last.   

DVDs/CDs:  I threw out my plastic CD cases years ago and got rid of a lot of CDs this year.  The time I would spend digitizing my music seems like a headache, so I just got one CD case and told myself everything had to fit in this one.  I have now also thrown out my last few DVD cases.  Most of my DVDs I got rid of because I never watched them, but the ones I kept I got rid of the cases.  They take up a lot of space.  I also got rid of all the video game cases.

Board games and puzzles:  Some games and puzzles I just can't get rid of.  However, I have saved some space by getting rid of the boxes and downsizing to gallon bags.  I just ripe off the cover to keep.  It works for the puzzles and for some games.  Also, combining games into one box works well. 

Books:  I have lots and lots of books.  Many I have "planned" to read.  So, if I haven't read them by the time I leave, they are out the door.  But I am keeping the titles saved in my Amazon Wish List or in Goodreads, so I have the option to pick them up later.  Since getting a kindle, I have been able to part with my books a lot easier.  A lot of books you can now get on ebook from the library for free!

Camping or outdoor items:  No hope!  I find these things, mostly if not entirely, necessary.  I have a garage where I store camping supplies and two kayaks.  I will be relocating to a tiny basement apartment, so I have no idea what I will do with this stuff. 

Any other suggestions?

DVDs/CDs:  I threw out my plastic CD cases years ago and got rid of a lot of CDs this year.  The time I would spend digitizing my music seems like a headache, so I just got one CD case and told myself everything had to fit in this one.  I have now also thrown out my last few DVD cases.  Most of my DVDs I got rid of because I never watched them, but the ones I kept I got rid of the cases.  They take up a lot of space.  I also got rid of all the video game cases.

Tonight I realized I could save album titles to Spotify, where I can easily just play each album on my smartphone. If I get nostalgic all I have to do is pull up the album that is saved as a playlist. I am new to Spotify, but the music is so much more accessible now. And I don't have to worry about the lack of storage space on my smartphone (even though I am still saving all of the digitized music to a big hard drive anyway!).

I like your idea of keeping just the CD's in a single place. Before reading your post, I had stripped a few music CD cases of their cover art work as a compromise with myself to get rid of the plastic, hold onto the art, and digitize the music. But I wonder if maybe I could do a CD binder instead that holds the art and disc.