Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

most MSW programs wants a B average from what I've seen. What percentage counts as a B? would you be rejected if your average was a B-

soapaddict - Yes, you can be rejected to grad school if your grades are too low, that's just the way it is.  There has to be standards for graduate level work.  If your average was on the cusp you may still have a chance if you have lots of experience but it will depend on the school.  Some schools will automatically reject applications with a low GPA as a first round of weeding through applications.

@Soapaddict, as smpalesh has indicated there is a minimum grade requirement and grad schools typically do not accept students who do not meet the minimum requirements unless they have proof of extenuating circumstances in addition to having considerable professional, volunteer and work experience. Universities have these standards as a means of ensuring their applicants and prospective students will be able to successfully handle the work load. From what I have read on these forums in previous years, successful applicants tend to have a B+ average or higher in addition to strong personal, work or volunteer experience. Sorry if this is discouraging! However, this was my experience in my final year of undergrad when I applied to Guelph's CFT program, which looked only at students' last 2 years of school completed (at the time that would have been my 2nd and 3rd year grades). I am glad to have had a break between school and given myself the opportunity to gain new experiences as I think they have really helped to develop a more focused interest and goal.

As for your question regarding what constitutes a "B average," you will have to look at the university's department website for this information. It tends to be 75% I believe.

Lastly, Aboriginal community work is in demand in some provinces more than others but I have learned it is extremely important that you pick your area of social work based on your interest rather than what is "in demand." I do not mean to sound as though I am criticizing your interest in this population, but I have a friend who is pursuing a masters in public health and currently working with this population out west and it is tough work that requires a lot of patience, cultural sensitivity and a significant understanding of their history, background and politics. So, just be sure to do your research on specific issues affecting the population you are interested in working with :)

I have another friend who just graduated from Laurier's MSW program and in their written statement they were upfront in saying that while they were unsure as to what population they wanted to work with or what type of social work they wanted to do. Given their personal and related work experience they felt that they had the necessary skills that just required the guidance of the university. So, yes it is important to show the universities your interest but also understand they are a good judge of character and also want students who want to learn just as much as the students with a specific focus.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask a general question about written statements. York's is a little less structured than U of T's (since they have a question format) and I'm having some difficulty including everything in 500 words, but also developing a "hook" in the intro. I've seen many different examples of letters of intent - some advise you compose a story, make it interesting; others are more to the point, since you have to "wow" the committee in 500 words.

Does anyone have any advice on this? lol I've probably written and rewritten my introduction for my York application too many times and now am lost.

Hang in there everyone!

I would personally go with straight to the point if you're worried about the word limit and maybe write up 2 or 3 different intros then have someone else read them to get an unbiased opinion. I've had 4 or 5 different people read my statement of interests haha If you have a professor that wouldn't mind reading over the statement of interest, that might be beneficial as well.

I emailed admissions and was told that the average GPA for those who were admitted into U of T's 2-year MSW in 2014 was a high B+ to A-.

I wonder how many people with B+'s are actually admitted. I'm going in with a high B+, and I'm trying not to feel discouraged about it. 

I emailed admissions and was told that the average GPA for those who were admitted into U of T's 2-year MSW in 2014 was a high B+ to A-.

I wonder how many people with B+'s are actually admitted. I'm going in with a high B+, and I'm trying not to feel discouraged about it.

Don't feel discouraged as they consider so much more than GPA! That's good they they actually gave you an answer on that..I asked waterloo the same question and they told me due to confidentiality they couldn't tell me the average ..:(

Jennbe - It totally depends on the school and also on whether you are applying for the 2 year or the advanced standing (already have BSW).  I know for the advanced standing Laurier notifies in the last 2 weeks of February and UofT notifies the first couple weeks of March.  Last year I heard from Laurier that I was on the waitlist on February 23 and I heard I was accepted to UofT on March 5.  For the 2 year programs for those schools they are usually sometime in April.  Other schools may have different timeframes.  One thing I do know about Laurier is that this past cycle they notified the accepted people by email, then the rejected people got letters by snail mail, and it was a day after those letters came that I heard about being waitlisted.  For UofT it was done by snail mail and if you are accepted you get a thick packet.

