Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hello,

I did take the SSW at George Brown (fast tracked 1 year as I have a B.A Psychology degree). I found the program very good for me, as it helped me become more passionate about social work and consolidated my decision for this career. It provided good intro and a practical component (eg. Advanced Counselling Practice class). Although, it is a year (5 weeks in May and Sept-April), the choice is yours.

If you thinking of applying later to post-degree with it (ex: 10 month Waterloo BSW or the one year HBSW at Lakehead) then some credits will count. In the case of Waterloo I'm getting 3 prerequisites for it and the Lakehead I read somewhere that you can have credit exemption for some classes. 

It is good to hear from someone who took the program. Thank you for your input!!

I have decided to apply to Laurier as well this year, I wasn't going to originally after hearing how much experience they like etc. but YOU NEVER KNOW! haha 

I will be in Waterloo this weekend so I will be able to bring my package to the Faculty. Also, for any other Laurier graduates you do not need to mail in your transcript, which is nice. Also, Laurier allows your references to be submitted up to two weeks after the January 15th deadline, in case anyone else is wondering. I am probably the only slow poke here! haha 

Anyways, best of luck to everyone!!!

:)

Everything is submitted and I feel a HUGE weight off my shoulders! Except for one thing...

I mailed my application to both Windsor and Laurier before the holidays. Through Canada Post tracking I see that they have been delivered and signed for. However, when I check my U Windsor account it still says my application is incomplete/waiting on documents, and I haven't received an e-mail from Laurier stating they have my application (I could be wrong, but I was under the impression they send an e-mail). Should I be worried if the status hasn't changed or if I haven't received a confirmation e-mail by next week? I know this is a busy time for the admissions offices, but I obviously want to make sure everything is received by the deadline. 

Everything is submitted and I feel a HUGE weight off my shoulders! Except for one thing...

I mailed my application to both Windsor and Laurier before the holidays. Through Canada Post tracking I see that they have been delivered and signed for. However, when I check my U Windsor account it still says my application is incomplete/waiting on documents, and I haven't received an e-mail from Laurier stating they have my application (I could be wrong, but I was under the impression they send an e-mail). Should I be worried if the status hasn't changed or if I haven't received a confirmation e-mail by next week? I know this is a busy time for the admissions offices, but I obviously want to make sure everything is received by the deadline. 

Hi AENMSW,

Laurier won't send you an e-mail confirmation until AFTER the deadline of January 15.

Cheers,

Hi AENMSW,

Laurier won't send you an e-mail confirmation until AFTER the deadline of January 15.

Cheers,

Thanks! Do you think Windsor might be the same with their status? 

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT LAURIER MEANS BY"

1. a completed signed copy of the Submission Summary Form (printed at the end of the online application by you, in pdf);

When I go onto LORIS all I see is an 'application summary' or if I click on masters of social work it shows my references. Where do I find this Submission Summary form???!!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT LAURIER MEANS BY"

1. a completed signed copy of the Submission Summary Form (printed at the end of the online application by you, in pdf);

When I go onto LORIS all I see is an 'application summary' or if I click on masters of social work it shows my references. Where do I find this Submission Summary form???!!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Rachelmsw,

The Submission Summary Form is what popped up when you submitted your application and paid your fees. You were supposed to save / print that to include with your application. I am not sure if you still have access to it. I don't mean to alarm you, but you may need to contact the admissions office ASAP to get a copy.

I hope you find it! 

Has anyone here resubmitted their transcript to include Fall 2014 marks to U of T's 2 year MSW? I'm considering submitting mine but would like to know how it's done/how we can confirm it's been received! 

Hey there, I did this last year while I was in my final year of undergrad. I just went to the online registrar and sent a new transcript the same way I did with my original mailed transcript. 

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about the Laurier application. For many of my volunteering positions, the service/organization is non-hierarchical so I don't have anyone as a "supervisor". In that case, on the form that we must fill out regarding the breakdown of our hours what should I write? "N/A" or "non-hierarchical" or "student run" or leave it blank? I've been trying to call Laurier but no one is answering :(. Please help!

soapaddict - there is a huge difference between a social service worker and a social worker.  A social service worker has 2-3 years of college and can not call themselves a social worker.  There are many jobs that they will not be qualified for.  A social worker has a minimum 4 years of university, more if they go to graduate level studies, which many do.  They can legally call themselves a social worker and they register through regulatory bodies to become a registered social worker.  The job options are much wider.  A registered social worker can also go into private practice as a therapist/counsellor.

rachelmsw - It is best to not look at the questions as 3 separate questions but rather to blend them together into one essay.  Yes, I did find it hard to fit everything I wanted to say in that short of space but they are very strict with the word count.  It actually shows them something about the applicants ability to handle graduate level studies as being able to be succinct while writing essays is an important skill.

I made the request through the school I was with at the time (UWaterloo) and marked that I wanted it sent to the Admission office of Factor Inwentash School of Social Work.  An email copy of the transcript is asked for when applying but they also want an official copy as well.  So for me they got two official copies.

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about the Laurier application. For many of my volunteering positions, the service/organization is non-hierarchical so I don't have anyone as a "supervisor". In that case, on the form that we must fill out regarding the breakdown of our hours what should I write? "N/A" or "non-hierarchical" or "student run" or leave it blank? I've been trying to call Laurier but no one is answering :(. Please help!

Try sending an email. At Laurier, most staff rarely answer the telephone when it rings.

Edited by jenste

wishingonuoft - That's right, I only sent the physical copy, not an emailed copy.  I emailed the admissions person (Angela Umbrello) to confirm they had received it about 10 days later.  Good luck with your application!

Hello everyone and best of wishes to those who applied to MSW 2015!

I'm a new user on the forums :) and I did read all of the 2014 one.

Jennbe,

I was wondering the same thing. I have all my documents submitted too and just waiting if anything changes. Have you figured it out?

Hey! From what I've read on their application process, once all your documents have "completed" with the little green check mark beside them-then there's nothing further to do..no "submit" button or anything as far as I have found! I was a lil worried about this but I did find some information stating once it was all uploaded that you are done the process...good luck!!

Hi!

I also applied to the 2-year MSW program at U of C - International and Community Development specialization. It is also the only one I applied to (rooted here and already work online, so I didn't want to study online, too).  I was torn between the Clinical and ICD specializations, but decided to opt for ICD because of my teaching background.

Good luck to you!  Do you have any idea as to when we'll hear some news on application status? 

I can see how a teaching background would compliment that specialization, so probably a good choice! I chose the clinical specialization because my experience has exclusively been with families and individuals in a therapeutic capacity.

I checked the website and I couldn't find anything saying when we would hear back... The Edmonton site says that all applicants will hear back by March 30th at the latest, but I don't think this timeline necessarily applies to the Calgary location. Good luck to you too, and hopefully the wait isn't too long!

Another question- Does anyone know how competitive this program is and what qualities UofC values more in their applicants? I vaguely remember reading that they only accept 10 people into each specialization, but I could have dreamed that up! 

Edited by Aslwin

does anyone know anything about York university's post degree social work program? how hard is it to get in?

All I heard is that it is very competitive to get into it (eg: ~A- average in the last 10 courses or something). We had a representative (at George Brown) come and do a presentation on how to apply to it. 

Edited by swrk