Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hey everyone! This is my first time applying to the 2 year MSW program at U of T. I've seen it briefly stated on here, but had further questions about the written statement. Do you think it's appropriate to focus your written statement on personal experience? Say for example if you were from a vulnerable or marginalized community? Without trying to go into much detail, I noticed U of T highlights its diversity and its focus for making changes to these communities and people. I do have a lot of paid employment (whether or not it directly relates to social work) working with a community, and some volunteer hours (mostly geared toward children and education) over the summers. I’d like to believe I am confident in my written statement, but noticed it was mostly personal experience. I am not sure if that would hurt or help?

Good luck to everyone applying! :)

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the windsor statement of interest question about why you're picking a specific specialty and identifying problems within this particular area.  A lot to say in under 400 words  :P For me, I would really like to look into more mental health related health issues. Should my response be more narrowed on what I would like to research? Or just like broader health issues in general?

"Explain why you have chosen your area of interest (i.e. child welfare, health, gerontology).  Discuss your current understanding of social problems in that area.  (Maximum: 400 words)"

Good luck to everyone!!

Wow- Thank you both for the supportive responses. I'm glad to hear that it's not the end of the world. Lightning, I too have problems with anxiety, as I had mentioned in previous posts. All relating to school stress. Did you find it beneficial to have that break? 

I really appreciate hearing from others who have gone through something similar. To be honest, some days I question whether or not I am "ready" for the responsibility of my MSW, as I will be 23 if I do it immediately. I would like to be able to do it and get it over with, but I'm starting to see the benefits of stepping back and allowing myself to gain some professionalism in the field, even if it's a very, very entry-level position. 

I think in general, it has been very beneficial for me to have the break. That being said, job searching has been super super stressful so that is causing stress and anxiety, so we will see what the break does for my anxiety once I find a job and can ACTUALLY relax a bit, haha.

In terms of being ready to bear the responsibility- you won't feel ready until you're out there doing the work. You might feel a little bit more ready if you work for a bit before your MSW, but realistically, the work you can do with an MSW IS different from the work you can do with a BSW and I feel like most people probably feel just as unprepared as a new MSW grad. If you feel like it's professionalism you're lacking due to lack of experience in the work force in general, then it might be beneficial to work for a bit first. 

Really, I think it depends on what your long-term goals are. It's a really personal decision, and if you know exactly where you want to go and an MSW is what you need to get there, then go for it. If you're still not sure where you want to go with your career, then you need to think about whether working in the field or continuing your education immediately is what will help you explore that.

Thank you!

Long term, I will need to go for my MSW. I also don't want to be trapped under the glass ceiling. I feel like I will have more freedom and more options with my MSW, it's just a matter of when I do it. That being said, I am still going to try for Laurier's Advanced Standing. I am excited to be a part of the waiting game after creeping this forum all year!

I also believe that some programs do require another quantitative and qualitative research course. Dalhousie's online MSW in particular has a "Research X" and "Research Y" course, but they were unclear about the nature of the courses, other than being research.

I have looked into Windsor but I'm not interested in the MSWwp format- you have class every Friday night and Saturday, and it's very fast paced yet takes 3 years to complete with normal-priced tuition per semester. It's a pretty expensive program from what I saw. 

The full-time advanced standing MSW appeals to me at Windsor as well, but theirs starts in May and continues on for a year, so if you're applying right out of the BSW at Waterloo, the programs are impossible to do right after another as they overlap. I'm considering applying to Windsor for the following year if I don't get accepted elsewhere. 

I'm actually in the MSWwp program right now - the advanced standing program is 16 months not 3 years - September to July is course based (and it's every other fri/sat, sometimes two weekends in a row - 6 weeks for each course), and September to December is a 5 day/wk practicum.  Across 4 terms (the tuition is prorated), you're looking at about $13000 total.  Very intensive, the program is structured for those working full time, so life for me right now is pretty demanding (and exhausting!)

Good luck with your applications!

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the windsor statement of interest question about why you're picking a specific specialty and identifying problems within this particular area.  A lot to say in under 400 words  :P For me, I would really like to look into more mental health related health issues. Should my response be more narrowed on what I would like to research? Or just like broader health issues in general?

"Explain why you have chosen your area of interest (i.e. child welfare, health, gerontology).  Discuss your current understanding of social problems in that area.  (Maximum: 400 words)"

Good luck to everyone!!

The question is asking why you chose your area of interest and then you have to discuss a specific social problem related to that area of interest.  When I applied to Windsor I answered this same question.  Think of it as a mini essay.  I started by a broad understanding my role as a social worker working in the field of mental health and some of the issues this population faces. Then I chose a specific problem (in my case it was the stigmatization of drug users), explained the implications for policy and practice, tying it back to my role of a social worker.  Hope that helps, feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Hey everyone! This is my first time applying to the 2 year MSW program at U of T. I've seen it briefly stated on here, but had further questions about the written statement. Do you think it's appropriate to focus your written statement on personal experience? Say for example if you were from a vulnerable or marginalized community? Without trying to go into much detail, I noticed U of T highlights its diversity and its focus for making changes to these communities and people. I do have a lot of paid employment (whether or not it directly relates to social work) working with a community, and some volunteer hours (mostly geared toward children and education) over the summers. I’d like to believe I am confident in my written statement, but noticed it was mostly personal experience. I am not sure if that would hurt or help?

Good luck to everyone applying! :)

Hello! This is also my first time applying to U of T's 2 Year MSW program as well, so keep in mind that my suggestions are just based on my own thoughts and advice I have been given. I think it is important to give equal opportunity to talk about personal, work and volunteer experiences in the statement of interest as well as linking it to your educational background and/or your knowledge of social work. For myself, I used the 5 questions to tell a story. It sounds strange but I felt I was able to pick a few specific instances from each category (personal, work, volunteer) and consistently discuss them while elaborating on their relevance to social work or my interest in pursuing social work without being repetitive. One example, I had discussed some specific early life events that motivated an interest in a advocacy volunteer position with an organization that was concerned with the welfare of youth and issues affecting this population. 

