Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

does anyone know what is the median that social workers can make within workin in the field for many years?

Hi soapaddict

I found this website to be helpful. It's a site called WorkBC that profiles industries and jobs in BC -- however, I suspect that the information isn't wildly different from other provinces (like Ontario).

http://www.workbc.ca/Navigator/occupations/4152 

Is anyone else applying to McGill's Qualifying Year MSW program? (the first of their two-year program) Just curious.

I'm applying to: UVic, U of T, York, and McGill (all 2 year).

Question from people who have applied before:
How did you approach the personal statement? I am specifically wondering whether it is appropriate to talk about difficult life experiences that have led me to consider social work as a career (e.g. trauma or mental health). Is this considered unprofessional, or a reasonable and even compelling approach?

Thanks!!

Regarding the personal statement, I've also included a majority of personal details which have encouraged my choice to become a social worker. I included them in my BSW personal statement as well and was accepted. I'm not sure about the MSW either though, if it will be unprofessional, as I've been told recently in the past year NOT to disclose mental health information about myself to others unless they are close confidants. I'm not changing my personal statement though, because there's no other way of explaining why I want to be an RSW. What do you think?

Hmmm...

Regarding the personal statement, I've also included a majority of personal details which have encouraged my choice to become a social worker. I included them in my BSW personal statement as well and was accepted. I'm not sure about the MSW either though, if it will be unprofessional, as I've been told recently in the past year NOT to disclose mental health information about myself to others unless they are close confidants. I'm not changing my personal statement though, because there's no other way of explaining why I want to be an RSW. What do you think?

Hmmm...

Hi LP3

What was the context behind the advice not to disclose your mental health status/experience? I can understand that advice for applying to jobs as there can still be stigma and discrimination (or at the very least, a lack of empathy), but legally an admissions committee couldn't discount you based on your mental health experience.

I guess I'm wondering if sharing this kind of information would strengthen an application.

It's a bit of a long story but it was during an informal assessment of a client for a counselling project. Our focus was on anxiety and I'd disclosed having experiences with anxiety before, therefore I would try to pass on the techniques I'd used. Since I'm young, I figured that relying on that life experience would give me more credibility in that situation. Unfortunately, that level of self-disclosure was frowned upon.

It's a bit of a long story but it was during an informal assessment of a client for a counselling project. Our focus was on anxiety and I'd disclosed having experiences with anxiety before, therefore I would try to pass on the techniques I'd used. Since I'm young, I figured that relying on that life experience would give me more credibility in that situation. Unfortunately, that level of self-disclosure was frowned upon.

Evidence-based practice (basically using a working model that is based on research) is far stronger than anecdotal evidence (which is based on the experiences of one person that may or may not be replicated if used with another person).

I think it also depends on the context. If briefly sharing your experience is done entirely for the benefit of the client, then there are differing opinions on this, some social workers are for and others are against. But when disclosure goes into detail or is done to partially satisfy some sort of conscious or unconscious need of the person sharing the information (ie: validation, empathy, etc), then it generally isn't advisable to share it with clients. 

As for writing an SOP, all books I've read and workshops I've attended run by academic advisers generally advise against sharing health information information (particularly mental illness), as you don't want admissions committees to think you want to do the program as part of your treatment or healing process, you are unprofessional, you will buckle under pressure or struggle if your health takes a turn for the worse, and some may question your ability to deal with clients' emotional trauma if you have your own unresolved issues to sort out.

On the other hand, social work is a little different from most departments and there is probably some leeway in sharing this information (for social work programs only) depending on the way that it's done. Social work is about wanting to help disempowered people become more empowered in their lives, to have equal access to opportunity, etc... So theoretically, social work committees should not discriminate based on your health history. However, I believe that if there is evidence that your current level of mental health may hinder your ability to succeed in the program, that you are still in need of personal healing,or if this information is explained in a way that doesn't highlight your strengths or explain how this experience makes you a stronger candidate, then I wouldn't suggest including it. 

I personally believe the answer depends on the reasons mentioned above and your whole package as an applicant. Go with your strongest arguments as to why you should be admitted. So if having a mental illness is one of the best arguments you've got, consider including it. If you've got lots of professional experience in social services, a research background, took pertinent courses in undergrad, or have other demonstrated abilities, character traits, personal philosophies, etc that show that you are well suited for the profession, then your case might be made stronger by focusing on other points instead.

Edited by jenste

Thank you for the very detailed, and informative answer. I really appreciate your insight about the personal statement as well, you mirrored my thought process about fearing that I'll seem unprofessional or incapable. I still think I will be leaving my story in my personal statement as it's really my only strong point aside from my brief employment and volunteer experience. 

I think the context of a therapeutic relationship or helping relationship - even informal - is totally different than a grad school application. In a helping relationship 'self-disclosure' is an entirely different issue due to the power dynamics at play and the necesssarily "one-way" focus of the relationship. These things aren't relevant for an application, though other concerns may be valid (concerns about professionalism, etc.)

