Anyone else having a weird time at work?

LingGrad2009

I sure am. (This is obviously for those of us leaving the "real world" to go back to school, not the ones going straight from undergrad.) I got my acceptance back in March sometime, and I don't start until September. Six months! I haven't let on to a soul where I work, because I need to save all the money I can and I can't risk getting cut off early. For the first month or so I kept myself busy by carefully documenting everything I do so my eventual replacement will have an easier time of it. But now that's done and I really just feel very surreal every day. It peaked this week when I had a yearly review where I had to write up my goals for next year and talk about them with my boss. I just made up the most minimally believable list I could think of. I almost lost it when he strongly suggested a few continuing education classes to keep myself current. "That's a great idea" I said, "I really enjoy being a student."

People are making softball leagues, talking about getting new clients, planning next year's convention -- and I'm wandering through it all like a ghost nobody can see, smiling bemusedly as these mortals while away the time in these pursuits that no longer touch me or have any meaning. But I can't let on to a soul . . .

I sure am. (This is obviously for those of us leaving the "real world" to go back to school, not the ones going straight from undergrad.) I got my acceptance back in March sometime, and I don't start until September. Six months! I haven't let on to a soul where I work, because I need to save all the money I can and I can't risk getting cut off early. For the first month or so I kept myself busy by carefully documenting everything I do so my eventual replacement will have an easier time of it. But now that's done and I really just feel very surreal every day. It peaked this week when I had a yearly review where I had to write up my goals for next year and talk about them with my boss. I just made up the most minimally believable list I could think of. I almost lost it when he strongly suggested a few continuing education classes to keep myself current. "That's a great idea" I said, "I really enjoy being a student."

People are making softball leagues, talking about getting new clients, planning next year's convention -- and I'm wandering through it all like a ghost nobody can see, smiling bemusedly as these mortals while away the time in these pursuits that no longer touch me or have any meaning. But I can't let on to a soul . . .

I have been having a weird time work as well; but in a different way from you. Everyone at both of my jobs knew I was applying to graduate schools. They eventually became a bit annoying like the auntie who would squeeze your cheeks every time you would come for a visit. I would constantly get "heard anything yet?", "when are you leaving?", "how much are they giving you?", or even "how often can I come visit you?" Strange indeed. It got so bad that, once all of my decisions came in, they convened mini meetings with me to decide for me which school I should attend.

Now that I have chosen though, things are relatively calm on their end. I didn't even need to complete an annual review. And since "traffic" at one of my jobs is dying down, I will spend most of the summer reading and relaxing before the storm.

My job is just waiting tables, so I'm in complete apathy about upcoming changes in the restaurant's focus and operation -- it's like it just doesn't apply to me. I'm reminding myself (daily!) how much longer I have there.... and scheming for a way to leave sooner than necessary! :lol: Everyone knows I applied and got accepted to grad school, and they're all very supportive.

I have been having a weird time work as well; but in a different way from you. Everyone at both of my jobs knew I was applying to graduate schools. They eventually became a bit annoying like the auntie who would squeeze your cheeks every time you would come for a visit. I would constantly get "heard anything yet?", "when are you leaving?", "how much are they giving you?", or even "how often can I come visit you?" Strange indeed. It got so bad that, once all of my decisions came in, they convened mini meetings with me to decide for me which school I should attend.

It's like looking into a mirror. Seriously, I could've penned that myself. It got really tiresome to repeat, "no, they haven't made any decisions yet." Then once I knew I was accepted at all three, everyone had to weigh in with their opinion. Our Assistant Director still asks me weekly which one I selected, because he can't remember. :roll: Our director asks me every other week when I'm leaving. And every time it's, "you have me until July 22."

I'm in somewhat of a mid-management position. They knew when I took the promotion three years ago that I would leave for grad school, but I don't think they believed me until October rolled around and I was submitting apps. I spent much of March detailing every little task I perform and now have this monstrous 20+ page indexed document for my successor. They're actually interviewing people this week for my replacement in the hopes that they'll get them hired June 1 and have six weeks to shadow me before I leave. I want so much to have "gradschoolitis," but can't. I have to present at a seminar June 4th and host a state-wide webinar on June 15th. Administration is focusing heavily on my program (eLearning) right now to decide how much money to invest and how to invest it. I have to stay on my toes and spout off responses from last year's program evaluation at a moment's notice. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I have to keep moving at full force to get there.

Well those stories certainly make me glad I'm keeping this under my hat. I figure I'll let them know far enough in advance that they can hire a replacement, but not so early that it'd be worth the paperwork to lay me off. Unfortunately I work in a competetive field that's saturated with qualified people, so there'd be little motivation for my workplace to keep me on if I told them sooner (or had let them know I was applying in the first place).

