What are the pros and cons of ...?

You mean accepting a program but declining a teaching assistantship? Unless you're doing so because you have a fellowship, that sounds like a very bad idea to me. Even if you're independently wealthy enough to pay tuition. Being a TA is often an essential part of being part of a PhD program and is very important for professionalization, especially in a context where more and more PhDs are taking jobs at teaching colleges, community colleges, and high school or alternative education.

Thanks; though that's a great point, I am aware of the need to gain teaching experience at the college level. Actually, though I have a fellowship, there are so many costs associated with my move that I have decided to accept the offer. It is only that I wondered how other people handle the stresses of being in a new place, starting a new program, etc. plus teaching. For me, declining the assistantship for one term could have been one possible way of handling it.

I'm starting a phd program this fall myself, so I don't have firsthand experience... however, friends have told me that if you can afford it financially, it is a very good idea not to TA your first semester. Just too much going on with moves and the stresses of a new program. Obviously plenty of people TA from the get-go and survive, so I think it depends on your situation. But I doubt it will be held against you that you didn't TA one semester, especially if the program itself offers this as an alternative.