I'm sure this is the approach you've taken, but if you are including this in your statement then I would suggest focussing not just on what experiences you have had, but what you've learned from it and where you are now. Experience with oppression/trauma/personal struggle alone doesn't automatically translate into skills or perspectives that would make you an effective social worker, but it can if you have grown because of it.

Best of luck with your statement :)

I've e-mailed both Laurier and Dal to ask about the experience recommendations upon applying. I've asked Dalhousie if they accept the equivalent of 2 years (say if someone has a few month stretches volunteering at various agencies) and asked Laurier if they even accept anyone straight out of their BSW or undergrad. 

Still awaiting answers on both!

Applying for my MSW feels like buying a very expensive lottery ticket...

I'm currently doing the two year MSW program at Laurier and I know a number of people who were accepted directly from their undergrad, so it is possible :)

Anyone know how many people apply vs. how many people are accepted to the 2 year MSW programs at U of T, York, and UVictoria?

I heard McGill gets ~ 200 apps and accepts 35 to the 'qualifying year'.

Thanks!

From a previous thread for this topic, I found this:

"UofT gets about 600-700 applications for about 125 spots. That means less than 20% of applicants will go to the program. They put 75 more on the wait list.

Wilfrid Laurier accepts 90 out of 400-500 applicants. Again, that's pretty close to 20%. They have a small waitlist as well but I do not believe it exceeds 20 or 25.

I know less about York, Windsor, and Carleton because I never planned on going to any of them. I believe they each accept a class of about 25. I am pretty sure they each typically have between 125 and 250 applicants, but again, not entirely sure."

Another post indicated:

"As well, the HBSW only takes 60 at Orillia and 25 at Thunder Bay. I was accepted into Thunder Bay. Considering they get roughly 500 applicants per year, your chances of getting in are similar to that of the masters. As well, about 3/4 of the people in my program are from Thunder Bay, so I think they really tend to accept a lot of people from Thunder Bay over others. 

UofT gets about 600-700 applications and accepts 150.

Laurier last year (referring to 2013) there were 600 applicants for 90 spots in the 2yr MSW and 120 applicants for 28 spots."

"I heard Mac only accepts 20-25 and has around 85 applicants, and Lakehead Orillia gets around 450 and accepts like 100?"

Hope this helps, unfortunately I was unable to find all the applicants/acceptances for each school.

"As well, the HBSW only takes 60 at Orillia and 25 at Thunder Bay. I was accepted into Thunder Bay. Considering they get roughly 500 applicants per year, your chances of getting in are similar to that of the masters. As well, about 3/4 of the people in my program are from Thunder Bay, so I think they really tend to accept a lot of people from Thunder Bay over others.

You make a good point about Lakehead, However, I would wager that the Lakehead waitlist moves more than most MSW programs as the HBSW is a backup plan for people who also apply to MSW programs. It i also possible that most people who apply to Thunder Bay are from there considering that it is in a remote location and Orillia is a lot closer to other larger cities applicants come from like Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, etc.

If it helps at all, so many people told me that the BSW was hard to get into. There would be stories flying around about people with a lot of experience and perfect grades being rejected. In the end, everyone I knew got accepted :P

Ok..I have what is probably the silliest question..I have completed my application to Waterloo on Quest, and it's ready to be submitted..but where is the submit button!? Do I actually send this somewhere from quest or do I just leave it here completed and they view it from my student center as is? Anyone!? Thanks in advance !

Anyone know how many people apply vs. how many people are accepted to the 2 year MSW programs at U of T, York, and UVictoria?

I heard McGill gets ~ 200 apps and accepts 35 to the 'qualifying year'.

Thanks!

York has 20 spots for 750 applicants.

U of T has 120 spots for 800 applicants. 

I heard UofC only accepts applicants with 2 years of social services work.

That being said, the U of C website includes a list of the types of experience that will count towards "hours". The list is much more flexible than other universities, from what I have seen. For example, U of C will count being a camp counsellor towards your hours of experience.

http://fsw.ucalgary.ca/calgary/prospective-students/master-social-work-msw/how-apply

Click Step 7

"Examples of relevant social service experience:

• Group home/residential worker
  • Crisis line volunteer
  • Camp counsellor with children and youth
  • Teacher’s assistant
  • Hospital volunteer
  • Research assistant in human services research
  • Overseas social development experience
  • Child welfare worker (protection, guardianship, policy analyst)
  • Counsellor in a non profit agency
  • Case manager in hospital and/or health and/or mental health setting
  • Social planning in a municipal setting
  • Teacher

Please note that this is not anexhaustive list. Applicants can make a case for special considerations of particular life, volunteer, or work experience if they can indicate connections to social work."

Any thoughts from students who may be on the fence about doing their MSW right away?