And dherres, I have a google widget that counts down the days for me. 1693 hours : 40 minutes : 14 seconds! I wonder if I can imbed that in my sig? That'd be slick.

Edit: No. Did not work : (

I had only told my boss/another mentor who wrote a recommendation/my immediate section that I was applying, which kept away most of the "have you heard anything yet?" questions. Now that I'm actively planning my departure (and my boss is giddily announcing my admission to others), it's become general knowledge.

I don't really want to leave. I work with a great team, and recently a refrain of "what are we going to do after you leave?" has been making me feel ever-so-slightly guilty (though I think I'm more replaceable than they think). In any case, everyone has been excited enough for me that the whole process, while weird, has gone smoothly so far. It's definitely made the office a more interesting environment, though - here I'm a tech geek and everyone seems to think I have a degree in computer science. Telling them I have a BA in French and that I'm off to do a public policy degree tends to flip people out.

A friend of mine asked this morning how many days I have left. I took this pic for her....

24347ch.jpg

:lol: No, I'm not counting. I don't keep track of how many working days are left. :mrgreen:

Wow! Well put! That just about sums up my two-and a half months of waiting to leave the firm! :D

I work at my university so all that has done is stall any possibility of slowing down. My main professors are kicking me in the bum to get through all of this. Minus the fact I have the mother of all final exams tomorrow at 6pm - 8pm. If I fail that I have to SCRAMBLE to the deans office and re-route graduate class credits to my undergraduate degree. I'm thinking worst case scenario right now. To think I've been accepted to the school I have wanted and one man, in a program I am not in - in a course I am taking for 'fun', can shatter my dreams and future hopes has me so stressed out.

So, work is only spiking my anxiety; they all know I'm in. I'm banking that my boss would drive a shiv in this dude (he has the power to) if he flunks me (though he shouldn't; I'm an A+ student!).

Pretty much everyone knows here at work--I told one person who was so excited he let everyone know as loudly as possible. Most are really proud and congratulatory and were honestly shocked when they found out I was going for a Ph.D (I don't think anyone has a Ph.D here). They do treat me differently, I think they expect me to come back to do big things and somehow provide them with a "hook-up" someday. My direct team all knew I was applying, but I doubt they expected me to actually get in--lots of people talk about going back to school but don't really do it.

They understand that I am leaving but we worked out a contract for me to stay until the end of July (giving me a month vacation before school starts). I think if they find you a valuable employee, they won't let you go any sooner than they have to, and its good to give them time to find someone else to replace you. Hiring someone is a headache most want to avoid.

In the meantime, it is hard working and doing the everyday mundane tasks without thinking about how ridiculously trivial they are now. But I've been keeping myself busy at work preparing for school, doing background reading, preparing schedules and organization manuals (yes I am that obsessive about it), researching the school, looking for apartments, etc. etc. Yes I am counting down the days...

Nope. Everyone congratulated me and even got me a cake with the Yale logo on it :lol:

That's awesome. Alas, I am not very popular with my colleagues, so I'm not even expecting a going-away party of any kind. I think all of us, including me, are very relieved that I am leaving.

:lol: @ the responses.

I'm in the same position. Although I just told my supervisor I was leaving, but its been hard keeping this all to myself. Especially after the stress of re-taking GRE, writing essays, getting reference letters....its been exhausting. I only told ONE of my coworkers....I needed to vent to someone. :lol:

But now that I've been accepted, it puts my administrator and supervisor in a bad position. I work at a medical school, and there is a university-wide hiring freeze right now. :( Sooooo, that means they probably won't fill my position. I have a pretty important job and it needs to be filled ASAP. But my immediate supervisor is supportive of my decision.

I've yet to tell the head administrator yet though (she's the one that will probably give me trouble about it :roll: ).

I don't know what they are going to do....but I'M OUTTA HERE!!! NYU here I come! :lol:

When I decided to apply to grad school in 2006....my coworkers said the same to me. It was SOOO annoying. I actually decided not to attend grad school during that time though. And I didn't dare make the same mistake when applying this time. :lol:

I only told ONE person at work....because I hate people constantly asking me "have you heard anything" :lol:

My boss knew I was applying, but I still haven't told her that I'm going this september (or where I'm going). Everyone else knows, though...my coworkers and my kids. I'm just nervous to tell my boss, because like everyone else, I'm afraid she'll start trying to hire a replacement now and I'll be out of a job by June, where I'd rather work till end of July.

