When is it the right time to take the test?

Bemanos

This may seem quite ludicrous but i am clueless .Lets say that i want to apply at ~November-December (of 2015 but it does not matter) .According to my academic and personal schedule the best time for me to take the test would be about 7-8 months earlier (On March or April) .The fact that my results will be 7-8 months old when i submit them is it going to affect my application? Do they have a particular(unofficial) time limit (eg 3 months) for these kinds of things?

Thank you in advance !

Edited by Bemanos

According to ETS, GRE scores are good for five years. Academia prefers new stuff, but scores that are taken during the calendar year shouldn't be frowned upon (YMMV depending on program and discipline). For most programs, the GRE isn't a very big factor in the application process. Your application materials are. Aside from the subject test, the GRE tells them nothing about your scholarship in the field.

I would recommend taking the test early enough so that if you must retake the test, you have time to do so (this includes finding an open spot to register for on test day). There is a waiting period for a retake. And people often do retake the test for a variety of reasons. I know someone who had to retake it because she ran over a frog on the way to the testing center and cried her way through the first part because of the frog and then the rest because of stress.

For what it's worth I originally applied to grad schools in 2009 so I had a subject test score in 2009. When I applied to PhD programs in 2011, they didn't mind taking my 2009 scores at all (although I did retake it in Nov 2011 but it was because I was trying to get a higher score, not because of the "age" of the old score).

The schools can also set their own cutoffs, so even though the GRE is officially good for five years some schools may ask for GRE within the last 3 years.  I think that is fairly rare, but if a school has any kind of time cutoff below 5 years they would make it clear in the application under the GRE section.  Within that time period I don't think they care when nor would it have any bearing on your application.  Think of it also that they don't care how long ago you graduated.  A newer GPA is no different than a 2 year old GPA.  The numbers mean the same.  I'd think GRE "expiration dates" are more about ETS than it is school's.