Anyone applying to Laurier Advanced Standing?  The December 1st deadline is coming fast and I am officially procrastinating on writing my written statement.  For family reasons (I have a special needs son who has been doing well) I would really rather be in my hometown instead of commuting to UofT so I am really hoping I get into Laurier.  I am concerned that my resume will be the nail in my coffin because it shows I graduated from my BSW at the end of June and I have done NOTHING since then.  Well, nothing that a university cares about.  I haven't worked and deferred going to UofT so my resume ends in June and now it's November.  So I am concerned that that will ruin my chances.   Only good thing is l only had an 83% average last year when I applied and I was only a couple of months into my placement for my BSW.  Now I have an 87% average and I have a 10 month placement under my belt (I also have 5 years as a crisis line volunteer).  I was waitlisted last year so here's hoping!

This board is way slower than last year!  Come on people, obsess with me! LOL

Jennbe - It totally depends on the school and also on whether you are applying for the 2 year or the advanced standing (already have BSW). I know for the advanced standing Laurier notifies in the last 2 weeks of February and UofT notifies the first couple weeks of March. Last year I heard from Laurier that I was on the waitlist on February 23 and I heard I was accepted to UofT on March 5. For the 2 year programs for those schools they are usually sometime in April. Other schools may have different timeframes. One thing I do know about Laurier is that this past cycle they notified the accepted people by email, then the rejected people got letters by snail mail, and it was a day after those letters came that I heard about being waitlisted. For UofT it was done by snail mail and if you are accepted you get a thick packet.

Thanks! I actually only applied to waterloo Msw! I debated on Dalhousie too but decided the health based program of waterloo would best suit me. I have 3 kids under 4yrs and work full time so I need the distance Ed program! I'm just finishing my BSW and so far have a 3.8 GPA thru distance Ed at manitoba and will have my last placement done by dec, but one lil course has to go till April lol so technically I'm not done till that one is finished! I'm worried that I had to apply without technically havin my BSW yet but I'll have it before the program starts for sure and have 8 yrs full time work as a child protection worker (which I fear also may hurt me as it's not health based which is where I want to end up). So I'm hoping waterloo is fast enough with replies so I can plan my life accordingly! If I don't get in im thinking of taking some certificate courses thru U of T. :)

It's so hard to not think about all the negatives of ur application isn't it? Maybe it's a good thing the thread is quiet maybe nobody is applying this yr and we will all get in to our schools of choice! ;) wishful thinking...

Anyone applying to Laurier Advanced Standing?  The December 1st deadline is coming fast and I am officially procrastinating on writing my written statement.  For family reasons (I have a special needs son who has been doing well) I would really rather be in my hometown instead of commuting to UofT so I am really hoping I get into Laurier.  I am concerned that my resume will be the nail in my coffin because it shows I graduated from my BSW at the end of June and I have done NOTHING since then.  Well, nothing that a university cares about.  I haven't worked and deferred going to UofT so my resume ends in June and now it's November.  So I am concerned that that will ruin my chances.   Only good thing is l only had an 83% average last year when I applied and I was only a couple of months into my placement for my BSW.  Now I have an 87% average and I have a 10 month placement under my belt (I also have 5 years as a crisis line volunteer).  I was waitlisted last year so here's hoping!

This board is way slower than last year!  Come on people, obsess with me! LOL

Smpalesh, I think I check this board everyday and nothing changes! So I totally agree with obsessing! I'm applying to the 2yr MSW at UofT, Carleton, and Laurier. I'm soooo nervous! My overall GPA is only a 3.1 but last years GPA is a 3.76, so since most of the schools only look at your full last academic year, I hope that works in my favour. But, I'm also scared that they will peak at the rest of my transcript and not take me into consideration. Procrastinating? That's all I'm doing. I've written my personal statement for UofT, but I probably change it everyday. I can't seem to get it perfect. I'm also not even close to starting the other ones. If you want to edit/switch personal statements let me know :) Were applying to different programs, so it might be helpful. 

I'm also finding the CV quite difficult to write, so many ways to say the same thing!  

Nonetheless, I think you have very good explanations why you haven't "been involved" since June, and I think they will take that into consideration. 

I'm definitely glad you post on here. It's nice to hear the perspective of someone who's gone through the process. I'm freaking out about UofT, I want it sooooo badly but yet it seems so scary. 

Hi Everyone, 

I have a question about York University (for the 2 year program). I spoke to one of my referees last week who told me that the school wrote in the e-mail she received that she only has 2 weeks to fill out my reference. I can't find this information anywhere (aside from the application saying check in with referees after 2 or 3 weeks). 

I'm freaking out a bit because that would make it due this Thursday and I can't get in contact with my academic reference. Ugh... I hate depending on other people for these things : /

Does anyone know if this is true I can't remember from last year because my references all filled it out within days last time

Hi Everyone, 

I have a question about York University (for the 2 year program). I spoke to one of my referees last week who told me that the school wrote in the e-mail she received that she only has 2 weeks to fill out my reference. I can't find this information anywhere (aside from the application saying check in with referees after 2 or 3 weeks). 

