Vanderbilt Divinity School Fall 2015 Admissions Questions

EHOM2015

Hi, first time to this forum and I welcome any and all feedback.

I know it is early to be discussing admissions questions for fall 2015, but I'm hoping to get started as early as possible--per the chance I should explore programs outside of Nashville (where I currently live).  I'm trying to realistically discern whether or not I would be considered a highly qualified applicant for the MTS or MDiv (still not certain which one to pursue).  I have a business degree from a University (GPA: 3.62--not the best, I know) where I also minored in religion (3.9).  I worked a bit in Financial Services before returning to graduate school for an M.Ed. in Higher Education Administration (4.0).  There, I was a graduate assistant.  I also created and organized the university's first-ever interfaith dialogue which was highly attended and well received by both faculty and administration. I know some of this is unrelated, but does this sort of recognition hold any weight in the applicant pool? 

I've been working in higher ed for the past year and will get another year under my belt before hopefully beginning at VDS.  I also teach a couple of career planning courses each semester.  I'd like to either pursue campus ministry, seek ordination as a deacon in the UMC, or work for a faith-based non-profit. I hope to have these decisions fleshed out a bit more before writing my SOP...

My concern is my lack of theological/religious related research in both undergraduate and graduate school as well as my limited background in a liberal arts curriculum.

Is funding and/or acceptance realistic given my background? Any assistance, thoughts, or advice would be welcomed...even if brutally honest. 

Many thanks!

Definitely, definitely a good candidate. 

Also - if you're considering ordination in the UMC, be sure to get that process started BEFORE you enter at VDS. Funding from the UMC is far easier to come by if you start the track pre-seminary. Check with GBHEM's loans & scholarships page and their candidacy office for more info. (even for deacons!)

Edited by sport01

Someone will certainly be able to speak to Vandy more specifically, but just broadly speaking, I think you'll be fine. MDiv programs do not require any formal theological/biblical training at all. Given your career interests, I'd recommend the MDiv. You definitely have the practical work (the interfaith stuff) and an interesting and diverse educational background to make you an interesting candidate. Your GPAs are really strong for seminary/div school. Honestly, these sorts of programs are not nearly as competitive as other grad school programs.

Edited by marXian

LOM0408, I'm currently a student at VDS - first year in the M.Div program, so if you have questions about social life, the degrees, etc, I can answer them from the prospective of a first year, or refer you to someone. I've done a lot of networking at VDS and the various campus ministry programs, as my focus is in educational chaplaincy.

As MarXian noted, the MDiv doesn't require any theological work. At Vandy there are quite a few MDiv students in our class that have no experience with the academic study of religion. The MTS program at Vandy is academic, usually 2 years but there's a sizeable population that do 2.5-3 years for the MTS. About the same for MDiv as well, most do it in the traditional 3 years but a noticeable amount stretch it to 4. Some for year-long paid internships, others to prepare for PhD work and not wanting to apply for a separate ThM so they just stay on for an additional year.

Stat wise, you're fine. I've met incoming students with exceptional academic profiles and some that readily admit they did just enough to maintain a 3.0.

The fact that you're a non-traditional applicant helps too.

Funding is hard to gauge here at VDS. Just about everyone I've come across has at least gotten an Instiutional Grant of $12,000. That said, the more lucrative awards of 75%+ are hard to come by, only a handful are given out. I've come across more MTS students getting 75%+ than I have MDiv students. During our Financial Aid information session during orientation, they noted that the median aid package was 50% of "free" aid - free being their term for money that doesn't need to be repaid. So, it's likely you'll need to take out 20k or so a year to cover the remaining expenses, barring any money you're able to bring with yourself.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! Similar question to LOMO 

Was wondering if you guys could evaluate my experience and let me know if I even have a shot of getting into the MTS program (specifically to focus on the Religion, Psychology, and Culture emphasis). I'd truly appreciate honest feedback. Thank you in advance!

Graduated with 3.4 from NYU in Sociology and a minor in Psychology. I studied abroad twice: one semester in Florence, one semester in Berlin. Unfortunately, I don't really have a great relationship with any of my professors, and only studied with each professor once. So, my letter of recommendations are primarily coming from employers and mentors. One is a man that I worked for in Uganda who is the founder of a respected media company. - My concern here is that many students have extensive research backgrounds, excellent rec's from professors, etc. I'm not in that group.

