Fitness!

skybythelight

Totally agree with RunnerGrad. I am definitely *not* athletic but, I have found things I enjoy that I can pursue. For me, that's a combination of weightlifting and group martial arts courses. The weightlifting I tend to do alone or with a workout buddy, depending on whether I can find someone else interested. The martial arts courses come with a set of accountability (in that people will call/text if you miss class often or to ask if you'll be there) and force me to push myself in a way that I don't always do when lifting weights. Personally, I find weightlifting to be awesome stress relief as simply moving heavy weights around (safely!!!) forces me to concentrate on something other than what I'm stressed out or upset about.

I try to exercise 5-6 days per week, and I've found it works best if I divide exercise time into blocks throughout my day. During the work week, I run 2-3 miles with a few people in my department around noon, which is a great mid-day stress reliever and gets me out of my office and the lab. I go to the gym to do weight training 3 times a week for about an hour. I also play in an adult soccer league, which is a lot of fun and a great cardio workout.

I used to absolutely hate exercising, but I've learned to trick myself into liking it. I treat exercise as primarily a social activity, where I just happen to be working out. 

I think I've managed to "sneak" exercise into my daily schedule, for lack of better phrasing. I live about a mile from campus so instead of driving I'm just going to walk to my labs/classes. I know it's not something which will make me super buff, but it should help keep excess weight off.

Edited by Vene

I'm supposed to be doing 6 hours of exercise (ideally mostly cardio) a week for my cholesterol but it usually works out to 4-5 hours a week of mixed cardio and resistance/weight training. It's worked out for me, over the first three months my cholesterol dropped 80 points, and  I go in for my 9 month re-test next week. I've also dropped to an athletic (for women) body comp percentage, which makes my joints *very* happy. Right now between grad school and a job I work out whenever I feel like it but during the school year I would work out in the evening.

I run a little, I'm not built for speed or distance so I only really go out when I need some "me time" - maybe once a week. I do walk with DH and our dog a couple of times a week. I was running more earlier in the summer but DC allergies+ humidty= miserable runs.

Home practice of pilates and yoga. Pilates for core strength, yoga for flexibility. Looked into PiYo but Beachbody programs are notoriously awful for people with chronic knee problems (like me) and I don't want to compromise good form for speed. Pilates 2-3 times a week, yoga 1-2 times.

Dancing. DH and I met swing dancing but stopped after our wedding because of my knees. We're slowly working it back into our routine. I don't think we'll ever be at a place to compete (mismatched height, different ideas on styling, etc), but its a fun social event and good cardio.

Dressage. I designed my workouts to improve my riding - core for a deeper seat, cardio so I make it through a tough lesson, flexibility for open hips and a longer leg, etc. Dressage can be a good workout in its own right but I can feel the improvement over the last few months and my trainer has commented on it.

Since I've had a lot of spare time recently and an awesome gym at my new apartment, I try to go every day for an hour-hour and a half. I actually enjoy going, provided I'm doing things I enjoy while I'm there. I have bad allergies (to what, I don't know, can't afford to get tested) and asthma, so I hate anything that makes me feel like I'm suffocating. For the most part, that's just running. I also refuse to run because I get really bad shin splints almost instantly. So, as long as I stay away from the tredmill, I'm usually pretty happy. My issue is that I get bored easily. I enjoy biking, but it bores me to death and I don't want to spend more than 10 minutes on the thing. But I know I need some cardio in my life.

I try to do 10 sets of 5 per machine that I use. Bench press included. I'm up to benching 40 lbs after three weeks. I will probably up it to 50 next week.

My other issue is that I'm not seeing any results. I've been in the gym pretty religiously and trying to watch what I eat (I failed miserably at that yesterday, though) but I haven't seen any changes with my body. It's kind of disheartening. I really want to lose some serious weight.

Edited by Lifesaver

My other issue is that I'm not seeing any results. I've been in the gym pretty religiously and trying to watch what I eat (I failed miserably at that yesterday, though) but I haven't seen any changes with my body. It's kind of disheartening. I really want to lose some serious weight.

That's not going to happen right away, especially if you're just now putting on some significant muscle due to how much heavier muscle is than fat. The fact that you're increasing how much you can bench does show that your body is changing. Also keep in mind that as you build up muscle that your new muscles will need more calories, so they will slowly start to use up your stored fat, which is a process that takes time.

Since I've had a lot of spare time recently and an awesome gym at my new apartment, I try to go every day for an hour-hour and a half. I actually enjoy going, provided I'm doing things I enjoy while I'm there. I have bad allergies (to what, I don't know, can't afford to get tested) and asthma, so I hate anything that makes me feel like I'm suffocating. For the most part, that's just running. I also refuse to run because I get really bad shin splints almost instantly. So, as long as I stay away from the tredmill, I'm usually pretty happy. My issue is that I get bored easily. I enjoy biking, but it bores me to death and I don't want to spend more than 10 minutes on the thing. But I know I need some cardio in my life.

I try to do 10 sets of 5 per machine that I use. Bench press included. I'm up to benching 40 lbs after three weeks. I will probably up it to 50 next week.

so many freaking excuses. damn!

