Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Dang... the benefits of applying to top-tier schools!

The earliest it sounds like I'll hear from anyone is the beginning of February, and even then possibly only informally. 

Wish I had a wider geographic reach ... :/

True. But it's also true that if you don't hear from them by the first week of January, you are very likely to be rejected. 

I suppose I'll know one way or the other fairly early.

Wait, which one if I may ask? 

Woohoo, I'm finally showing complete at Illinois, Ohio State, Penn, and UW. Question about interviews--I'm out of the country. Are schools open to doing them over skype? Also, how common are interview requests?

The earliest I'll hear from my two top choices is early February. THAT'S 59 DAYS AWAY!

...word.

P.s. I have no intention of thread-jacking, but I posted this question in a (relevant) area of the forum that's a little bit dead: 

If anyone has any insights, I'd be much obliged!

Edited by jujubea

Woohoo, I'm finally showing complete at Illinois, Ohio State, Penn, and UW. Question about interviews--I'm out of the country. Are schools open to doing them over skype? Also, how common are interview requests?

The interviews that I know about are all Skype or over a visitation weekend. You'll hardly be the first international student so they should have some process in place. I hope you get many interview requests and get to tell us all about them.

...word.

P.s. I have no intention of thread-jacking, but I posted this question in a (relevant) area of the forum that's a little bit dead: 

If anyone has any insights, I'd be much obliged!

Sorry, I read the other thread but I have no suggestions of my own. Can you ask Poli Sci faculty at your school for suggestions? 

Sorry, I read the other thread but I have no suggestions of my own. Can you ask Poli Sci faculty at your school for suggestions? 

Thanks Autumn - it's a strange situation, strange school, and strange paper, so the couple folks I've asked have been at a loss. Compounding it a bit is that I've been away from the school for almost 4 years. 

Anyone else cycling back and forth between "of course I have a reasonable shot!" and "I'll never get in anywhere!"? 

Oh, I'm so glad it's not just me. I feel like I'm on a self-esteem roller coaster and I haven't even submitted all my apps yet.

This may be too personal but what do you all really think about your chances? Some days I'm fairly confident I'll get an offer somewhere (doesn't help that people keep telling me that) and some days I'm working on backup plans.

Honestly, though, I would be surprised if I was accepted. I think my application is solid but, clearly, the odds are not in my favor. 

Oh, I'm so glad it's not just me. I feel like I'm on a self-esteem roller coaster and I haven't even submitted all my apps yet.

This may be too personal but what do you all really think about your chances? Some days I'm fairly confident I'll get an offer somewhere (doesn't help that people keep telling me that) and some days I'm working on backup plans.

Honestly, though, I would be surprised if I was accepted. I think my application is solid but, clearly, the odds are not in my favor. 

I think part of my frustration is that the process seems so opaque and arbitrary at times. A school can reject people with multiple first author pubs but accept someone with no pubs. But even if your research interests align perfectly, maybe they already have enough people doing work in that area and won't want you.

Overall, I really wish I had started this process earlier, and applied to more places.

Overall, I really wish I had started this process earlier, and applied to more places.

I started last December and I still feel that way. I don't know if there would ever be enough time.

One great thing about the process is that it has really reaffirmed my research interests. I've had my head buried in this subfield for years and I'm more interested and invested now than ever before.  

I'm with you, autumn... I really go back and forth.

And you're right, despite the sweetness of the encouragement, it's really hard to see clearly when everyone around you is telling you there's no way you wouldn't get in.

I want to believe them, and sometimes I do, but then sometimes I realize how clouded and egocentric my vision is, and I start finding/remembering flaws in my application package (that ugly string of B's and W's sophomore year... my one LOR writer who was never really 100% clear about writing a "strong" letter or not... the important point(s) I forgot to mention in the SOP about why the school fits, and not just why I'm awesome... being too straightforward and not "catchy" enough... overstating my real skills and strengths and worrying about coming off like a jerk... forgetting to add this award or that one... and on and on...).  

I am so ready to do graduate school - I am so dang lucky to even be able to apply, and to even be able to toy with the idea of getting to go to school full-time and for once in my life do only that -- to be able to focus wholly on my degree program is like a dream come true... And who am I to think I'd get a TAship over someone else? 

I just did aiiight, on the GRE's.  I have an alright undergrad GPA. 

But, I do have a stellar employment background. And at least two of my letter writers are going to submit drool along with their letters they love me so much. 