I'm freaking out a bit because that would make it due this Thursday and I can't get in contact with my academic reference. Ugh... I hate depending on other people for these things : /

Does anyone know if this is true I can't remember from last year because my references all filled it out within days last time

I suggest just getting in touch directly with York. Call them today to ask - much better than depending on second hand information!!

Good luck!

Thanks, York is very difficult to get in touch with sometimes I have been trying for the past few days however the reference responded and said she will get it done so that's a relief! :) 

I have another question though I'm still kind of on the fence for applying to Windsor, does anyone know how their practicums work? On the website I am seeing placements throughout Toronto in York Region, so would that mean you are living in Windsor but travelling 4 days a week to Toronto placements (if that's what you get)?

I have another question though I'm still kind of on the fence for applying to Windsor, does anyone know how their practicums work? On the website I am seeing placements throughout Toronto in York Region, so would that mean you are living in Windsor but travelling 4 days a week to Toronto placements (if that's what you get)?

That is likely for the MSW for working professional program out of U Windsor as they're based out of either Windsor, Mississauga, and Oshawa. I highly doubt you would have to drive to toronto 4 times a week it's unreasonable to ask.

Hi everyone!

I have come to the decision that I won't be applying this year. I feel like I do need that year (or two) off to get a handle on my student loans. They will be approximately 32000 by the end of this year. I didn't consider how hard it is to study with this kind of debt looming over your head, especially in a professional program where I can't work as often as I need to to live comfortably. 

My plan is to work and volunteer and then apply for Laurier's p/t advanced standing for 2016. :)

Does anyone have experience with keeping in touch with professors/practicum instructors from their undergrad to approach later for references? I will be contacting mine this week and letting them know about my decision. 

I will continue to follow this forum to cheer everyone on! I find I get connected to everyone's stories and get just as excited to see who gets in. 

Hi LP3,

I hear you about wanting to lower your debt. It can have a way of accumulating quickly and takes a lot of time to pay off. In case you did not know, I wanted to share that York has a great program for people not wanting to accumulate a lot of debt. Everyone I have heard of who was accepted into their MSW program received a TA offer ($5,000 per semester) and some got a scholarship as well. The tuition fees are also lower than Laurier's, so you may wish to add that school to your list.

Hi everyone!

I have come to the decision that I won't be applying this year. I feel like I do need that year (or two) off to get a handle on my student loans. They will be approximately 32000 by the end of this year. I didn't consider how hard it is to study with this kind of debt looming over your head, especially in a professional program where I can't work as often as I need to to live comfortably. 

My plan is to work and volunteer and then apply for Laurier's p/t advanced standing for 2016. :)

Anyone know someone who got into MSW at waterloo with no social work experience in the healthcare industry!?(as its a health focused program) Give me some hope ppl!

If you can demonstrate proven interest in working in the healthcare industry (ie: research projects related to healthcare, advocacy for health-related issues, etc) or illustrate clear links between your qualifications/experience and the health care industry when you put together your application then you're on the right track. If you say you are interested in it without having any solid evidence to back up your statements, then it will be a harder sell to the admissions committee.

Alternately, if your current work could be enhanced by gaining knowledge or skill in healthcare or if you have noticed a problem or gap in the system you have taken an interest in that has compelled you to pursue health care, then you can write about this as well. Again, link it to facts (ex: research, work experience, etc) wherever and whenever you can. 

Good luck!

Edited by jenste

If you can demonstrate proven interest in working in the healthcare industry (ie: research projects related to healthcare, advocacy for health-related issues, etc) or illustrate clear links between your qualifications/experience and the health care industry when you put together your application then you're on the right track. If you say you are interested in it without having any solid evidence to back up your statements, then it will be a harder sell to the admissions committee.

Alternately, if your current work could be enhanced by gaining knowledge or skill in healthcare or if you have noticed a problem or gap in the system you have taken an interest in that has compelled you to pursue health care, then you can write about this as well. Again, link it to facts (ex: research, work experience, etc) wherever and whenever you can.

Good luck!

I have completed my application and since I've been in child welfare almost 8 years, I am hoping the mental health and addictions aspect of the work I do will contribute somewhat as health experience..as well I spoke about my main social issue being mental health of aboriginals which I'm passionate about...I just dont have any hospital/health care experience or projects whatsoever...but I mean..mental health is a huge part of social workers positions in the health industry so maybe they will consider that as experience? sigh...I'm not Gona lie I'm a little bit worried...if I don't get in I will have to seriously contemplate leaving my job and trying to get another one in health care and reapply next year I guess (the issue being with my current job hours I could do the Msw program in a much more manageable way).

