Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hi all!

New poster here but have been following the feed for some time. I've applied for the two year MSW to Carleton, Laurier, U of T, and York, and received an offer of admission to Carleton on the 20th. I've been accepted with the condition that I receive at least a B in Statistics (which is not a problem).

Does anyone live in Ottawa and know anything about Carleton and their program? I feel that it is the best fit for me (structural) as someone who is interested in public policy but only know what is written on their website. They have offered me full funding with a TA-ship so I'm extremely inclined to accept this offer. It expires in 21 days. My family is hoping that I attend Laurier but I have to do what is best for me. Any advice?

Thanks everyone and good luck! 

What a great offer, congratulations!! Do you mind me asking what type of course you would be TAing for? (im not sure if they give this info bur im curious because that is SO cool!)

Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, but I wasn't able to post due to a botched registration but I'm finally here!

I've applied to two 2 year MSW programs, at Carleton and Laurier. I'm currently located in the Kitchener-Waterloo area but I'm actually hoping for Carleton because I'm from eastern Ontario originally and I'd like to move closer to home. 

I haven't heard back from either school yet, but I'm impatiently waiting! My status for Carleton has changed to: Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs, so hopefully that means something good!

mine hasnt changed yet either it still says "review in progress by department" ... when did yours change?? 

You're both so lucky! Mine hasn't changed yet and I'm also for the 2 year stream :(. I've officially come to terms that I'm probably not going to get into grad school... ugh. I hate this process.  

mine hasnt changed either .. it still says "review in progress by department" :( 

Ugh...my windsor application documents for msw for working professionals isn't even showing as received yet! (Although they emailed me to tell me they got everything). This wait is going to be foreverrrrrrr!  

I applied at Waterloo too...I wonder if mine will be rejected/accepted later because I'm not due to have my BSW till April officially...

I've applied to Windsor and Waterloo.

I won't have completed my BSW coursework until April either but I received an offer of admission from windsor a few weeks ago so don't worry about that. Good luck :)

I'm hoping to hear back from Waterloo this week! People have already been given offers there, so it's making me so anxious.

What a great offer, congratulations!! Do you mind me asking what type of course you would be TAing for? (im not sure if they give this info bur im curious because that is SO cool!)

They have you fill out a TA profile and you suggest the courses that you would be willing to and competent to TA for. I looked at their course calendar and selected sociology courses that I performed well in and in subjects I am well informed about - I selected classical theory, qual. and quant. research methods, and health sociology.

They have you fill out a TA profile and you suggest the courses that you would be willing to and competent to TA for. I looked at their course calendar and selected sociology courses that I performed well in and in subjects I am well informed about - I selected classical theory, qual. and quant. research methods, and health sociology.

wow that is so cool! This school definitely looks amazing in terms of what they offer their students. Thats really great good luck!

@Dawnzii did your status change on rosi? When was your admissions letter dated ? Did you just receive it? I live in the prairies so I wonder if that has anything to do with my letter being late!

Prairiegirl2015 - I live on Vancouver Island at the moment, and I have not received an acceptance or rejection letter yet from U of T. Let me know when you get yours and maybe it will alert me that mine is coming in the next few days! :)

Does anyone know when U of T sends out rejection letters? It's hard to know where I stand right now because Vancouver Island is so far away. I could have a letter in the mail, or I could have been rejected. I'm thinking if I don't receive an acceptance in the next two weeks I can assume I did not get in. But do rejection letters go out at the same time?

The only other school I applied to was UBC-Okagagan's clinical MSW program and I was accepted to that a week and a half ago. I did try checking ROSI and there is nothing on there - maybe that means I did not get in or am waitlisted? Hard to say at this point. Could be that they haven't updated the system for everyone admitted yet. I am comforted by the fact that I know I am going somewhere this fall at the very least :) Where else did you apply?

Welcome to the forum! I wish this forum helped ease my mind but some days I think it makes me more impatient, especially knowing that the advanced standing applicants are starting to get offers haha

If you do not mind me asking what are your reasons for your preference between Laurier and U of T?

