Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Thought I would start a new thread for the upcoming application cycle!

Short intro about me:  My name is Shawna, I graduated with my BSW in June of 2014.  I applied to both Laurier and UofT for the Fall 2014 cycle and I was waitlisted to Laurier and accepted to UofT.   Unfortunately due to personal reasons I was not able to attend UofT this year but thankfully they were very accommodating about deferring my acceptance to Fall 2015.  So my current status is that I am already accepted to UofT for the advanced standing MSW for Fall 2015.  I have also decided to re-apply to Laurier and hope my waitlist turns to an acceptance this time because I have children and ideally I would rather be close to home for my MSW.

I graduated with my BSW from Memorial U's 5 year BSW program in 2011. I've been working in child protection since then, as well as part time work as an addictions counsellor and disaster management volunteer with the Canadian Red Cross. 

I'm planning on applying to the distance programs at U Vic and Waterloo as well as the on campus program at U of Manitoba. My boyfriend's family is from there, so we would move there for two years while renting out our house. Scary stuff! 

I'm considering applying to Dal as well for their distance program.

Edited by JellzBellz

I graduated with an Honours BA in Health Studies & Sociology in 2013 and I am currently working for a research team at a hospital that looks at children's development (from all aspects - cognitive to physical etc.) over the lifespan in addition to studying their mother's well being :) I have a diverse volunteer background ranging from 2 projects abroad to community organizations involving teaching, coaching, and CAS, and then fundraising and advocating for national organizations like Kids Help Phone!

I am hoping that my lengthy volunteer involvement and good academic standing make me a good applicant for U of T's and Laurier MSW programs as well as Guelph's CMFT program.

Best of luck to all!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Shawna for starting this topic!

I graduated in 2014 with an Honours BA in Children's Studies and I applied last Fall to York and UofT for the 2 year MSW. I was wait-listed at UofT, and now I am getting ready to re-apply. In the meantime I found a job as a research assistant, interviewing families (parents&kids) for a study on children's behaviour and enviornment. 

I have also taken on 3 new volunteer positions since graduating, expanding my experience working directly with families. I am really excited to apply this year and I am hoping all the hard work will pay off. 

This year I am also applying to the University of Windsor and Laurier in addition to UofT and York. 

Good luck everyone!

Hi @blh22, yes I am definitely going towards specializing in Children and Families, that has been my goal from the beginning but I just didn't have the experience to compete last year. Thanks for your words of encouragement, you also seem to have experience in all the right places!

I talked to one of the admissions professors at UofT regrading my application a few weeks ago and she told me they value research a lot so it's great that you have that. 

Hey everyone!

Thanks Shawna for starting this topic! This past year, it has been great to follow this and previous years' forums when applying.

I applied this past year for the two-year MSW programs at York University, Laurier and University of Toronto. I was waitlisted for University of Toronto; however, it looks like I'll be re-applying this year. *fingers crossed* Some more experience I'm hoping I'll be able to get in this time. I would really like to specialize in Mental health.

I see a few of you have jobs as research assistants/part of research teams. I was wondering ,if you don't mind me asking, how did you go about seeking out such opportunities? This is something that would greatly interest me and would be great experience.

@b39 lack of professional experience was one area I required improvement on right after graduating as well! So, I have definitely worked towards gaining more balance with my experiences :) I have heard that U of T is very research oriented and I am thankful for that because I would like to continue down that route, however the idea of living in TO is a little intimidating for me. And the application questions.. sheesh do not get me started on those!

@ash_d19 it was luck of the draw for me really, I was on a job application frenzy after graduating my undergrad and having been unemployed for 2.5 months. But I applied through my university's job portal/system however take a look into specific departments at universities, colleges and hospitals :)

Hey everyone!

Thanks Shawna for starting this topic! This past year, it has been great to follow this and previous years' forums when applying.

I applied this past year for the two-year MSW programs at York University, Laurier and University of Toronto. I was waitlisted for University of Toronto; however, it looks like I'll be re-applying this year. *fingers crossed* Some more experience I'm hoping I'll be able to get in this time. I would really like to specialize in Mental health.

