Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Thank you for the advice about York :) I had heard that they offer some great funding packages for their program. 

I am still going to hold off on applying. Even if I were to get a tuition compensation or scholarship, I couldn't afford to move to Toronto for the year and manage transportation and housing costs. 

So, I was staring at my opened OUAC application this morning and decided to finish it up and submit it anyways. I know I must sound like a crazy person for being so indecisive! But it's submitted! I will drop off the hard copies of my application materials sometime this week at the School of Social Work, and then hopefully not think about it too much until admission letters start being sent out. It feels like a shot in the dirt, but at least I will have experience knowing how to apply and what the wait feels like. 

Hi everyone.  I'm wondering if anyone has insight (first or second hand) on Carleton and/or Manitoba's MSW programs.  I'd love to know more about things like their class numbers, acceptance rates, financial support, general support from faculty, reputation in the field/with employers, etc.  Thanks and best of luck with your applications!

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has insight (first or second hand) on Carleton and/or Manitoba's MSW programs. I'd love to know more about things like their class numbers, acceptance rates, financial support, general support from faculty, reputation in the field/with employers, etc. Thanks and best of luck with your applications!

I can't answer most of your questions, but just wanted to advise that I'm in BSW online thru university of manitoba and they have been fantastic both in profs and support during my time with them :) I have had nothing but good experiences with the school in my experience. Good luck!

I'm so glad that I have come across this forum! I now have fellow people to freak out with  :P

Anyways, I had a quick question about personal statements. I am working on my McGill Qualifying Year personal statement and having a bit of trouble. The question is:

"In 2 pages maximum (single-spaced, typed, 12pt font, excluding reference pages), identify and analyze a social problem of interest to you that captures the essence of your vision for your graduate level studies in Social Work at this time. Your chosen social problem should be located in one of the following areas of study:  Children & Families, Health & Social Care, OR International & Community Development.

Demonstrate your appreciation of the current and relevant state of knowledge (empirical and theoretical scholarship) that surrounds your particular social problem of interest (1 ½ to 1 ¾ single spaced pages)What have you learned from your past, professional and/or personal, that has contributed to your interest in this social problem and how do these insights facilitate and impede your understanding of this problem? (¼ single spaced page)"

I am wondering, for anyone who previously applied to McGill or if not, can give me some outside insight (as I think there is a similar question in the Laurier personal statement even)…are we expected to focus on a general social problem such as "children's mental health" for example? Or something specific like "children's access to mental health services" or "the link between involvement in child welfare and children's mental health"?. I'm a little bit confused.

If anyone can provide any insights it would be greatly appreciated  :) 

Hi everyone. I'm doing my applications right now and I'm freaking out a bit. Does anyone have advice/encouragement?

I graduated in April 2013 with a bachelor of applied science from Guelph, major adult development, minor child and family studies. My average is alright. If you just calculate 300/400 level, it's a-, but I took two 200 level courses in my last year which brought me down to a b+. I have applied to the 2 year program at u of t and Laurier, and the qualifying program at McGill.

My experience

- one year working as a classroom assistant in a special needs school, 9 hours a week

- 2 summers full time working as a case work assistant at CAS, doing everything from mentoring young people at risk of coming into care, assisting SWs writing reports, coordinating the summer camp program for vulnerable children in the area, supervising contact visits, basically anything they needed someone to do. I also did a lot of shadowing (investigations, counselling sessions) but I'm not sure if that counts for anything

- 3 semesters of coordinating a program at my university for crown ward students, both supportin crown wards already attending and encouraging crown wards in high school to attend post secondary (10 hours a week)

- I have now been working in London, England for 8 months at a Central London social services child protection department. My job title is social work assistant, I work front line/intake, risk assess all new referrals, provide information and advice to parents, liaise with other professionals, as well as parents and young people, to create safety plans. I think this is probably my strongest experience as I don't think I would be able to have this much responsibility as an unqualified worker in Ontario. I'm also hoping that working in a hugely diverse inner city department in another country will work in my favour but I am not sure.

- I also have 2 semesters of practicum placements, first was 12 hours a week at a program fostering the relationship between vulnerable families and schools, and second was 16 hours a week working in a food bank/ poverty outreach center. Again I'm not sure if these count as they were practicum placements.

