First Year Freak Out

ERR_Alpha

.  I am freaking out that school starts in just over 3 weeks.  Where did my prep-time go!!!!???

Me too I feel like just the other day I had over 60 days to prepare and now only 15. But I've done well I still have to get a few things done in my office though.

I am officially moved in, nobody died! (Except a poor crow I hit on the highway... RIP crow) Just a tear filled hug session with my dad (fresh out of UG, first time on my own). My sister is with me to help me get settled. I have a week before any of the action starts so that's nice. :)

I can relate.  Feeling I let time go by and jitters getting me.  I am typing at last....lol.  Had serious writer's block.  Got another paper to starts....lots of reading and notes to take still.  I know I can do this....just gotta get past first month.....lol

I still have a month before I relocate from London to Chicago. Aside from the practical stuff like shipping, furnishing an apartment (ok, *finding* an apartment first), money (or lack thereof, and a warning that my first stipend might not arrive for over a month after I arrive), not accidentally wandering into dangerous areas at night etc, my daily fears are about being the least capable grad student in my cohort and leaving behind my SO, family and friends. I've got precisely zero experience in the field I'm going into, and did a non-academic undergrad qualification, so this is kind of a lot going on at once. I also am saying goodbye to all my private students, and entrusting them to new teachers, which shouldn't be stressful, but somehow is.

Trying to replace fear with excitement and/or denial is the current strategy :)

I still have a month before I relocate from London to Chicago. Aside from the practical stuff like shipping, furnishing an apartment (ok, *finding* an apartment first), money (or lack thereof, and a warning that my first stipend might not arrive for over a month after I arrive), not accidentally wandering into dangerous areas at night etc, my daily fears are about being the least capable grad student in my cohort and leaving behind my SO, family and friends. I've got precisely zero experience in the field I'm going into, and did a non-academic undergrad qualification, so this is kind of a lot going on at once. I also am saying goodbye to all my private students, and entrusting them to new teachers, which shouldn't be stressful, but somehow is.

Trying to replace fear with excitement and/or denial is the current strategy :)

People will not let you wander into the dangerous areas. And those areas are pretty obvious so I think you'll be fine. :-) I really like Chicago. I just hated how cold it gets in the winter.

The only thing I'm worried about is money until my stipend is disbursed. I moved here 5 days ago and after spending $400 on furniture and bedding plus another $100 on basic food supplies and toiletries, I'm worries that I won't make it through to the end of the month, when I'm supposed to get paid.

I can tell you that getting my stuff moved in the new apartment was a huge relief.

This is where I am -- all of my furniture and such just arrived today and the movers are coming tomorrow morning to take everything out of my U-Pack and up to my apartment. I couldn't help but take a decent amount of things up myself today simply because I was so relieved to see furniture.

(I've been using folding lawn chairs and barstools for over a week.)

I have a trans-Atlantic move ahead of me. My flight isn't for another month and a half and what I'm most nevous about is whether or not I'm spending sufficient time with my family and SO! I'm so scared of moving and then looking back and thinking "I wish I would have spent more time with so and so..." even though I'm only going to be away fo two years!! 

As you can tell, homesickness is probably going to be a big issue for me :o 

I'm also struggling with compiling a packing list that isn't 90% shoes.......

How are you guys doing?  Any more moving success stories?  Classes are starting in just under two weeks for me, which is crazy to think about.. Oy.

All of my furniture is now in my apartment and the movers I hired couldn't have done a better job. That's a success story right?

Now just waiting for my orientation/meetings next week and classes the week after that. :wacko:

I actually moved here mid-June and started graduate assistant work until my fellowship kicks in for the academic year. So, I've had some time to settle in. Things are pretty quiet, because most other students are out for field work, but I've met a few professors and started working on research proposals with my advisor. I really want classes to start so I can feel like I have more of a schedule for the time being. Also, I feel like I'm not impressing my advisor enough (I know that's unreasonable since I've been here 2 months).

I've met with my professor twice now. Not only was he happy to see and talk to me, he was already trying to convince another professor to give me a good TA assignment. This both shocked and amazed me.

To sum up, it was a lovely experience and he didn't once ask me how I tricked him into letting me into grad school!

If your advisor wants to meet for lunch, I'm betting it's because he/she is eager to get to know you. :-)

Edited by geographyrocks

I've met with my professor twice now. Not only was he happy to see and talk to me, he was already trying to convince another professor to give me a good TA assignment. This both shocked and amazed me.

To sum up, it was a lovely experience and he didn't once ask me how I tricked him into letting me into grad school!