I see a few of you have jobs as research assistants/part of research teams. I was wondering ,if you don't mind me asking, how did you go about seeking out such opportunities? This is something that would greatly interest me and would be great experience.

Hey, 

I got my position much like blh22, I was looking for jobs and pretty much applying to everything under the sun ( charityvillage.com, indeed, etc.) and I came across this opportunity. Aside from that some of the girls I work with also have a second research job and they got that through connections, browsing the internet relentlessly for job postings, or contacting old professors who are also doing research. 

Hey all! My name is Jenn and I'll be applyin to Waterloo distance ed Msw for fall 2015. I'm just currently in u of Manitoba bsw program distance ed and won't be officially done till April so I don't think my chances are great this yr to get in as I'm technically not done yet..as well don't have much experience in the health social work field but worth a shot! Been working at cas for 7 yrs and glad this thread was created so we can keep tabs ! :)

Welcome Jenn! It sounds like you have some great working experience, so I wouldn't cut yourself short :) What unit of CAS do you currently work in if you don't mind me asking? 

Blh22- thx! Seeing all of the different experience gets me a bit worried I guess! I'm on the intake team..so investigations and crisis management work. I know Waterloo is more health focused which is where I eventually want to be but haven't got the experience to back that up unfortunately! Not looking to be in child welfare for my whole career tho.. Hoping my gpa and application even it out :)

Hello everyone! This will be my second year applying for an MSW. Last year I limited myself to Windsor, believing my grades weren't good enough for admittance to universities in the GTA (I have a mid-level B average). This year I am going to reapply to Windsor's 2 Year Regular track MSW program, as well as U of T's (still determining which area of focus). Since I don't hold a BSW I have also been thinking about applying to U Vic's Distance Ed BSW, as well as Lakehead's 1 year HBSW (although I a just started working at a counselling centre on a 1 year contract that ends in September…).

While my GPA is really only at admittance level, I believe my lack of experience held me back. When I applied last year I had only been volunteering casually as a Puppeteer at CAS, as well as an educator with an eating disorder clinic. Prior to that I had worked in the media industry as a project coordinator which I failed to put on my application, believing it wasn't relevant. However, this year I started working as a program coordinator at a counselling centre (yay!) and will begin volunteering with a distress line next week. I hope that the added experience is enough and holds relevance. I really want to get a job that will allow me to work with people (my preference being at-risk youth) in a setting that allows me to counsel them and use my dramatic arts background. 

Aside from the schools I'm applying to, does anyone else have any suggestions of other schools/programs I should consider? I don't wish to limit my options. 

Anywho, good luck, everyone! I had a really good experience in the boards last year. Everyone was so helpful and encouraging. Great support system :) 

hi everyone,

I hope you all had a good summer! Last year I applied for the 2 year MSW program at Laurier and U of T and the one year bsw at lakehead. I was wait listed at lakehead but wasn't successful. I feel like my downfall was my grades but I have graduated in april in criminal justice and public policy and minoring in child and family studies with an 81% average so even though it isn't as high as I would like it to be i feel more comfortable with it. 

I was planning on reapplying to my msw again this year but I have received a contract position with the ministry of education as a program advisor and will be working fulltime and therefore unable to be in school full time. I still really want to have an education in the social work field so I am looking at applying to u of vic bsw online program and dalhousies online bsw program 

I was just wondering if anyone has applied to these/have completed them? and how competitive they are? 

As I said I have an A- average, i am working full time as a program advisor, i volunteered at cas for the past 3 years in a variety of different programs, i volunteered this past summer at a youth shelter and i was on the board for MADD for a year 

Kenzie123 have you considered University of Manitoba online BSW? I am completing it right now and highly recommend it! They have been great for online delivery and are very flexible :) I think Dalhousie has a pretty good reputation as well but I don't know from first-hand experience. Good luck!