I I'm so stressed about finishing my personal statements. And I'm also wondering if I should apply for the hbsw at lakehead? I feel bad asking my references to write me a fourth one. I feel like I'm not going to be able to sleep properly until April. I don't have a good feeling about my applications.

Can anyone offer any advice or words of calm/encouragement? It's been helpful reading through the posts here!

Hi Bettyg,

It seems like you have a lot of experience! I think you have really great chances to get in. I would just say to make sure that your CV is as detailed as possible since I know UofT does not have a limit. 

As per the process, you're not alone. I'm equally freaking out, and it seems like I just can't get my personal statement right regardless of how many times I look it. We're all in this together. With that said, I think you have a great chance - your experience will speak for itself. As per your average, that's a super great average! 

If you want to chat, have support, or just talk about this stressful process don't hesitate to message me :) 

Hi everyone. I'm doing my applications right now and I'm freaking out a bit. Does anyone have advice/encouragement?

I graduated in April 2013 with a bachelor of applied science from Guelph, major adult development, minor child and family studies. My average is alright. If you just calculate 300/400 level, it's a-, but I took two 200 level courses in my last year which brought me down to a b+. I have applied to the 2 year program at u of t and Laurier, and the qualifying program at McGill.

My experience
- one year working as a classroom assistant in a special needs school, 9 hours a week

- 2 summers full time working as a case work assistant at CAS, doing everything from mentoring young people at risk of coming into care, assisting SWs writing reports, coordinating the summer camp program for vulnerable children in the area, supervising contact visits, basically anything they needed someone to do. I also did a lot of shadowing (investigations, counselling sessions) but I'm not sure if that counts for anything

- 3 semesters of coordinating a program at my university for crown ward students, both supportin crown wards already attending and encouraging crown wards in high school to attend post secondary (10 hours a week)

- I have now been working in London, England for 8 months at a Central London social services child protection department. My job title is social work assistant, I work front line/intake, risk assess all new referrals, provide information and advice to parents, liaise with other professionals, as well as parents and young people, to create safety plans. I think this is probably my strongest experience as I don't think I would be able to have this much responsibility as an unqualified worker in Ontario. I'm also hoping that working in a hugely diverse inner city department in another country will work in my favour but I am not sure.

- I also have 2 semesters of practicum placements, first was 12 hours a week at a program fostering the relationship between vulnerable families and schools, and second was 16 hours a week working in a food bank/ poverty outreach center. Again I'm not sure if these count as they were practicum placements.

I I'm so stressed about finishing my personal statements. And I'm also wondering if I should apply for the hbsw at lakehead? I feel bad asking my references to write me a fourth one. I feel like I'm not going to be able to sleep properly until April. I don't have a good feeling about my applications.

Can anyone offer any advice or words of calm/encouragement? It's been helpful reading through the posts here!

My experience

Hey there, 

to go off of what purplegrey has said, you have amazing experience! I would be super confident going in with that experience and your grades are great. I can't think of a reason why you would not be accepted as long as you really emphasize all these great positions in your statements. 

Practicum placements still count they just fall under the category of un-paid work kind of like volunteering. When I didn't get accepted last year someone (who was a previous student at UofT for the MSW) told me to go as far back as adding high-school co-op positions in my application, in other words, every hour of experience helps. 

Personal statements are the bane of my existence at this point so I totally feel your stress. I keep telling everyone that every time I re-read it I still don't feel like it is ever good enough. It is incredibly hard to relax and be confident in your application knowing that so much rides on these statements, but we are all in the same boat! 

I think you are a shoe-in with all this super direct social work experience! You clearly have a dedication for the profession and I agree with what you mentioned about emphasizing work with diverse populations.

I've had discussions with a girl who did her PhD on volunteerism and she spoke to the admissions committees of many MSW programs as part of the research, they all want people who have experience working with diverse populations as well as children with disabilities. 

Hope this helps and best of luck writing the statements :) 

Hi Bettyg,

It seems like you have a lot of experience! I think you have really great chances to get in. I would just say to make sure that your CV is as detailed as possible since I know UofT does not have a limit. 

As per the process, you're not alone. I'm equally freaking out, and it seems like I just can't get my personal statement right regardless of how many times I look it. We're all in this together. With that said, I think you have a great chance - your experience will speak for itself. As per your average, that's a super great average! 