I do, however, have extensive world travel experience: a four month volunteer stint in India at a religious-based ashram for abandoned, mentally ill, and TB/HIV victims. I also shot & edited a promotional video for an orphanage/boarding school for vulnerable children in Uganda, and continued on to work in production assistance in the capital (but then I got malaria, it's not cute, wouldn't recommend it) ;)

I intern for a documentary filmmaker now, and work in music publishing. So I'm concerned that to an admissions comittee I might seem all over the place?

Also, I foresee my GRE scores not being great.

I'd sincerely appreciate your thoughts. Vanderbilt is my top choice, but I'm feeling a bit nervous that I don't quite measure up.

Best of luck to you all on your academic endeavors! xx

Hi everyone! Similar question to LOMO 

Was wondering if you guys could evaluate my experience and let me know if I even have a shot of getting into the MTS program (specifically to focus on the Religion, Psychology, and Culture emphasis). I'd truly appreciate honest feedback. Thank you in advance!

Graduated with 3.4 from NYU in Sociology and a minor in Psychology. I studied abroad twice: one semester in Florence, one semester in Berlin. Unfortunately, I don't really have a great relationship with any of my professors, and only studied with each professor once. So, my letter of recommendations are primarily coming from employers and mentors. One is a man that I worked for in Uganda who is the founder of a respected media company. - My concern here is that many students have extensive research backgrounds, excellent rec's from professors, etc. I'm not in that group.

I do, however, have extensive world travel experience: a four month volunteer stint in India at a religious-based ashram for abandoned, mentally ill, and TB/HIV victims. I also shot & edited a promotional video for an orphanage/boarding school for vulnerable children in Uganda, and continued on to work in production assistance in the capital (but then I got malaria, it's not cute, wouldn't recommend it) ;)

I intern for a documentary filmmaker now, and work in music publishing. So I'm concerned that to an admissions comittee I might seem all over the place?

Also, I foresee my GRE scores not being great.

I'd sincerely appreciate your thoughts. Vanderbilt is my top choice, but I'm feeling a bit nervous that I don't quite measure up.

Best of luck to you all on your academic endeavors! xx

The GRE isn't required for the MTS. Having no real academic LORs will probably raise an eyebrow but coming from a large school like NYU explains some of this away. I came from a large school and 2/3 LORs I only had for one class, the other I had for two - so somewhat weak relationships.

I don't see your 3.4 being an issue. NYU is fairly reputable and your degree is related to your AOI. I'm sure your travel experience will be a nice bonus but I don't see it helping much for MTS - it won't hurt though, that's for sure.

thank you! still deciding between MTS and MA- this might seem like a ridiculous question, and I hope it isn't offensive in any way, but is the MTS atmosphere more Christianity-focused since it is within the Divinity School? What is the overlap in terms of courses taken between the MA and MTS? i wanted to focus my studies more on eastern religious traditions & psychology, and possibly deepen my studies within Judaism.  I don't want to just assume that because MTS is within the Divinity School it might be biased toward Christian traditions, but hey, why not ask. Thanks for your feedback!

This is all so helpful, thank you! LOR Question: I've been removed from undergrad for over 6 years now and was planning to have two LORs from faculty within my most recent graduate program (M.Ed. Higher Ed) and one or two from my graduate assistantship supervisor and current professional position supervisor (in Higher Ed).  Are these too unrelated and irrelevant?  I honestly haven't kept touch with my undergrad professors but still have strong ties to those from my M.Ed. graduate program since it was more recent.  Thoughts? 

thank you! still deciding between MTS and MA- this might seem like a ridiculous question, and I hope it isn't offensive in any way, but is the MTS atmosphere more Christianity-focused since it is within the Divinity School? What is the overlap in terms of courses taken between the MA and MTS? i wanted to focus my studies more on eastern religious traditions & psychology, and possibly deepen my studies within Judaism.  I don't want to just assume that because MTS is within the Divinity School it might be biased toward Christian traditions, but hey, why not ask. Thanks for your feedback!

