How early should I take the Qualifying Exam?

Hi,

I am an EE PhD major who's just started his PhD. The departmental graduate secretary emailed out application forms for qualifying exams this afternoon (to all PhD students I suppose).

So the QE will be an oral one and is meant to assess one's readiness to conduct research in the chosen field by testing one's ability to apply what one has learned in previous MS and BS classes to analyzing research literature.

One is required to pass within 3 long semesters.

Since I am just starting and I am already taking a research credit of 6 hours this semester followed by a 3 credit hours coursework, do you think I will be overloading myself with much labor if I decide to take on this qualifying exam this fall or should I defer it to my next two long semesters? 

I will be pleased to read your thoughts.

Thank you!

In my experience, the first semester of grad school is the most stressful one as you try to settle in. I think adding in the Qualifying exam would be too much. You also (typically) need your thesis committee in place before you take Quals - so there's that to take into account too. 

I'd ask around your more senior colleagues to find out when they took the Quals. Your new PI also might have an opinion about whether you leave the Quals to the last semester, or if they'd prefer you get it out the way quickly.

The earliest I've seen students taking qualifying exams in any of the programs I've been exposed to is after 1 year. Often, it occurs at 2-2.5 years. I guess it could happen earlier in some programs, but I feel you really need a chance to settle in. I recently took mine after being in my program for right at a year. I would not have been ready in the first 2-3 months. I feel like one year was the earliest I personally could ave been ready for the exam, so I would definitely wait. Your school may actually not let you do your qual until you've taken a certain amount of classes or have declared a research topic and advisor, so that will be something important to look into.

All the answers should be in your department's graduate student handbook.  Also, it's up to your committee you put together to decide when you're ready to take your exams.

Just breathe... and settle in your first year!

Thank you guys. You were really helpful. I discussed this issue with my advisor a day after putting it up here and he wants me to settle in first and also get some GPA under my belt before I decide for the "screaming" exam.

I don't know about your experiences, but I am finding the pressure in the system so great that I find it difficult to recalibrate after my day and keep up with other things in life. Right now, I am the sole investigator for a project which my advisor won the grant shortly before I came (my RAship actually comes from this project) and my advisor thinks I am equal to the task.

My head tells me I should not be leading a project execution at this time. What do you guys say?

Thank you guys. You were really helpful. I discussed this issue with my advisor a day after putting it up here and he wants me to settle in first and also get some GPA under my belt before I decide for the "screaming" exam.

I don't know about your experiences, but I am finding the pressure in the system so great that I find it difficult to recalibrate after my day and keep up with other things in life. Right now, I am the sole investigator for a project which my advisor won the grant shortly before I came (my RAship actually comes from this project) and my advisor thinks I am equal to the task.

My head tells me I should not be leading a project execution at this time. What do you guys say?

Talk to your advisor. As scary as they may seem, advisors really just want you to succeed. Talk to him about your concerns and if your worries are normal. Most likely, you're in the same boat as everyone else. 

I've been running a project in a similar situation since I joined the lab in the middle of my classes. My advisor guides me when I need it (as they're supposed to do) and I meet with him often to discuss data and where I am at. As long as your professor is guiding you to some degree, you should be fine.