If you want to chat, have support, or just talk about this stressful process don't hesitate to message me :)

Thank you :) I know none of us can predict who is going to get in but at least I know there are other people out there stressing with me! I am taking my laptop to a cafe tomorrow and working on my statements all day. Hopefully by the end of it I will feel  better. 

Hey there, 

to go off of what purplegrey has said, you have amazing experience! I would be super confident going in with that experience and your grades are great. I can't think of a reason why you would not be accepted as long as you really emphasize all these great positions in your statements. 

Practicum placements still count they just fall under the category of un-paid work kind of like volunteering. When I didn't get accepted last year someone (who was a previous student at UofT for the MSW) told me to go as far back as adding high-school co-op positions in my application, in other words, every hour of experience helps. 

Personal statements are the bane of my existence at this point so I totally feel your stress. I keep telling everyone that every time I re-read it I still don't feel like it is ever good enough. It is incredibly hard to relax and be confident in your application knowing that so much rides on these statements, but we are all in the same boat! 

I think you are a shoe-in with all this super direct social work experience! You clearly have a dedication for the profession and I agree with what you mentioned about emphasizing work with diverse populations.

I've had discussions with a girl who did her PhD on volunteerism and she spoke to the admissions committees of many MSW programs as part of the research, they all want people who have experience working with diverse populations as well as children with disabilities. 

Hope this helps and best of luck writing the statements :)

Thank you! I was actually wondering about the CV and how far to go back with it. And I was also wondering if I should include jobs that aren't really relevant. For example, for about 6 months after graduation I was working as a receptionist in an office. Not at all related to social work. Do they want us to include things like that? 

Thank you! I was actually wondering about the CV and how far to go back with it. And I was also wondering if I should include jobs that aren't really relevant. For example, for about 6 months after graduation I was working as a receptionist in an office. Not at all related to social work. Do they want us to include things like that? 

I included pretty much everything because if you dig deep enough, it all helps in some way. For example, as a receptionist you would need organizational skills, people skills and stuff like that and those are things that are all great qualities in a future social worker if you think about it. Sure you might have work that is more relevant but you have no page limit (for UofT not sure about other schools) so it can't hurt to put it down. 

Has anyone else found themselves in an awkward/stressful situation where their referees have given you their word about the application, but have stopped responding to e-mails? My application is showing up on the LORIS application site for Laurier, and I see all 3 references are "not started-pending" and expiring in 2 weeks! What happens if my referees forget or simply don't do it in time for the deadline?

Hey LP3,

Yeah I had that issue with references before, I try to e-mail them to expect the form as soon as I apply, then I email a reminder a few weeks later and if they are not replying I call them to make sure they are still able to be my reference. I would call the references to remind them, I don't know what happens if they don't do it in time though. 

Good luck!

Some schools will offer some leeway regarding references because there is only so much you can do to ensure that the letters arrive on time. You will need to ask each school about their policy on this. U of T should offer at least a 2 week buffer -  I know they did in the past.

If your schools don't have an automatic email reminder that could be sent out to your references, the school may be willing to send one out on your behalf if you explain the situation to them. Give your schools a call and see if they have any recommendations for you. 

Once you meet your first deadline, you will have a better sense of the timeline your references work on, so the next deadline should be less stressful for you. Good luck on your apps!!

Edited by jenste

Hey everyone!

So I officially submitted my UofT and Carleton applications this afternoon. I'm freaking out, I can't believe they are in. Now, may the wanting begin. I think I've looked at the status of my applications 10 times already. There is noway I'm going to make it until April! Does anyone have any insight on when Carleton sends their decisions for the 2 year programs? Ahhhhh! Anyone else freaking out? 

Edited by purplegrey

I am stressing so badly right now.  I am applying for the advanced standing at Laurier and the due date is TOMORROW.  I have not finished my personal statement yet.  2 weeks ago I had to go to where my family lives because my dad had a heart attack and we weren't sure if he was going to make it.  He had heart surgery early last week and thankfully is home now but I just got home on the weekend and my brain is all scattered!  Obviously I was not in the mindset to be working on it.  So I basically have a couple of hours tomorrow (bc my brain shuts down this late at night) and have to drive to hand it in (I only live 15 minutes away) by 3pm-ish.  Nothing like cutting it close!  I am seriously considering just reworking my personal statement from last year (I applied and was waitlisted) but I know that is probably not a good idea.  I don't know if I am going to get this done in time :(

Smpalsh,

It sounds like you have been under a lot of stress lately, and understandably so. Remember to take some deep breaths and exhale. You received one great offer and were put on the waitlist last year. You are a strong candidate. This has not changed since last year. Tweaking it sounds like a great idea. Since you did well with this version in the past, tweaking is probably all that it needs.