Hello everyone! This will be my second year applying for an MSW. Last year I limited myself to Windsor, believing my grades weren't good enough for admittance to universities in the GTA (I have a mid-level B average). This year I am going to reapply to Windsor's 2 Year Regular track MSW program, as well as U of T's (still determining which area of focus). Since I don't hold a BSW I have also been thinking about applying to U Vic's Distance Ed BSW, as well as Lakehead's 1 year HBSW (although I a just started working at a counselling centre on a 1 year contract that ends in September…).

While my GPA is really only at admittance level, I believe my lack of experience held me back. When I applied last year I had only been volunteering casually as a Puppeteer at CAS, as well as an educator with an eating disorder clinic. Prior to that I had worked in the media industry as a project coordinator which I failed to put on my application, believing it wasn't relevant. However, this year I started working as a program coordinator at a counselling centre (yay!) and will begin volunteering with a distress line next week. I hope that the added experience is enough and holds relevance. I really want to get a job that will allow me to work with people (my preference being at-risk youth) in a setting that allows me to counsel them and use my dramatic arts background. 

Aside from the schools I'm applying to, does anyone else have any suggestions of other schools/programs I should consider? I don't wish to limit my options. 

Anywho, good luck, everyone! I had a really good experience in the boards last year. Everyone was so helpful and encouraging. Great support system :)

Have you considered Laurier's MSW program?

AENMSW,

Child studies may be of interest to you, as well as an MA in Counselling, either through a psychology department if you have a degree in psych or a department of education if you don't. (U of Ottawa and UNBC have two good options for a MEd. in Counselling).

This is a good website to do a Canada-wide search of university programs: http://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/

Good luck!!

Edited by jenste

Have you considered Laurier's MSW program?

Funny enough, I went there last year to ask them about it, and they said I didn't meet the requirements in both social science courses and lack of experience (honestly, the Coordinator wasn't helpful at all and she completely forgot about our meeting). I *might* look in to it again, just so I'm not putting all of my eggs into one basket.

AENMSW,

Child studies may be of interest to you, as well as an MA in Counselling, either through a psychology department if you have a degree in psych or a department of education if you don't. (U of Ottawa and UNBC have two good options for a MEd. in Counselling).

This is a good website to do a Canada-wide search of university programs: http://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/

Good luck!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Jenste! I'll definitely look in to those options as well. Just really trying to keep my options open :) Time to buckle down!

Funny enough, I went there last year to ask them about it, and they said I didn't meet the requirements in both social science courses and lack of experience (honestly, the Coordinator wasn't helpful at all and she completely forgot about our meeting). I *might* look in to it again, just so I'm not putting all of my eggs into one basket.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jenste! I'll definitely look in to those options as well. Just really trying to keep my options open :) Time to buckle down!

That's really strange that you would meet the requirements for other university's 2 year MSW programs, but not Laurier... Jenste's recommendations for non-MSW programs seem like good fits for you as well :)

I'm so glad that this topic has been started!!

I graduated a few years ago with a degree in international development studies. I would like to apply to several 2-year MSW programs: UVic, U of T, McGill, and York.

I am worried that I don't have enough experience, and I also am not sure how they will calculate my GPA. I have a 3.7 (A-) average in my 300/400 level coursework... but just a 3.5 GPA if they calculate my last 2 years, including 100/200 level courses. Not sure if that's competitive enough. The UBC program only admits 15 people a year. Yikes! I have this vision that everyone has an A+ average and has basically been a social worker for 5 years, haha!

In terms of experience, I have..

- 2 summers as a volunteer camp counsellor with the Boys and Girls Club (approx. 8 weeks full-time total)

- 1 summer as a full-time, paid day camp counsellor; 1 summer as paid, full-time assistant director of the day camp

* I didn't think camp experience would count, but UCalgary's site lists it as a type of eligible experience. Not sure if that's just UC though.

