New Job to start taking classes in Geophysics in Houston, Denver, OKC, or Corvallis

Hanyuye

Hi all,

As the summer goes by, I keep thinking of how my life would be a million times better out of New York and enrolled in a geophysics program but fortune as evaded me yet again. Currently, I'm a software analyst for a software company that is used nationwide.

I have the ability to apply for a job in Houston and take undergrade/graduate courses at University of Houston or Rice in geophysics/petroleum related

Or take a job in Denver and apply for UC at Denver or Boulder at take related courses.

Or San Diego and Corvallis, Oregon and so the same.

I'm asking because Houston is the center of the energy sector and I thought it was by default to move there. My job is no way related to the energy sector and I've been applying for entry level positions for months now with even ones that only ask for Math majors but no luck there.

You guys have any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it

I have a friend who is stuck in the software sector with a BS in Land Use Planning...so you're not alone.  If you want (and can afford) to take a job in the field you want, do it!  The Southwest has a lot of energy sector jobs.  You'll find geology is big in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. 

Or maybe I misunderstood and you are actually looking to transfer within the company you're currently in?  Either way, if it's available and out west is where you want to be, definitely do it. 

Here are some internships opportunities as well that may help your university of work applications in the future:

http://www.geosociety.org/links/intrnshp.htm

Oregon State has a good reputation and Corvallis is a great place to live.  Having lived in both Galveston and Corvallis, I would pick Corvallis over Houston.  The friends I knew when I was there in the engineering programs were very pleased with the placement rates OSU had as well.

Good luck!

I have a friend who is stuck in the software sector with a BS in Land Use Planning...so you're not alone.  If you want (and can afford) to take a job in the field you want, do it!  The Southwest has a lot of energy sector jobs.  You'll find geology is big in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. 

Or maybe I misunderstood and you are actually looking to transfer within the company you're currently in?  Either way, if it's available and out west is where you want to be, definitely do it. 

Here are some internships opportunities as well that may help your university of work applications in the future:

http://www.geosociety.org/links/intrnshp.htm

Hi geographyrocks.

My company is only located in New York but many other hospitals throughout the country utilize EPIC EMR (Electronic medical record) software. So I can get a job at a hospital in Houston or the places listed and take classes on the side. So you suggest I just to the 5 year program (or 3 years) or keep applying to masters programs and hope to get accepted/cry if I get rejected?

Oregon State has a good reputation and Corvallis is a great place to live.  Having lived in both Galveston and Corvallis, I would pick Corvallis over Houston.  The friends I knew when I was there in the engineering programs were very pleased with the placement rates OSU had as well.

Good luck!

Thank you Lyrehc! I do like Corvallis, all the nature and openness. Though I have to apply as a transfer for their 5 year program (I think they have it) or apply for the masters spring semester. Does OSU have a strong petroleum presence? I didn't notice any petroleum concentrations in their catalogue

if you want to be in energy geophysics almost all roads lead to houston. I would suggest going to houston. 

That's my safest bet. Though I have no clue whether to get my third bachelors (yikes, my first was in English 5 years ago and math I finished 2 months ago) and whether or not that will look bad for adcomms, I'm not hesitant with my career choice just that my circumstances prevented me from moving out of NYC and NYC doesn't have geophysics (except columbia but I can't afford 5k per class).

Should I just transfer for their accelerated programs or just masters again?

Hi geographyrocks.

My company is only located in New York but many other hospitals throughout the country utilize EPIC EMR (Electronic medical record) software. So I can get a job at a hospital in Houston or the places listed and take classes on the side. So you suggest I just to the 5 year program (or 3 years) or keep applying to masters programs and hope to get accepted/cry if I get rejected?

I think it would be easier to make suggestions if you listed your background. We know you have a BA in English and a BS in math. What, if any, geophysics courses have you taken? What was your gpa and GRE scores? Are you going for a masters or phd? How were your LORs? (a guess will do) did you clearly outline your future goals in your SOP? What exactly do you want to study?

Getting into grad school requires so many hoops...lol

I think it would be easier to make suggestions if you listed your background. We know you have a BA in English and a BS in math. What, if any, geophysics courses have you taken? What was your gpa and GRE scores? Are you going for a masters or phd? How were your LORs? (a guess will do) did you clearly outline your future goals in your SOP? What exactly do you want to study?

Getting into grad school requires so many hoops...lol

I haven't taken any geophysics courses, CUNY doesn't offer any. My gpa was around 3.1/3.2, with gre, Quant 162, Vebal, 154, Writing, 4. Though I took it three times in 3 years and my highest Verbal was 155 with 4.5 as highest writing.

I plan to enroll in Masters only, definitely not interested in PhD. 

As for my LORs, I have 2 from geology professors and I read one of them as she gave them to me to edit and it was superb to say the least. My third one was from my math professor who taught me vector calculus, complex analysis, and real analysis. That professor was mainly a financial engineer and knows nothing about engineering/physics. So I assume the LOR was generic?! I hope not...

And as for my outlines , in a general sense, I want to have a job as a petrophysicist/reservoir engineer/geophysicist/seismologist. They ALL are VERY VERY interesting to me as I've researched professors with specialties in those areas and they all are again, very enticing. Depending on the professor (if he/she was a petrophysics expert, I would aim towards petrophysics in research). 

More specifically, seismic interpretations of fluid flow and geophysics of reservoirs. I want to use my geophysics not only for petroleum but also for hydrology. I like many things but not interested in petrology, geophysics of Earth's core, planetary geophysics, that stuff is just not practical to me (no offense to anyone who loves it)

if you want to be in energy geophysics almost all roads lead to houston. I would suggest going to houston.

You also think I should consider OKC as well as much as Houston?

You also think I should consider OKC as well as much as Houston?

Now that you think of it... I think Devon Energy is based out of OKC, so it might be a good option as well.

Thank you Lyrehc! I do like Corvallis, all the nature and openness. Though I have to apply as a transfer for their 5 year program (I think they have it) or apply for the masters spring semester. Does OSU have a strong petroleum presence? I didn't notice any petroleum concentrations in their catalogue

I don't know the answer to that.  I'm a social scientist.  I'm sure if you write the department they would be happy to answer your questions, though.  Their geoscience program is great - I took a couple classes from that department.

Oklahoma is also a good choice.  I currently am in this state and it definitely has a petroleum influence.  Not many mountains, though, and I miss the ocean.