I'm no lift expert, but I say change that 10 sets of 5 to 3 sets of 12  (I'm assuming you mean PER exercise). 12 reps is a lot, but it will lean you up. 6-8 reps with more weight is on the low side, and better for building strength. but 10 sets of 5 tells me you're not challenging yourself enough with the weights; you should be burnt out after 3 sets of 12, after which would be a 10-15 minute recovery that can be used to do a different exercise that activate a different muscle group. make sure you have good form, of course, but don't be afraid to put your body to the limit.. buddy system works well in this case.

and this is what I did personally when I used to have gym access. I would do one set, and immediately jump to a different lift while I recover from the previous one. I would cycle through a group of workouts 3 times, so I'm spending less time sitting around like a vegetable. but I'm no lift expert.

Edited by spectastic

WAT? you best be trollin

Yep. I have excuses as to why I don't run. Turning purple and being in too much pain the next day which prohibits my returning to the gym... not good nor productive. I can occupy myself with other things. Not a big deal.

There is also no way I can do 3 sets of 12 reps on the bench right now. I do 5 reps, rest for 20ish seconds (at the beginning), do 5 more. When I get towards the 40th rep, even 5 in a row gets tired. And I do space out my rests as it goes on. If I have the luxury of being in the gym when there are few people around, I'll work out a different muscle, but usually it's use it or lose it around here.

I'm trying to figure out how to fit training around grad school commitments. I'm a competitive powerlifter and weightlifter (3x national champion and national record holder) but will probably put competing on hold for at least the first academic year. Boo. My plan right now is to lift weekends, and at 7.30am on my two class-free mornings, and after my last Thursday class, which should work out just fine. I'm in touch with some trainers at the U about starting a strength-training club, so that my training can contribute to finding a social circle :)

In terms of more general wellbeing, I also practice yoga and try rack up another hour of physical movement (walking/cycling usually) each day. My intention is to do yoga at stupid-early-o'clock on mornings when I don't lift, and to break up my working days with short walks. Since I am living a 25 minute walk from my department's building, that will be a help, and being at UChicago I have easy access to the lakeside cycle trail. That said, I'm a bit nervous about the winters, and whether it will be plausible to do any outdoors physical activity. At that point I might look into the free university classes in kickboxing or whatever else, and swim more often.

Yoga and lifting will go into my planner as relatively non-negotiable events, since I consider fitness to be an extremely important factor for my physical and mental wellbeing, trumped only by good nutrition and quality sleep. My experience is that my work quality is severely compromised if I am limited in my physical pursuits. I guess I aim to move my body for at least a couple of hours per day, and since I have never owned a TV, I feel more than justified in claiming that time for myself :)

Just FWIW, I am a chick... fitness preferences are not gender-exclusive.

I've never seen a chick do a pull up, proper deadlift, or clean in my life. they always stick around the floor mats or treadmills, and only really wonder towards the free weights with their guy friends or bff. granted, I don't visit the gym all the time, but the pattern is pretty obvious. 

by clean I mean power clean. I've seen them do cleaning a lot hehehehe

Edited by spectastic

I've never seen a chick do a pull up, proper deadlift, or clean in my life. they always stick around the floor mats or treadmills, and only really wonder towards the free weights with their guy friends or bff. granted, I don't visit the gym all the time, but the pattern is pretty obvious. 

Must be a very recluse life you live then.

What a sexist attitude!

I've never seen chicks (ie. baby chickens) do those things either.  I know plenty of women (including myself) who are perfectly capable of executing proper deadlifts, pull ups (although I still can't do a lot - I'm working on it) and cleans.  You obviously hang out at the wrong gyms.  Plenty of women like being strong, and enjoy power lifting and doing the lifts correctly.  I don't consider myself a power lifter, but I still do plenty of strength training with free weights to complement my running and group fitness activities.

Having a limited outlook on life is no reason to stereotype. Just because you go to a gym where people tend to subscribe to gender stereotypes, doesn't mean you are incapable of realising that this isn't necessarily the norm. Do you think it's helpful to perpetuate stereotypes or something?

Like I said, I am 3x national champion in powerlifting and I am a female. I can squat my boyfriend for reps, and I bench the same as him. I can clean my bodyweight. No need to make assumptions. Lifting is great for your health regardless of gender, and its ability to limit osteoporosis might even be particularly useful to females.

Edited by music

Having a limited outlook on life is no reason to stereotype. Just because you go to a gym where people tend to subscribe to gender stereotypes, doesn't mean you are incapable of realising that this isn't necessarily the norm. Do you think it's helpful to perpetuate stereotypes or something?

Like I said, I am 3x national champion in powerlifting and I am a female. I can squat my boyfriend for reps, and I bench the same as him. I can clean my bodyweight. No need to make assumptions. Lifting is great for your health regardless of gender, and its ability to limit osteoporosis might even be particularly useful to females.

Well said (and those national championships are impressive).  I'm always educating the ladies in my group fitness classes about the importance of strength training, and that they shouldn't be afraid to go heavy.  I use periodization myself for weight training.  When I'm not seriously training for a running or triathlon event, I'll go heavy on the weights.    As my mileage ramps up when I'm training for a half or full marathon, or a triathlon, I'll go lower on the weights, or even just body weight exercises when I'm at my maximum mileage weeks.

I used to run half marathons at least once a month while an undergrad. I ambitiously signed up for my first full marathon in October amidst grad apps, GREs, and coursework. Definitely not happening!

You should watch some YouTube videos of the CrossFit Games then! For example, they had a Clean Ladder. http://games.crossfit.com/video/clean-ladder-women