First Year Freak Out

ERR_Alpha

What's impostor syndrome?! :o

When you feel that you don't deserve something. Key example is getting accepted into graduate school but you don't feel like you're as smart as your cohorts.

Edited by Threeboysmom

I went through a couple days on Monday and Tuesday. It started with an overview of the program as well as what was expected from us as far as courses and such were concerned. We filled out tax forms and such so we could start getting paid our stipend. We had time to talk to current graduate students about how the program was run and what we should expect. We went on a quick tour of campus (quick because most of campus was irrelevant to us). Finally, we ended day one with online safety training. Day two was entirely safety training. This has the graduate school a bit spooked, so I think they really want to be certain we're trained in what we do.

Ours was about the same except we only toured the building and not the entire campus.  We had safety training as well and he specifically mentioned that incident.  After hearing all of the stories, I was pretty glad to be on the non-Chemistry side of things. 

And imposter syndrome is basically when you are afraid everyone will find out that you aren't actually smart and you just tricked everyone into thinking that you are.  It's the benefit of being an over-achiever.  Caltech has some good stuff on it https://counseling.caltech.edu/general/InfoandResources/Impostor

What was your orientation session like?  Mine is coming up on Wednesday, not sure what to expect.  Sounds like you had a good time.

Are you going to the Grad School orientation? I have that and then my dept does it's own stuff the rest of the days.

I'm here... Moving into the new apartment, explored the city a bit, even hit the local bar/produce stand. I haven't actually unpacked anything except for my bedding, however, as the whole thing just seems daunting.

Are you going to the Grad School orientation? I have that and then my dept does it's own stuff the rest of the days.

Yep!  I think that's actually the only scheduled event we have next week, although there might be a social event scheduled for our department (not sure yet).

I'm here... Moving into the new apartment, explored the city a bit, even hit the local bar/produce stand. I haven't actually unpacked anything except for my bedding, however, as the whole thing just seems daunting.

For some reason, I love unpacking. I think it's because I look at it as opening presents. I also take the one room approach. Bedding is already out, so that's taken care of. So now you can either go to the kitchen or bathroom. Those are the bext two important rooms. Then I find everything I'll need to look presentable in public. I always leave decorations and knick knacks for last.

The most important thing is music. Crank your favorite tunes and dance around while unpacking. It makes it WAY more fun!

When you feel that you don't deserve something. Key example is getting accepted into graduate school but you don't feel like you're as smart as your cohorts.

Oh dear, I most certainly feel that way. I'm convinced the only reason I was accepted is because they want my money...

Oh dear, I most certainly feel that way. I'm convinced the only reason I was accepted is because they want my money...

Well they do want your money technically, however they wouldn't have granted you admission if they didn't feel you were capable.

Just discovered that I haven't been on the TA email list, which explains why I am so clueless.

Oh no! That's awful. But now I am starting to worry that I have been excluded from some list as well.

I think it is fair to say my anxieties won't be quelled until the middle of this week once I have had all of my orientation meetings.