Edit my email to professor?

Hi!
I'm drafting an email to a prof and I'd love a second opinion.

He's the director of graduate studies at my top choice program. I was waitlisted at the school last year, so I came to the admitted students day and met with him. We've conversed and emailed, and he was very encouraging last year ("I hope a spot opens on the waitlist!" etc). His work and classes are related to my topic of interest--19th American lit. 

So now I'm emailing just to indicate that I'm still *very* interested in the program. Also, I now live only a short distance from his school... should I mention that I'd be happy to come to his office for a chat? 

I'm also trying to ask for his advice on getting in, without putting pressure on him.

If you wouldn't mind helping me, PM me please? 

Thanks!

I'd avoid trying to suggest you want to meet with him. Seeing that you've already met once and discussed your application, it comes off as too desperate. That said, still express an interest in the program by all means.

As per individual advice on how to best your application, most programs refuse to do this as a matter of policy. Who gets accepted and who doesn't is already a subjective issue and it seems like you're looking for quantifiable advice. It's also just an issue of them often being too busy to comb through an applicant and say "Do X, Y, and Z for a spot." It's also unfair to other applicants.The fact that he said "I hope a spot opens up" speaks to him being unwilling to offer personal advice catered to your situation. Your best bet is to hope that your application has improved and that they have room for someone to study 19th C. American Lit.

Yep, I agree with Xypathos. Right now you are in a favorable light with the DGS. You don't want to do something that could inadvertently put you in an unfavorable light. There's a fine line between good-natured enthusiasm and obsequiousness, and you definitely want to make sure your toes are on the right side. It can't hurt to email him to briefly remind him of your existence (i.e.: Dear Professor X, I just wanted to touch base with you to let you know that thanks in part to your support last year, I will be reapplying to the program), but keep it brief and reasonably professional, and try not to impose any expectations or make any requests (i.e.: do not ask him to flag your application -- if he remembers you, he'll probably do so anyhow).

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! Tricky to know what's appropriate, since I've had actual real life conversations with him. 

...Any ideas for the subject line? Is it just me, or is it rediculously difficult to create a good subject line for an email? :P

Keep in mind, too, that the DGS may or may not have much power in swaying admissions decisions anyhow.

If you live very close to the school now, you might consider taking a class or two as a non-degree seeking student. I've done this in the past with great results. Yes, you have to pay for the classes you take, but you get to network with faculty and show that you are very serious about enrolling in their program. Plus, the credit you earn will transfer into a degree-granting program in many instances, though you'll want to look more into that. Of course, this option is not for everyone, but it is an option.

I think writing to ask how you can improve your application packet this time around is a great idea; I did that after my first round of applications didn't give me the result I was hoping for, and I got some wonderfully helpful advice. It's a normal thing to do, and that's the kind of email the DGS can respond to at leisure, when he has a pocket of free time here or there. You're not demanding much of his time (as a coffee date would, but it keeps you in his consciousness and helps you learn and improve. I second Chadillac's advice, too - if you can swing taking a class as a non-degree seeking student, that will give you a chance to show the faculty how awesome you are. Best of luck!