Fall 2015 applicants

Catria

Man did it feel good to change my signature on here. Absolutely psyched (one of my dream programs!) though my brain isn't processing anything at the moment!

By the way Birchleaf, did Cornell interview you before sending the acceptance letter?

I thought that Programs usually interviewed prospective candidates before sending out admissions offers, but it looks like some Programs are sending out offers without interviewing them.

I haven't gotten any interview offers from Brown by this point. So I was wondering if I should give up, or if they could make admission decisions without interviewing candidates. 

By the way Birchleaf, did Cornell interview you before sending the acceptance letter?

I thought that Programs usually interviewed prospective candidates before sending out admissions offers, but it looks like some Programs are sending out offers without interviewing them.

I haven't gotten any interview offers from Brown by this point. So I was wondering if I should give up, or if they could make admission decisions without interviewing candidates. 

They didn't, actually! I had actually applied to the Classics phD, got an email on a Saturday saying that they weren't going to take me in the Classics department specifically but that some people on that committee wanted to consider me under the CIAMS program (which I didn't think I even had a shot for!). I wholeheartedly agreed to transfer my dossier over to them and within three days I had my acceptance letter. Absolutely thrilling.

So no, I wouldn't entirely give up on getting an acceptance without an interview :D

Ugh, the lack of news is really getting to me.

I feel like Classics programs are moving really quickly this year, but also moving really stealthily too!

We really didn't get any info on interview offers from the search page, but we did get some from the forums.

That way, we could anticipate whether we would get a rejection letter or not.

Personally, I would rather see the rejection letter coming beforehand, so that I can prepare myself :P 

But at this rate, I guess I will just have to wait and see whatever letter comes.......

I do have one question though.

Sometimes on the results page, they post that they were notified of the results "via Website."

Do you guys know what website they are talking about? Is it the same website where we submitted our applications?

Like I mentioned before, despite being accepted to Cornell there's no update on apply web and I'm going to assume that's the norm for most programs. However, oftentimes some programs will have their own specific websites not streamlined through ApplyWeb which might post results.

Ugh, the lack of news is really getting to me.

I feel like Classics programs are moving really quickly this year, but also moving really stealthily too!

We really didn't get any info on interview offers from the search page, but we did get some from the forums.

That way, we could anticipate whether we would get a rejection letter or not.

Personally, I would rather see the rejection letter coming beforehand, so that I can prepare myself :P

But at this rate, I guess I will just have to wait and see whatever letter comes.......

I feel you. Seeing acceptances go up on the results page, and not hearing from those schools at least gives me the opportunity to prepare for a rejection. But not hearing anything at all induces nail-biting axiety. 

Just an fyi for all who are wondering out about schools who may present acceptances without interviews, Princeton had a handful of their prospectives that never received interviews. In fact, the post about the grad student from that school was definitely the more accurate timeline. Three things to take away from this: 1. Despite many good intentions, the results page and postings may not be worth a damn in many cases. 2. Schools are definitely off their previous timelines. 3. Don't give up hope!

In regards to Harvard: Only one person has mentioned interviews. One. For Harvard. I had some contact with some faculty there about a research question on February 10th. While applications were mentioned and people are usually good about breaking bad news if asked, there was no indication that make-or-break interviews had taken place. I would venture to guess that the likely scenario is that if interviews occurred on a wide basis, they were for international/domestic students that may not necessarily afford/be available for a in person visit.

Remember, a request to visit or even funding for a fly out does not guarantee anything. While it definitely means that a majority will receive offers, until you are contacted with funding info and explicitly given the option to join the department, view every interaction as a psuedo-interview.

Oh! And to all those waiting in the wings remember, most visiting weekends will be over by mid-March. Not only will that mean some people may not receive official offers, but that those accepted will hppefully be making a decision ASAP (In which case one may receive that eternally validating feeling of being called off the wait-list that may never have even been mentioned before).

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to bring info from experience, colleagues work in the process, and professor's knowledge/opinions to this time of rampant speculation!

Hope it calms more nerves than anything!

"Numerous factors" : chief among them, linguistic and verbal comprrehension. But this is probably too much to ask for. "Arguably" it is the easiest (and most objective) of the elements in an application to improve oneself in.

Also the most pointless thing to spend one's time on, I imagine. Quibbling over a few percentile points is meaningless (90th versus, what, 96th??). The exam is a poor indicator of one's potential for creative scholarly work anyway. How odd that you would get so bent out of shape about it.

Edited by bbpo

Yes. Block me. Academia is a friendly place of encouragement and cooperation, where all agree. I am sure you will find this to be the case.

I wonder if you think Bs should be As, on the grounds that this is "quibbling" over a few points Somehow it does not surprise me you "have no idea." The person addressed knows exactly who it addressed to. No claim was ever made that GRE= scholarly potential, only that it is the easiest area to improve one's application and a quite desirable objective measure to add to the mix, to counter the subjective aspects like LORs and SOPs (which I have no objection to.)

Yes. Block me. Academia is a friendly place of encouragement and cooperation, where all agree. I am sure you will find this to be the case.

I wonder if you think Bs should be As, on the grounds that this is "quibbling" over a few points Somehow it does not surprise me you "have no idea." The person addressed knows exactly who it addressed to. No claim was ever made that GRE= scholarly potential, only that it is the easiest area to improve one's application and a quite desirable objective measure to add to the mix, to counter the subjective aspects like LORs and SOPs (which I have no objection to.)

Well the main issue at hand is that you honestly seem to be trolling. No one has discussed the GRE at great lengths in the past two weeks so you have more or less come in here throwing punches at some invisible strawman.

Sigh, check the results page if you think I am making something out if thin air. Accusations of trolling are often the refuge of someone without a legitimate counterpoint. And yet if I am throwing punches at a "strawman" (not how the term is to be employed, btw) then no one should get upset at "punches" thrown at a non-existent person. I'll leave you all alone now.

Sigh, check the results page if you think I am making something out if thin air. Accusations of trolling are often the refuge of someone without a legitimate counterpoint. And yet if I am throwing punches at a "strawman" (not how the term is to be employed, btw) then no one should get upset at "punches" thrown at a non-existent person. I'll leave you all alone now.

Oh god, really? They say "whatever" to Chicago's rejection (a fairly well-known defense mechanism) and you go off on their GRE? 

I could care less for either their GRE Or rejection. However I do care about the dismissive cry from one whose limited information offered, i.e. the GRE, gives a plausible reason to understand the rejection. In such a case the rejection should be accepted with a stiff upper lip.