Good luck!

Smpalsh, 

I agree with jenste, I think by tweaking it a bit it will definitely make a difference and make it that much stronger. I've seen your post and you certainly are a very strong candidate. As said previously, take some deep breaths and write away, you'll see that your personal statement will come out great. I believe in you :) Keep us updated. 

You got this! 

Hi smpalesh
Just want to echo what jenste and purplegrey have said - you got this! You were waitlisted for a very competitive program last year. You are still the same person, with the same qualifications, experiences, and grades that got you into that position last year. Except you're also a year wiser and more experienced with the application process. Tweak and update your personal statement to whatever extent you are able to this time, and submit it by the deadline. Everything will unfold as it should :)
Good luck!

I am stressing so badly right now.  I am applying for the advanced standing at Laurier and the due date is TOMORROW.  I have not finished my personal statement yet.  2 weeks ago I had to go to where my family lives because my dad had a heart attack and we weren't sure if he was going to make it.  He had heart surgery early last week and thankfully is home now but I just got home on the weekend and my brain is all scattered!  Obviously I was not in the mindset to be working on it.  So I basically have a couple of hours tomorrow (bc my brain shuts down this late at night) and have to drive to hand it in (I only live 15 minutes away) by 3pm-ish.  Nothing like cutting it close!  I am seriously considering just reworking my personal statement from last year (I applied and was waitlisted) but I know that is probably not a good idea.  I don't know if I am going to get this done in time :(

Hi everyone
I am considering applying to Lakehead 1-year BSW program (Orillia campus) and I"m wondering if anyone on here is currently doing this program, or knows much about it? My hope would be to live in Orillia for the in-class portion (July - December) and then land a placement in Toronto, and live there Jan - June. This program would be my backup. The workload sounds very intense so I am wondering about that (8:30 - 4:30 every day in the summer). The bonus seems to be that after finishing the program, you are eligible to register as an RSW.

Thoughts? Anyone know more about the program, faculty, Orillia..? Thanks!

Dear lord reading this thread has been intimidating.

I'm a women/gender studies and anthropology major at U of T applying to the York U and U of T 2-year MSW programs. My cumulative GPA is a 3.26 (just shy of a B+), but I scraped together a 4.0 last year (4th year, part 1) and feel confident I can keep it up for my remaining credits this year (4th year, part 2). 

Experience-wise, I have (in no particular order):

--a semester of co-op TA'ing in grade 11, including students with special needs (not paid)

--500+ hours of child care (paid)

--Between 200-300 hours as a crisis line counselor and trainer with a rape crisis center (not paid)

--the head office of a major retailer consulted with me RE: books on "LGBTQIA" (their acronym, not mine) people with which to stock their stores (paid)

--i wrote a three-part series on a very specific topic within sexual violence research which was published by a respectable online magazine and shared by a major feminist news source (not paid)

--about 50 hours of equity consulting work with a student publication at McMaster (not paid)

--about 50 hours as a peer sex educator at u of t (not paid)

--Co-hosted/moderated a panel last year at a prominent conference organized by a non-profit organization (not paid)

--Spoke on a panel AND gave my own talk at the same prominent conference the next year (paid)

--I'm also including a work-in-progress thing where i'll have some sort of blurb on an anti-sexual violence education project i'm working on.

Honestly, what are my chances?

Rox - I don't know about York but I know that UofT does not place as much weight on experience in regards to hours.  I also know they do place a good deal of weight on the written statement.  When I applied last year I had an A- average and about 2500 hours of experience.  I made sure to write a really good written statement and focused on tying my interests with areas that the program covers.  I was accepted (have deferred to next fall due to health issues) so it is possible to get accepted without years of experience. Oh, all of my experience was volunteer and my BSW practicum, I have no paid experience.