Not offensive at all. The MTS is academically focused on Christianity, not practically like say the MDiv is also practically and academically focused on Christianity. The overlap in courses is broad. MTS/MDiv students have access to the same courses that an MA student would. That said, the MTS comes with more requirements than the MA as far as required courses. So, if you're an MTS student that's really interested in say eastern religious traditions - the GDR will have courses that will benefit you, but you'll need to use an elective to take them. Officially MTS students have access to 2 electives (6 hours), but there are ways to finesse your program to get an extra elective or two.

That being said, if your academic interest is in eastern religious traditions and/or Judaism, the MA would be a better route since you'll be able to tailor your entire program toward that, rather than just your electives.

The MTS degree is 51 hours and the MDiv is 84, so keep that in mind too. While you can officially finish these programs in 2 and 3 years respectively, it's a real struggle so most students end up taking summer courses or extending their studies an extra semester/year since most have to work and juggling work + 15 hours a semester is a nightmare.

This is all so helpful, thank you! LOR Question: I've been removed from undergrad for over 6 years now and was planning to have two LORs from faculty within my most recent graduate program (M.Ed. Higher Ed) and one or two from my graduate assistantship supervisor and current professional position supervisor (in Higher Ed).  Are these too unrelated and irrelevant?  I honestly haven't kept touch with my undergrad professors but still have strong ties to those from my M.Ed. graduate program since it was more recent.  Thoughts? 

It's perfectly fine and acceptable to use references from your M.Ed. professors.

Vandy will waive the requirement for 2 academic LORs only if you've been out of formal school for seven years or more - this includes graduate school. So, they'll expect that you'll use LORs from your graduate school professors unless that degree will be seven years old or older, in which case you get some leeway in who writes your LORs.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd also like to see what everyone thinks of how I stack up or if there is anything I could do to help strengthen my application for Vanderbilt's MTS. Because I don't feel qualified enough, I never considered Vanderbilt as a possibility. However, after talking to my uncle, who has an M.T.S., M.A., and Ph.D from Vanderbilt, I decided why not try. I graduated from the University of Dayton with a 3.1 GPA. My major was Sport Management and also minored in Communication and Entrepreneurship. My major GPA was a 3.4. Looking back at my transcript my lowest grades came in classes from the required general electives (math & science) and my entrepreneurship minor. I took 12 credits in Philosophy & Religion which averaged out to a 3.5.  I'm not sure how deeply they look into the transcripts but I figured I'd provide that information just in case. 

Outside of my undergrad, I currently own my own sports marketing and public relations business. I'm active in my church young adult ministry, worked in ministry at a Hispanic church, and recently started my own inter-denominational Bible study group which I'm hoping to expand into an ecumenical ministry. 

I expect to have a couple of strong LOR's from 2 former professors. The third is questionable since I only had him for 2 classes and it was several years ago now. 

I fear my GPA is what will hold me back. 

I appreciate all input!

I think you'll be fine. I can't speak to the MTS admissions specifically but there are MTS students here that entered with a noticeably lower GPA and a shorter and less impactful CV than you. The GPA cut-off use to be 2.75 but they've since raised it to 2.9.

Your involvement in ministry at Hispanic churches is going to be a big asset. VDS has recently hired an Adcom Rep whose sole job is to diversify the student body with primarily Hispanic and Asian-"minded" individuals. "Minded" in this case is people with claims to the heritage or strong ties/interests to those regions.

I think you'll be fine. I can't speak to the MTS admissions specifically but there are MTS students here that entered with a noticeably lower GPA and a shorter and less impactful CV than you. The GPA cut-off use to be 2.75 but they've since raised it to 2.9.

Your involvement in ministry at Hispanic churches is going to be a big asset. VDS has recently hired an Adcom Rep whose sole job is to diversify the student body with primarily Hispanic and Asian-"minded" individuals. "Minded" in this case is people with claims to the heritage or strong ties/interests to those regions.

Appreciate the feedback. Also, how much consideration do they give to your affiliation? I ask specifically because I am a revert back to Catholicism from Protestantism. I'm assuming I may need to address that in my SOP, in regards to some of my research interests. 

Appreciate the feedback. Also, how much consideration do they give to your affiliation? I ask specifically because I am a revert back to Catholicism from Protestantism. I'm assuming I may need to address that in my SOP, in regards to some of my research interests.

If it impacts your research interests, go for it. To be honest, I don't know of a Catholic in the divinity school so having that perspective would be nice - though I'm sure there's some hiding somewhere.