I am in a little bit of a different situation. At my work, everyone knows I am leaving except my boss. All my co-workers are really happy for me, but my boss will be upset because I do a lot and I know they don't have the funds to fill my position once I leave. Plus, another department manager just left last week. It is weird though, to hear my boss talk about events that will happen in the fall, meanwhile I know that I obviously won't be there. My boss and I don't have the best relationship, so it will be really nice to tell her that I am leaving, I just know that she will make my life miserable once she knows the truth.

Everyone where I work knew about my grad school plans (I studied for the GREs during lunch breaks). Most folks were supportive.

I like my job but I'm definitely getting restless. Not to mention some of my co-workers have gotten a little weird on me now that it's official that I'm leaving.

I guess some people think it's a dis that their life's work is my gap year. Has anyone else experienced this?

Everyone where I work knew about my grad school plans (I studied for the GREs during lunch breaks). Most folks were supportive.

I like my job but I'm definitely getting restless. Not to mention some of my co-workers have gotten a little weird on me now that it's official that I'm leaving.

I guess some people think it's a dis that their life's work is my gap year. Has anyone else experienced this?

Not yet, and I don't want to. An update since I created the thread -- I told ONE coworker, a freelancer that works in my department who's a friend of mine. I figured that was safe enough, and I frankly wanted to brag to someone. He IMMEDIATELY went into "gun-for-my-job" mode. I think I mentioned earlier that I am in a very competetive area, and it's possible to bum around in freelance positions for years before landing a full-time regular job like mine. So now I'm worried everyone's going to notice this guy's schmoozing and wheedling, and worse yet is that when I DO tell my boss, he's going to ask my imput on a replacement, and I have to tell him that this guy isn't qualified (he's not). I broke my self-imposed rule ONCE and it was a huge mistake. I'm kicking my own ass right now. I should've just kept my trap shut until 28 days prior, as was my original plan. Arghg

Not yet, and I don't want to. An update since I created the thread -- I told ONE coworker, a freelancer that works in my department who's a friend of mine. I figured that was safe enough, and I frankly wanted to brag to someone. He IMMEDIATELY went into "gun-for-my-job" mode. I think I mentioned earlier that I am in a very competetive area, and it's possible to bum around in freelance positions for years before landing a full-time regular job like mine. So now I'm worried everyone's going to notice this guy's schmoozing and wheedling, and worse yet is that when I DO tell my boss, he's going to ask my imput on a replacement, and I have to tell him that this guy isn't qualified (he's not). I broke my self-imposed rule ONCE and it was a huge mistake. I'm kicking my own ass right now. I should've just kept my trap shut until 28 days prior, as was my original plan. Arghg

Uh oh, you're fired now.

I feel very much weird at work now, specially my boss seems very hostile now :( Everyone in my office knew that I was applying but when I officially told them after getting acceptance, they are acting like I have done some crime ! Now I have to keep this job for at least two more months for the money but it has become so hard to undergo this much tension and abnormal behaviour from the upper management.

i haven't told a soul at my work. and i'm currently debating on giving a 2, 3, or 4 week notice. everybody there is pretty nice, but i think they could fill in at least half of my hours with other current employees rather quickly. and the last time i gave a 2 week notice at a job i was politely let go the following day.

I guess I didn't realize how lucky I am. I work in a lab at a public university and many of the PRAs (professional research assts) leave every year for graduate or medical school. This year, I finally get to be among them. It is expected that we spend no more than two years as lab techs before moving on. Admittedly, I couldn't care less about advancing the projects that won't conclude before August.

Similar to belevitt above, my position is in academia and definitely a temporary one - I was hired on for a year, with the expectation that I would be going back to grad school in a year. And similar to Stories, my boss threw me a party with a cake (no CUNY logo, though - damn!) when I got the much-awaited acceptance. Nevertheless, I've worked for the same professor for over 3 years (2 as her grad. research assistant and now as her full-time research coordinator), and lately I've been interviewing people to replace me. Last week, we found "the one," and it's so odd to see her interacting with my boss and to know that I won't be here in two months! I think this is all amplified my anxiety about moving and starting an intense new program. Part of me just wants to stay here and hide (and not be broke :wink: )

I am working at a retail store (selling) and it is awful that I have three whole months left here! Now that I know where I will be doing my PhD (Northwestern whoo hoo) it's been hell trying to do well at work! I dream of dusty books and infinite libraries... I never thought I'd say this, but I yearn to write a paper! Instead, it's three more months of "Hi, can I help you find your size? All of our shorts are on promotion this week!" Sigh.