What would you do? Job vs. Grad school

artteacher

I'm currently in an odd situation and I'd like some perspective on it from other grad students... To set the scene as briefly as possible: 3 years ago I worked for a short time at my favorite museum. My undergraduate degree is in art education, but I wasn't sure I wanted to be in a classroom yet. I was lucky enough to get into the museum's small education department. Due to pressure to find a "real", salaried job, and benefits, I took a full time teaching gig for 2.5 years at a public school. It was not a good fit for me, so I started investigating grad schools, found a superb program for museum studies and, fast forward, I'm set up to attend this fall. Well, starting mid-August. I was also lucky enough to be asked to come back to the museum this summer to fill in for their director of k-12 ed, who is on maternity leave. I am having the time of my life, this is basically my dream job and the entire reason I am going back to grad school is to get a job like this one. I love being there and never knew work could be so exciting and fun. My quandary is this: the woman has confided in another co-worker that she is now on the fence about returning to work after her maternity leave is over. I know her husband does not want her working, and though she had always planned to return at the end of July/beginning of August, she is now wavering (privately) in this decision. Obviously I would jump at the chance to be considered for this job, and I have decided that if I were asked to continue working there, I would not go to grad school. But - it's crunch time. I leave in about a month to move 7 hours away and am taking out loans to make this grad school thing happen. This woman tends to wait until the last minute to make decisions. What would you do in this situation? Would you contact the boss and say "IF she doesn't come back, I'd like to be considered for the job/I'm willing to not go to grad school if I get the job?" Or should I leave it be and let things play out? I'm anxious because of the time frame and what is at stake. Am I getting my hopes up for nothing? Help me out here..

What would happen if you got laid off from the job and tried to apply to others: are you confident you could have long term security that the graduate degree might provide ?

If I were in your shoes, I'd contact my boss and be totally honest but not overly specific: I'd say hey, I'm about to start grad school in the Fall but I absolutely love this job. I'd prefer to keep working here. Do you see any scenarios where that's possible? 

Also, even if the job doesn't work out forever and you want to go to grad school in the future, you can always re-apply... Your work experience might even improve your application so that if the opportunity is there, you could get funding and not have to take out loans.

(If I were to continue on the job, I'll email my POI at the grad program and the grad director to tell them about it, and say something like "I couldn't let go of this unexpected opportunity, but I hope to re-apply in the future, yadda yadda yadda")

It seems to me from what you've described that the woman hasn't officially made any statement about not coming back - you appear to have heard a rumor through the grapevine that she might be on the fence, but haven't talked to her personally about it. I wouldn't trust secondhand information. Talk to your boss about being considered for the job should it actually end up that this woman isn't coming back, but I wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket. I'd focus on the sure bet - grad school - and let the chips fall as they may. It doesn't seem that there's anything you can do to expedite this process, but if this woman does bow out and your boss really wants to have you, they'll let you know in time.

Anything could happen at this point. Many women feel sad about returning to work after maternity leave and some return anyway while others don't. How would you feel if she decides to come back and you missed out on the opportunity to attend grad school?

Since the woman hasn't officially told her boss that she does not plan to return, I think you have no choice but to wait until she officially informs her boss of such plans. In the meantime, continue to do a great job, make a good impression, meet new people in the field and make professional contacts, and let your boss know how much you love your job. At the end of your contract, let your boss know that you enjoyed the job so much that you wish you could continue working instead of returning to school. Thank your boss for being given this wonderful opportunity and ask if he could keep you in mind if any new opportunities come up in the future. If you plan to move, you can also give your boss an updated  resume with your new contact info to keep on file.

Good luck to you!

I don't think I'd take the job. The degree will make you more qualified if the job doesn't turn into a permanent position and the odds of that sounds strongly against you.in theory you could go to grad school later but you could also take a museum job later as well. I'd politely decline and try to maintain a good relationship with all parties involved.

I think this is a tough choice! Keep in mind that the decision of going back to work or not is very hard and personal so it makes sense that someone might want to wait until the "last minute" to decide. Also, if the employer is kind and understanding, they might extend leave for their employee and allow them more time. So, even though it sounds like this woman's leave ends at the end of July (i.e. before you move), this date might change. I know people who have been in similar situation (i.e. Person A takes a temp position to replace Person B on mat. leave, but B is on the fence about returning and A was interested in staying if B won't come back, but due to indecision, A remained in limbo for awhile).

I am assuming that your current employer knows that you will be leaving next month to go to grad school. Here's what I would do:

1. Continue making plans to leave for grad school but keep them flexible where possible. i.e. take out loans that don't have an early repayment fee if possible etc. 

2. At the end of July (or whenever the person is supposed to come back), if they do come back, then it's not really an issue anymore--you only have one choice! If they don't come back, you can perhaps ask your boss if they plan on hiring a replacement. If they say yes, and you are still interested in the position at this point, that might be a good time to let them know? It's possible they might have to do a complete job search in order to officially hire a permanent position. 

3. Meanwhile, keep an eye on job postings to see if your museum posts this position, if they do this before #2 above happens, then talk to the boss at this point instead of waiting until the end of July.

4. Make your decision at some point between #2 or #3 happening and your move to grad school! If you don't get any official sign (formal or informal) that the position will be open, then I would not delay grad school to wait around for an opportunity that might not exist. But if the position does open up, then you can make the best decision for you! Hopefully you kept your moving plans as flexible as possible in step 1 so that this can happen! 

Whether or not you take the job or school is a really personal decision and I don't think we can tell you what's best for you. I can add a few things to consider though that might help, in addition to what's said above:

1. How long is your grad program? Since it's unfunded (you say you are taking out loans) and it sounds like it might be a "professional masters" program, this might only be a 1-2 year program that can give you long term job benefits? So like the others said above, perhaps getting more qualifications now can help you get your dream job later anyways.

2. How necessary is this degree for your future dream job(s)? Were you only able to get your current temp. position without this degree because it was a temp. position? 

3. Note that you can still move on to grad school and take the job later. That is, if the person on mat. leave decides (e.g. in September) that they don't want to return and the museum posts the job officially at that time, you can apply to the job while you're in grad school. If you get a job offer in say, October, you can quit grad school and take the job at that time if you feel that's the best decision for you. That is, remember that you can leave grad school at any time, but you probably have to start grad school this fall (or else wait another year!). So, it makes more sense to move on and quit if the opportunity comes up and is good enough instead of delay grad school and wait for an opportunity that might never come. Also, perhaps a few months into your grad program, you can be better equipped to decide between taking the job or finishing your degree, now that you have experienced both!

Edited by TakeruK

2. How necessary is this degree for your future dream job(s)? Were you only able to get your current temp. position without this degree because it was a temp. position? 

This point. You are a temporary filler for someone who has not publically indicated anything other than the desire to return to her job, and delaying grad school based on heresay doesn't seem like a wise move. It is not clear that you would be offered the full time postion if this women declined to return, so you certainly need to ask your boss what is up. I'm guessing you won't have the answer you want before you pay your first tuition check.

Also, most here have assumed that your degree makes you more qualified for such a position, but I think your experience nicely illustrates that knowing the right people at the right time can have a lot more to do with getting the job you want than your credentials (temporary or not).

Edited by Usmivka