It's likely that I won't get in due to my lack of experience (and many professors have noted how difficult it is being accepted right out of school) but I'm wrestling with a feeling of failure if I don't. My only back-up plan is to work, volunteer, and spend some time upgrading courses as a post-grad student. The break might be a great thing to gain more experience, but I don't know how to explain to my friends and family who believe that grad school should come directly after your undergrad finishes. 

Can anyone share their thoughts about not being accepted? How did you feel, and how did you spend your time?

Any thoughts from students who may be on the fence about doing their MSW right away?

It's likely that I won't get in due to my lack of experience (and many professors have noted how difficult it is being accepted right out of school) but I'm wrestling with a feeling of failure if I don't. My only back-up plan is to work, volunteer, and spend some time upgrading courses as a post-grad student. The break might be a great thing to gain more experience, but I don't know how to explain to my friends and family who believe that grad school should come directly after your undergrad finishes. 

Can anyone share their thoughts about not being accepted? How did you feel, and how did you spend your time?

Hi LP3

This is my first time applying to grad school, but I've taken several years off since finishing my undergrad.

I've been working, volunteering, clarifying my life direction/goals. My work experience (mental health field) directly impacted my decision and my confidence that social work is the right thing for me. Plus, I've been saving money for grad school.

It's easy for me to say, but I'd encourage you to focus on what you value and what you want. It's your life. You're the one who will be doing all the work (readings, papers, practicum) during grad school - so, to end up in a Master's program without i) really wanting to be there, and ii) really wanting to be in grad school NOW (instead of waiting)... you're selling yourself short. I've really valued my time working. I was not the best student in terms of self-discipline and time management, and I can honestly say I've been able to develop those skills by working full-time. I think I'll be able to approach my studies with much more professionalism and discipline this time around.

Besides, I think almost all of my profs have strongly recommended taking time off before grad school. Unless you're doing something like clinical psych where you have 7 years of school ahead of you, so taking a break prolongs it, then I've almost exclusively been told that time off/time working is advisable. If you've only ever been a student, you lack the real-life context to understand the things you're learning -- for any program.

In terms of explaining it to family and friends, I think that once you really find peace in your decision and are confident you're doing the right thing for yourself, then it might be a bit easier. You can try saying, I've decided that waiting a year is the right choice for me. Or... I've decided to get more experience, I've decided to save more money to avoid student loans, etc.

Easier said than done. Good luck :)

I applied and did not get accepted last year. I'm still pretty disappointed, but on the other hand, I had a lot of problems with focus and anxiety my last year of undergrad (though a lot of that was because of grad school applications) and it's nice not to have the pressure and homework that goes along with that. I'm reapplying this year, even though I'm not 100% sure how up to it I will be by September, but if I get accepted, I can make a decision then.

In terms of how I have been spending my time since hearing, I had to finish up a summer internship for my undergrad, I've been working on a couple papers in hopes of getting them published, and mostly looking for work in the field while doing a little bit of freelance tutoring and PSW work. I did just get a job as a relief counsellor at a group home for young parents and their babies, but I do have to tell you, getting a job in the field right now is hard, even if you have a professional degree like a BSW or Child and Youth Care (what I have). 

Grad school is a ton of work, and if you're in it for you, then I'm certain you can do it! If you're in it for family and friends though and you don't feel like you want to do it now, it's going to feel insurmountable. There are some fields where you really do need to do your masters right after undergrad if you want any hope at all of getting a job, but this isn't one of them. Yes, it's hard to find a job in the field right now, but I don't imagine it will really be that much easier as a new grad with an MSW than as a new grad with an undergrad degree, it just changes the specific jobs you can apply for. 

I would say that if you can afford it, apply. But also make sure you spend some time this year networking for potential employment, because that's really the way to get employed in this field. I have spent MONTHS putting in job applications and I would up getting this relief position because I mentioned I had finally convocated and was unemployed on facebook and my supervisor from a summer job a few years ago messaged me to tell me she was hiring relief workers and did I want to work for her again. This way, your options are open for if you don't get in or if you do get in but decide it's not the right time for you.

Wow- Thank you both for the supportive responses. I'm glad to hear that it's not the end of the world. Lightning, I too have problems with anxiety, as I had mentioned in previous posts. All relating to school stress. Did you find it beneficial to have that break? 

I really appreciate hearing from others who have gone through something similar. To be honest, some days I question whether or not I am "ready" for the responsibility of my MSW, as I will be 23 if I do it immediately. I would like to be able to do it and get it over with, but I'm starting to see the benefits of stepping back and allowing myself to gain some professionalism in the field, even if it's a very, very entry-level position. 

Hi everyone!

I am excited to finally participate in this online forum; I've practically read the entire msw 2014 and msw 2013 threads.

I will be graduating in April with my BSW combined women's studies honours degree from the University of Windsor.

I am applying to the University of Windsor for their MSW program as well as the distance education MSW at Waterloo.

Best of luck to us all!! 

:)