If your advisor wants to meet for lunch, I'm betting it's because he/she is eager to get to know you. :-)

If nothing else, you gotta keep in mind that it is in the best interests of your advisor for you to succeed.

I'm moving tomorrow and then the first orientation event is in a week! It'll be insane - we'll have to unpack, assemble new furniture, pick up the inevitable household stuff we forgot to buy beforehand, avoid the kitchen til the landlord is done replacing the countertop in a couple of days, spend the weekend cleaning the old place and picking up stragglers, and arrange for furniture donation and junk pick up.

I'll have a week after orientation before classes actually start but that'll be spent at workshop orientations and moving into the school workspace.

My plan is to stock the fridge with ice cream and revisit my tradition of watching the X-Files from the beginning while unpacking to power through!

I'm moving tomorrow and then the first orientation event is in a week! It'll be insane - we'll have to unpack, assemble new furniture, pick up the inevitable household stuff we forgot to buy beforehand, avoid the kitchen til the landlord is done replacing the countertop in a couple of days, spend the weekend cleaning the old place and picking up stragglers, and arrange for furniture donation and junk pick up.

I'll have a week after orientation before classes actually start but that'll be spent at workshop orientations and moving into the school workspace.

My plan is to stock the fridge with ice cream and revisit my tradition of watching the X-Files from the beginning while unpacking to power through!

Are you me? I loaded up my truck last night, and am hitting the road this morning. I want to get in, get (somewhat) unpacked, and be ready to go for training on Monday morning. I've already mapped the thrift shops and the produce stand near my new apartment, so I can pick up any extra items I may need/want to fill the space, and have some fresh food to eat (cause cooking may be a few days away.)

I'm moving tomorrow. My advisor offered to meet with me over lunch on orientation day (2 days away) and this is scaring me to bits. Anyone with relatable experience that can lift up a friend?  :)

I've met with my advisor twice -- the first time I visited and the second time when I was looking for housing -- we had great conversations and she actually pointed me in the direction of where I should start doing research. I haven't heard much from her lately but I'm assuming that's because orientation and classes are starting soon so she's probably a little busy....she's the program director and our school just named a new chairperson.

I've also met with other faculty over lunch just as an introduction to the program -- everyone has been incredibly friendly so if I survived you can too! I'm more intimidated for orientation next week meeting everyone in a big group than I was just meeting with faculty one on one.

I'm a bit less freaked out than I was a week ago--I managed to find and secure an apartment (though I'm not sure how I'm going to come up with the money for first & last months rent in 2 weeks...), which was the source of a lot of my stress, and purchase my ticket to Chicago. I haven't had a job all summer so I'm scrambling to find money to fund everything, it's really nerve racking. 

Not to mention the lingering fears about wether I'm fit to be in PhD program, if they admitted me by mistake, imposter syndrome-type stuff. Also the fact that I've gotten some questionable vibes from my department.... and I'm the only person in my cohort....

We'll see tho. Moving in less than 2 weeks.  :ph34r:

Maybe this will help ease some fears:

I had my department orientation today, and it has made me so excited that I can't stop talking about it! I had/have imposter syndrome pretty bad. I even apologized to my advisor today for acting like a spaz yesterday because I was so nervous, and he told me that I acted completely normal. It's funny how so much of this is simply in our heads.

Anyway, I hope everyone has as much fun at their orientation as I did! We are all totally gonna kick ass this year!

I had my department orientation today, and it has made me so excited that I can't stop talking about it! I had/have imposter syndrome pretty bad. I even apologized to my advisor today for acting like a spaz yesterday because I was so nervous, and he told me that I acted completely normal. It's funny how so much of this is simply in our heads.

Anyway, I hope everyone has as much fun at their orientation as I did! We are all totally gonna kick ass this year!

Yeah!

What's impostor syndrome?! :o

What was your orientation session like?  Mine is coming up on Wednesday, not sure what to expect.  Sounds like you had a good time.

What was your orientation session like?  Mine is coming up on Wednesday, not sure what to expect.  Sounds like you had a good time.

I went through a couple days on Monday and Tuesday. It started with an overview of the program as well as what was expected from us as far as courses and such were concerned. We filled out tax forms and such so we could start getting paid our stipend. We had time to talk to current graduate students about how the program was run and what we should expect. We went on a quick tour of campus (quick because most of campus was irrelevant to us). Finally, we ended day one with online safety training. Day two was entirely safety training. This has the graduate school a bit spooked, so I think they really want to be certain we're trained in what we do.