- 2 years full-time paid work in student government, one in academic advocacy and policy development (low-income students, aboriginal students, etc.), one year in a management role (supervised a drop-in peer support centre and food bank for students, more policy development)

- research assistant for project about lived experience of poverty and social assistance

- full-time research assistant on a project about university students' mental health, disability, and accommodations

- 1 year + as coordinator of a mental health support program for students

When I look at the program websites, they all seem to say that their applicants have really intense, professional, direct-contact experience, like "leader of a mobile crisis intervention for LGBTQ homeless youth with addictions" etc. SO I have no clue. I'm debating getting a volunteer position with a local distress line to boost up my experience slightly before applying. Not sure if it would help or not, though. Any thoughts??!

Very happy to have found this board so we can support/encourage each other through this process!!

Welcome to the discussion board! Well, first off it sounds as though you have some well rounded experience. So, don't sell yourself short and take a moment to be proud of what you have accomplished :)

Yes, all programs are competitive in one way or another but be confident in your experiences and convey that to admissions. If you think you're capable of another volunteer experience I say go for it, otherwise I would suggest considering work shops or training sessions as a means of skill building. I have found this a bit more manageable with my schedule and beneficial to my work since it's short term (e.g. 1 or 2 day sessions for 1-3 weeks), does not involve me breaking a contract or commitment (some volunteer agencies require "x" amount of hours per week or 1-2 year contracts), shows commitment to education (e.g. staying up to date on relevant issues) and sometimes cost effective (my job pays for some, others are free within the community).

If you don't mind me asking, do you have a specific focus in mind for your MSW? As in what type of population or groups of individuals you would like to work with or specialization?

That's really strange that you would meet the requirements for other university's 2 year MSW programs, but not Laurier... Jenste's recommendations for non-MSW programs seem like good fits for you as well :)

Apparently I didn't meet requirements in terms of number of social science courses. I come from a drama background as my major, but I minored in Communication (which is a social science, no?) and took some women's studies courses. I just looked at my transcript and if Comm/Art History counts, then it should be enough. Weird. I think I am going to apply. I mean, the worst they'll say is no.

Apparently I didn't meet requirements in terms of number of social science courses. I come from a drama background as my major, but I minored in Communication (which is a social science, no?) and took some women's studies courses. I just looked at my transcript and if Comm/Art History counts, then it should be enough. Weird. I think I am going to apply. I mean, the worst they'll say is no.

I graduated from McMaster and they classified "Communications and Media" as well as "Art History" as a Humanities course, but check with your university. Also if you're just shy of one credit would you consider doing one online? I know Athabasca was recommended to me as a means of boosting my statistics mark as it just meets the requirement for another program I am applying to. As well, I noticed you were looking into applying to U of T which I think has the same requirements as far as social science and research methods credits as Laurier.

Hi everyone!

I am currently in my BSW program in Waterloo...loving it so far!  

My question about the whole MSW is whether I should work for a few years or go directly into a MSW program?  I would probably consider applying at Laurier (only because it's local), York, and Ryerson.  Those are the schools that I am most interested in, based on what I've read and heard about them.  I have a lot of experience working with youth and also refugees and immigrants.  I am interested in other aspects of Social Work too (also International Social Work). Those are the areas that I am most interested in at this time.

I hear that York gives out a lot of funding for their programs.  I've also heard a lot of good words about Ryerson!  Laurier is good too, but more of a clinical approach and much less diverse.  What are people's opinions on the MSW?  Is it good to have work experience before beginning it, or better to go straight from the BSW to the MSW?  

Hi everyone!

I am currently in my BSW program in Waterloo...loving it so far!

My question about the whole MSW is whether I should work for a few years or go directly into a MSW program? I would probably consider applying at Laurier (only because it's local), York, and Ryerson. Those are the schools that I am most interested in, based on what I've read and heard about them. I have a lot of experience working with youth and also refugees and immigrants. I am interested in other aspects of Social Work too (also International Social Work). Those are the areas that I am most interested in at this time.

I hear that York gives out a lot of funding for their programs. I've also heard a lot of good words about Ryerson! Laurier is good too, but more of a clinical approach and much less diverse. What are people's opinions on the MSW? Is it good to have work experience before beginning it, or better to go straight from the BSW to the MSW?