And...then... there I go again with the ego.......!

It's like this! It's madness!

Can't it be February already, c'mon, please???

And you're right, despite the sweetness of the encouragement, it's really hard to see clearly when everyone around you is telling you there's no way you wouldn't get in.

I want to believe them, and sometimes I do, but then sometimes I realize how clouded and egocentric my vision is, and I start finding/remembering flaws in my application package 

I'm with you 100%. In addition to falsely inflating my ego, those supportive comments stress me out. What happens when everyone says you're a shoe in and you strike out? Shame, that's what happens. 

Every day, I remind myself of the admission stats (# of applicants, # of offers, % of acceptances, etc.) for my chosen schools in an effort to circumvent my own SOP hype. It's mostly just depressing with a side order of irrepressible hope. 

I am so ready to do graduate school - I am so dang lucky to even be able to apply, and to even be able to toy with the idea of getting to go to school full-time and for once in my life do only that -- to be able to focus wholly on my degree program is like a dream come true... 

I know, right? I honestly do understand all the drawbacks of doctoral programs (I've worked in higher ed for 8 years) but that is one of the most appealing aspects. Managing a master's, 3 jobs, and real life was not easy and I felt, many times, that I could have conducted more research and written better papers had I not been working. To be able to focus on my research and research interests sounds wonderful.

I would also love talking to academics with similar interests. No one in my cohort had the same research interests, my students are just barely beginning to comprehend mediated representations, and my family is sick-to-death of listening to me natter on about articles and theories.  

Lol autumn, what do you mean what happens if everyone says you're a shoo-in and you strike out? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! No one cares! :) It's what you make of it. 

I applied for behavioral marketing PhD programs last year before I finished school. At the time, I didn't really have a feel for the academic scene, nor did I have any real idea what field my interests fit best into. I wrote my SOP thinking my research interests were so great and new. I read faculty profiles loosely based on research interests they mentioned, tossing aside with youthful ignorance the red flag that I didn't quite understand a lot of the work the professors had published but firmly convinced my ideas tied into theirs. Even then, I received positive words from my network, telling me I'd definitely get in somewhere because I, like many here I'm sure, am one of those others seem to think is intelligent (for whatever reason, haha). 

I didn't get in ANYWHERE! But guess what... no one cares! Nothing horrendous happens! Those who support you continue to support you. It was a humbling experience for sure, but it's those kinds of experiences that make you really do some soul searching and keep you down to earth. 

Here I am one year later, taking the year off to work at my alma mater under some prominent faculty, with a far better idea of who I am as a person and what I'm interested in and applying for programs that I know are absolutely better fits for me than the programs I applied to last year were. 

I don't mean to pontificate, I just graduated from school in the spring so what do I know really, and I'm sure this'll all turn out to have been an unnecessary worry; but I just wanted to share what I thought might be a relevant and helpful anecdote :)

Edited by anothergradapplicant

But guess what... no one cares! Nothing horrendous happens! Those who support you continue to support you. It was a humbling experience for sure, but it's those kinds of experiences that make you really do some soul searching and keep you down to earth. 

Here I am one year later, taking the year off to work at my alma mater under some prominent faculty, with a far better idea of who I am as a person and what I'm interested in and applying for programs that I know are absolutely better fits for me than the programs I applied to last year were. 

That's a great point; thank you for sharing that. As jujubea said, there I go again with the ego. Logically, I know that you're right. Nothing happens if you aren't accepted and you can either try again next year or move on. Emotionally, though, that's a little harder to swallow after a year of preparation. 

Thanks for the perspective check, though! 

Anyone else cycling back and forth between "of course I have a reasonable shot!" and "I'll never get in anywhere!"? 

Yup. Between "people are being so encouraging about this program, I think I have a real chance" and "I need to prepare myself for reality and all-but-guaranteed crushing heartache."

People always reported being frustrated with the application status pages and know I know why. UMich is killing me.

Why, has the status changed?

Washington sent an email to applications saying "as you can imagine, the admin committee is busy reviewing applications..." :/

Why, has the status changed?

Washington sent an email to applications saying "as you can imagine, the admin committee is busy reviewing applications..." :/

Yes. It says my application is "not complete" but it lists my transcripts, GRE scores, application, and recommendations as completed before the deadline. I emailed the coordinator about it. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

What? The Washington deadline isn't until the 15th.