I completely agree with you! I am just happy that we can keep our sanity by seeing that other people are going through what we are going through.

As for my preference for Laurier, I want to go there mainly for the CPPO program it offers. Although I want to focus on gerontology, I want to learn more about the social problems and how I am able to create change in the governing policies. Although U of T is an incredible school, I have just always been drawn to the CPPO program at Laurier and I feel that it would really prepare me for my choice of career.

But either way I would be happy to get into both schools. Windsor on the other hand is 4 hours away from my house and my "back up" school. I would still be excited to enter the program but the thought of living 4 hours away from my home is stressful in itself. 

Also, I just read your post about having faculty who share the same interests as you. This is one reason that U of T is attracting me because there is a faculty member who shares the same research focus as me. (Elder abuse and prevention/response interventions). So another reason why deciding schools is that much more difficult... I mean I guess I should wait until I find out if I get in before I drive myself crazy deciding between the schools lol  :)

Edited by Christina2

Christina2 - Welcome! You won't be hearing back from Laurier anytime soon.  They are running later than usual this year with the Advanced Standing MSW, we haven't even heard yet and we are supposed to hear by the end of the month.  Laurier 2-yr decisions don't come out until April, UofT will probably be the same.  So don't start going crazy just yet, you have a couple of months to go :P

Thanks  :) ! 

And wow! Well it seems that Windsor is going well for timing for the 1 year if I'm correct? So hopefully that will hold me over until the long April wait  :unsure::)  

For anyone applying to the UofT advanced standing MSW, I think we are all overthinking things. It seems that this year some admission offers went out on February 11, however I do not think that ALL offers will be sent out on the same date this year. Last year all letters went out on March 3, so there is no reason why the admissions committee wouldn't have sent out rejection and waitlist letters on Feburary 11 as well if all their decisions were made. February 11 was just about 2 weeks ago, so I think it is safe to say that if you live in Canada, and have not received anything yet, that it is probably because there was nothing to receive (meaning it was not mailed out on February 11). Having said that, we were first told mid-March for decisions. Perhaps they are just mailing them out as they are processed, as opposed to waiting for all to be complete. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that there are many logical explanations why some have not heard back yet. Unless you have received a letter that says you were not admitted, I don't think there is any reason to believe so at this point; after all, they are still well ahead of schedule.

Personally, I don't think comparing to last year (for UofT at least) is very meaningful at this point, and we should just continue to remain positive. The fact that any letters were mailed in February confirms that the admissions committee is doing things differently this year. Had it not been for reading some posts, none of us would be expecting a letter from UofT this early. I think we should give ourselves the benefit of the doubt and take it one week at a time until mid-March.

Edited by ImpatientlyWaiting

Well, I spent the weekend trying (not very successfully) not to think about hearing from Laurier.  Now it is almost Monday and I am back to crazy town!  Apparently my town might be cancelling school again tomorrow (was cancelled Friday) for extreme cold so I might have my kidlets at home with me which will at least help distract me.  Tomorrow is February 23 and they say we are supposed to hear by the end of February which is Friday.  This is already later than last year!  Other Laurier advanced program hopefuls - are you going as crazy as I am???

ImpatientlyWaiting - I agree, they are obviously doing things very differently this year.  They have always said they will notice the first two weeks of March.  Last year all the acceptances, rejections, and waitlists went out on March 3.  I received my acceptance on March 6.  Clearly this year there is something different going on so I agree that people should not worry too much until mid-March has passed.  I know that is easier said than done, obviously I'm going totally insane about Laurier, but I think you should definitely not give up hope yet!

mine hasnt changed yet either it still says "review in progress by department" ... when did yours change?? 

@Social Work 93 --I know I checked my status on Thursday and nothing had changed but I didn't check it again until yesterday, so I'm assuming that mine also changed on Friday, same as Bagheera.