Thank you for your input! Fingers crossed!

Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this board! I've been reading all of your posts ever since I got rejected from York's 2 year MSW last year. I am reapplying to a few schools this year but I'm also applyig to the BSW program at orillia/thunderbay this time in case I don't get into the 2 year program again (thanks to smpalesh for suggesting it on this board :) ) even though they have limited space as well.

My goal for this year was to find paid employment in the social service field because I thought since I already have a social service worker diploma, an honours psychology degree as well as years of volunteer and internship experiences, it shouldn't be impossible for me to find work in the field. This way my resume might stand out more for grad school. Unfortunately, just like grad schools, every where I was trying to apply to required 3-5 years of paid work experience in those specific positions and I was only applying for entry-level !! So I do agree with one of the posters here who mentioned the challenges of finding work in this field when you don't have much experience or connections, even if you have a BSW. On a positive note, I did get 3 phone calls for direct care worker positions recently so there is still some hope that my resume isn't too bad. I'm also going to start looking for volunteer work again to boost up my resume because I've kinda lost hope in finding paid work. I give props to those of you who continued volunteering for several years to boost up your resume, I shouldn't have taken a break from volunteering.

The disappointing part was when I asked the HR managers "how would a recent graduate go about finding experience in ____(specific position)" they responded with "that's something you would be discussing with a career counsellor." In fact, I HAD discussed that with a couple of career counselors as soon as job hunting became too stressful. They told me that you need connections to get into the field of social work because it's a challenging field to get into if you just search online.

P.S. Someone had asked how much social workers make after years of experience. You can make up to 100K a year if you work for 10 years. It's a great field if you're really passionate but it's definitely a challenging field to get into.

Edited by Heif1

I have completed my application and since I've been in child welfare almost 8 years, I am hoping the mental health and addictions aspect of the work I do will contribute somewhat as health experience..as well I spoke about my main social issue being mental health of aboriginals which I'm passionate about...I just dont have any hospital/health care experience or projects whatsoever...but I mean..mental health is a huge part of social workers positions in the health industry so maybe they will consider that as experience? sigh...I'm not Gona lie I'm a little bit worried...if I don't get in I will have to seriously contemplate leaving my job and trying to get another one in health care and reapply next year I guess (the issue being with my current job hours I could do the Msw program in a much more manageable way).

Thank you for your input! Fingers crossed!

Hi Jennbe,

May I ask, how did you get into child welfare and addictions services? The places I called were looking for a few years of experience working with those specific clients.

Hi Jennbe,

May I ask, how did you get into child welfare and addictions services? The places I called were looking for a few years of experience working with those specific clients.

Hey! I know normally you are to have a BSW to be in child welfare but there are still some places that asked for a BA with related experience and at the time, the agency allowed the after hours emergency workers to be hired with a BA and I had experience workin in a shelter with abused women and children. I was hired the month before I actually graduated with BA and now have been grandfathered in now that they require BSW- ( I always planned on Gettin the BSW tho so will be super happy to get that in a few months!)so I actually got kinda lucky that they had a spot in that position and I had some experience at the shelter. A lot of ppl that work in child welfare that I know started at a shelter to gain the experience first so that's always an option :) I like the job but I just don't see it happening long term and I'm not getting any younger (I'm 30) so starting at tht bottom somewhere else will be hard but I'd rather be in the health sector :) Edited by Jennbe

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have experience with keeping in touch with professors/practicum instructors from their undergrad to approach later for references? I will be contacting mine this week and letting them know about my decision. 

I will continue to follow this forum to cheer everyone on! I find I get connected to everyone's stories and get just as excited to see who gets in. 

Hi there!

Just to go off what jenste mentioned, York does provide great financial support, if money is an issue it is really worth checking it out and I've heard nothing but great things about the professors supporting students during school and after graduation.

As far as keeping in contact with professors I found it useful to send a reminder e-mail the summer prior to applying along the lines of "Hope your summer is going well, as I prepare for my application I just wanted to make sure you would still consider being my reference, I'll send more details closer to the date in the Fall" (obviously a little more embellished than this lol)

I also found that going in person during the professor's office hours was useful because it kind of jogged their memory and put a face to a name. My professor allowed me to send her an e-mail with all the things she could highlight about me in her reference letter so that was really awesome and I think in part because I went to see her in person.

Hope everything works out:)