48 more days. *Gulp*

NavyMom

I feel like a little kid counting down to the day I start.  But honestly, I am terrified.

I know I am as prepared as I am going to be.  But I am afraid of how little I will know in comparison to my classmates.  

Life as I know it will be changed for the next 3 years. 

I know how you fill.  I retired in 2012 from military and have not been in grad school since 1997.  Gulps!  I am excited and just trying to get situated with a small Study area at home.  LOL.  My youngest will be a senior in H.S. this year and I keep telling him we can study together.  He just looks at me in horror. I registered last week and have Orientation on July 25th.  Getting the start of school butterflies.  I'm looking forward to it.

You'll do great! Try to relax these last few days, take some time for yourself and breathe for a bit. 

It's going to be a change for me, too, I'm moving to Portland. I live in Alaska, so the move will be huge and take a bunch of time to complete. 

I'm nervous, but I think once I get down there and actually start school, see how the classes are and what's expected of me, I'll be better. 

You'll do great! Try to relax these last few days, take some time for yourself and breathe for a bit. 

It's going to be a change for me, too, I'm moving to Portland. I live in Alaska, so the move will be huge and take a bunch of time to complete. 

I'm nervous, but I think once I get down there and actually start school, see how the classes are and what's expected of me, I'll be better. 

Oh hey, totally unrelated to our collective nervousness as we enter this new part of our lives but I'm doing an opposite move! Northern California to Alaska! 

Oh hey, totally unrelated to our collective nervousness as we enter this new part of our lives but I'm doing an opposite move! Northern California to Alaska! 

Yeah? How exciting!! Have you ever been to Alaska before?

Nope! This will be a totally new experience!

Wow, that is a change, then. Be prepared, it's very different up here in Alaska, then in the Lower 48. Where are you moving to? Anchorage, Fairbanks, Eagle River?

Wow, that is a change, then. Be prepared, it's very different up here in Alaska, then in the Lower 48. Where are you moving to? Anchorage, Fairbanks, Eagle River?

Yes, it should be quite the change. We're moving Anchorage. 

Any tips for life in Alaska?

Yes, it should be quite the change. We're moving Anchorage. 

Any tips for life in Alaska?

Anchorage is a lovely city, you'll really like it. There's plenty of stuff to do - movies, theater, hiking, skiing, bars, clubs, activities for families, couples, and singles - something every night actually.

Be prepared for the winter - it does get cold. Bring layers and such. And it does get dark earlier, you go to work/school in the dark and you come back in the dark so it can take some getting used to. But our winters are gorgeous, especially if you like the outdoors. Even if you don't like the outdoors, our winters are great! (Think: hot chocolate by the fire and theater at the PAC.)

Our summers are hit and miss alternatively, this summer has been a bit cloudy/rainy with only a few warm days. (Also - Your idea of 'warm' will be greatly altered, here 'warm' is 40s-50s, 60s is tee-shirt and shorts weather, and 80s is just downright TOO HOT.) Anyway, since this summer is kind-of a 'miss', next summer should be lovely - cloudless sky, warm weather, perfect for hiking and bike riding.

There are bears and moose. Just be aware of them when camping/hiking/running/biking. They do come into town, but are accustomed to humans so if you don't bother them, they generally won't bother you. Moose become a problem when they try to 'dart' across the highway and roadways, especially at night so be alert for them. 

Our schools are great, and the people here are very friendly and very laid back. It can get expensive, living in Anchorage, so be sure you have a job lined up before heading up here.

Anything else you wanted to know?

Anchorage is a lovely city, you'll really like it. There's plenty of stuff to do - movies, theater, hiking, skiing, bars, clubs, activities for families, couples, and singles - something every night actually.

Be prepared for the winter - it does get cold. Bring layers and such. And it does get dark earlier, you go to work/school in the dark and you come back in the dark so it can take some getting used to. But our winters are gorgeous, especially if you like the outdoors. Even if you don't like the outdoors, our winters are great! (Think: hot chocolate by the fire and theater at the PAC.)

Our summers are hit and miss alternatively, this summer has been a bit cloudy/rainy with only a few warm days. (Also - Your idea of 'warm' will be greatly altered, here 'warm' is 40s-50s, 60s is tee-shirt and shorts weather, and 80s is just downright TOO HOT.) Anyway, since this summer is kind-of a 'miss', next summer should be lovely - cloudless sky, warm weather, perfect for hiking and bike riding.

There are bears and moose. Just be aware of them when camping/hiking/running/biking. They do come into town, but are accustomed to humans so if you don't bother them, they generally won't bother you. Moose become a problem when they try to 'dart' across the highway and roadways, especially at night so be alert for them. 

Our schools are great, and the people here are very friendly and very laid back. It can get expensive, living in Anchorage, so be sure you have a job lined up before heading up here.

Anything else you wanted to know?

First of all- you're amazing. Thank you for writing this up! 

I think I'll deal with the mild summers alright. Where I live it regularly gets into the 100s during the summer. It can be quite the downer. 60s is chilly to me, but I'm sure I will adjust alright! Seems better than melting in the summer heat here. I will definitely work on getting more winter clothes. I'm a sweater fiend, but as for real boots and so forth I'm still lacking. I've got some cold weather experience, but not quite Alaska-level. 

Are there any parts of the city you'd recommend living wise? Any areas I should avoid? 

Ya'll are making me jealous!!! I want to move up to Juneau.  My hubby and I went there for our Honeymoon and fell in love!  I live in NorCal myself... and although I love it here, it's way too hot for me.

Being nervous is part of the deal I guess.  I am trying to relax, but I can't as I have my first assignment in hand (due a week before school even starts) and I have 5 books to read in the next 30 days. :/

Ya'll are making me jealous!!! I want to move up to Juneau.  My hubby and I went there for our Honeymoon and fell in love!  I live in NorCal myself... and although I love it here, it's way too hot for me.

Being nervous is part of the deal I guess.  I am trying to relax, but I can't as I have my first assignment in hand (due a week before school even starts) and I have 5 books to read in the next 30 days. :/

Do you have to do your assignment in APA writing style?  I've been watching YouTube videos and googling info on how to do this format.

Yes. I have to write all of my papers in APA due to the social science aspect.... I have been using it now for a while though.  I had to write a thesis for my bachelor's degree and it was in APA format.

First of all- you're amazing. Thank you for writing this up! 

I think I'll deal with the mild summers alright. Where I live it regularly gets into the 100s during the summer. It can be quite the downer. 60s is chilly to me, but I'm sure I will adjust alright! Seems better than melting in the summer heat here. I will definitely work on getting more winter clothes. I'm a sweater fiend, but as for real boots and so forth I'm still lacking. I've got some cold weather experience, but not quite Alaska-level. 

Are there any parts of the city you'd recommend living wise? Any areas I should avoid? 

You're quite welcome! Moving to a new place is scary, so I wanted to help as much information as possible. :) 

Sweaters are wonderful here. I'm a scarf girl - every color, every size and shape, I have it. Plus, it helps because I have short hair and my neck gets cold when I'm walking around in the winter. 

Hmm, most of the city is lovely - anywhere around Elmore Street is beautiful; South Anchorage is pretty, but if you want to go anywhere it's a little far away; I have a ton of friends who live on Muldoon and say it's a nice place to be, but it all depends on where you're going to work because ideally you'd want to be close to that. Downtown gets very busy, very fast during the work day so be prepared for a little bit if traffic. Try to stay away from the Mountain View area, they've built it up over the past few years, but it's the sketchiest place in town. And also try to stay away from 5th Ave, it's perfectly fine during the day and is a hub for a lot of businesses, but at night it gets a little shifty.