Any time I struggled with a question or hit a mental road block I stopped and would ask myself a few different questions: 

"what is the significance of this experience to social work"

"how does it relate to other relevant social work experiences"

"what unique perspective and/or skill did this experience provide me with that is useful for social workers"

One piece of advice I was given was to make mention of the positions/experiences from those individuals you plan to ask for a reference letter. It might be more challenging or not as significant for the academic reference, but it does make sense to mention what you have learned from the people who will be providing you with a reference letter. Especially, if you're choosing these references based on their ability to perceive and speak to your potential suitability for the program/field of social work. I would also encourage not worrying about what your experiences might lack in terms of "direct social work experience" and really focus on what these opportunities have equipped you with - this is one of the many great things about social work, not all experiences are the same and each has its own purpose :)

Hope this helps!

wnsk86 - I talked about my personal situation in a number of areas.  If all you wrote was personal experience that would likely not be a good thing because they are wanting to know your suitability for the profession, but I wrote about being a student with a disability as well as my difficulties raising a child with special needs and how those areas have directly influenced my desire to go into the field of social work.  I spent a long time on my written statement, making sure it said exactly what I intended for it to say, and I did end up getting in (I've deferred until next fall).

soapaddict - every MSW program I know does require a research course.  I know for sure UofT does, as well as Laurier.  Depending on your stream at UofT you might be required to take more than one (for example, the Social Justice and Diversity Stream has the basic research course and then a research course specific to social justice).

blh22 - Another thing that I did was to look through the list of professors and see if there were any who had specific interest in my main area of interest.  My specialization is Social Justice and Diversity and my specific area of interest is sexual assault and domestic violence in immigrant and refugee communities.  When I looked through the professors I found one who had listed interest in both those areas so I made sure to mention how excited I was to have the opportunity to study under professor X as our areas of interest mesh well (I worded it more intelligently than that!).  Just a little tip to show you're doing your research and focusing specifically on their program. 

The absolute worst thing is to just tweak your personal statements for each school.  Write an entire new one for each school you are applying to or it will show that you are not completely focused on that specific school.

@smplalesh thanks for writing that, while I have already submitted my application for U of T it is a boost of confidence as that is the format I followed for the questions. However, I mentioned 2 professors on my online admissions application form rather than the written statements since I have discussed with them the potential for a different combination of specializations that would require an additional practicum. I was hesitant to just speak out to a select few professors in my written statements as I am open to the research interests of several professors. As well, knowing that some will be on academic leave or attending to their own research I did not want to limit any other potential opportunities. All in all I think we went about our written statements similarly by looking into the program and professors to ensure our own goals would be a good fit for the program as well as presenting a current issue of interest relevant to social work. 

With regards to the other statements of interest, I had originally thought I would be able to copy, paste and cut out some bits from my U of T application for Laurier given the similarities between the questions... haha oh, that proved me wrong! Hence why I am still struggling to write so much of what I want to say in to so few words. Plus you are definitely right about tailoring each application specifically to each school/program.

Best of luck to you with your remaining applications. I hope the new year brings good health to you so you can pursue your studies, which you seem to be working very hard to achieve :)

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to confirm that resumes and written statements, like the references, are not due until December 15th for the 2 year MSW @ U of T?

I know a bunch of people who submitted and I want to clarify that they are doing it early, and I am not late.

Thanks!!!

@wishingonuoft you are correct regarding the due date for U of T's final application.

November 3, 2014* SGS Online Application; Application Fee; Official Academic Transcripts

December 1, 2014 Final Date to submit SGS Online Application; Application Fee; Official Academic Transcripts

December 15, 2014 All supporting documentation. This includes the following:

1. MSW Program Application Form
  2. Resume
  3. Field Practicum Experience (if applicable)
  4. Written Statement
  5. Three References
  6. MSW Application Checklist
  7. Electronic Transcripts

Note: items 1-6 can be submitted electronically.

http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/how-to-apply/msw/application-deadlines/

Edited by blh22

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask a general question about written statements. York's is a little less structured than U of T's (since they have a question format) and I'm having some difficulty including everything in 500 words, but also developing a "hook" in the intro. I've seen many different examples of letters of intent - some advise you compose a story, make it interesting; others are more to the point, since you have to "wow" the committee in 500 words.

Does anyone have any advice on this? lol I've probably written and rewritten my introduction for my York application too many times and now am lost.

Hang in there everyone!

soapaddict - Yes, you can be rejected to grad school if your grades are too low, that's just the way it is.  There has to be standards for graduate level work.  If your average was on the cusp you may still have a chance if you have lots of experience but it will depend on the school.  Some schools will automatically reject applications with a low GPA as a first round of weeding through applications.

I am trying to finish my Laurier application and I am having trouble getting an academic reference because I've been out of school since spring.  The first professor I asked said yes but said she can't get it in before Dec 1 so that is useless.  This was a lot easier last year when I was still in school and could just ask a current professor.  I have two professional references so I just need the academic and the deadline is 25 days away!

Edited by smpalesh

also, does anyone know if working with the aboriginal community in social work is in demand?

Soapaddict-yes in my opinion, culturally sensitive/aware social workers are always needed in this area, whether it be child welfare or mental health etc there are many needs for workers who are properly trained to work with this population. Not sure where you live but I live near a few reserves (bruce county- owen sound area) and see lots of job postings for people to work with aboriginal population. Good luck!

Edited by Jennbe