Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

That's why I was asking. I found them to be helpful, too... although it's a bit weird that this thread will serve the same function next year.

Ha, yes, gradwannabe -- that's what I meant.

I liked reading how the admissions process played out last year -- just a comment on how obsessive these applications are making me.

Not particularly illuminating -- one person got mostly shut out, another got into most of her top tier schools much to his/her surprise, and one got into a top tier and no others. So anything can happen, I suppose.

one person got mostly shut out, another got into most of her top tier schools much to his/her surprise, and one got into a top tier and no others. So anything can happen, I suppose.

Something we need to remember as we transition into the anxiety of Acceptance Season.

(Also, it always baffles me to see when people didn't get into, say, a ton of state schools and then got in with funding to a top school)

Edited by grad_wannabe

My laptop died yesterday! So I am now computer-less as I work on my last two apps. :/ 

Also, one of my programs could send out interview invites this week! If I thought I was being obsessive before...  

It was due Dec 1. 

And luckily, I keep everything on Dropbox and wrote my SOPs in Google Docs. Back up, everyone! It's going to suck not having my own laptop to edit my writing sample etc on, but I can't imagine what I'd have done if I lost those docs altogether.

Yikes. I don't know if two-week turnaround times impress or concern me. Can they really read upwards of 30 pages per application in that time? 

Are your two remaining apps due today? If so, good luck!

Right, I don't know. Though maybe the invites go out as they read through the apps because some have gone out around the 20th and others around the 30th in the same cycle. 

Two weeks until the other apps are due. Congrats on finishing all of yours! When's the earliest you think you'll hear back? Doesn't Wisconsin Madison send out invites this month too?

According to the results reported on GradCafe, UW Madison should be sending out interview invites by January 9. That's the earliest. I suppose it's better to know earlier.

Hi all! I've been creepin' on this thread for awhile. Trying to figure out if decisions are starting to come in yet. I've had one acceptance so far. But, I'm still waiting on the dream school. Hope everyone's applications/waiting games are going well. I feel like I'm checking my email constantly, and it's not even January yet!

Hi all! I've been creepin' on this thread for awhile. Trying to figure out if decisions are starting to come in yet. I've had one acceptance so far. But, I'm still waiting on the dream school. Hope everyone's applications/waiting games are going well. I feel like I'm checking my email constantly, and it's not even January yet!

Congrats! Hopefully that acceptance will lessen the anxiety of January and February for you. If you don't mind me asking, what was the deadline for the school that accepted you? It seems so early for acceptances!

You guys. 

You GUYS. 

I'm finished. Everything's in.

My heart's still pounding.

Now for the winter of waiting ... 

Aww, congrats! 

Do yourself a favor. Do not look at any of your application materials again. It's too late now anyway :)

That's rough. I think many schools have similar stats, though. Most of mine were in the 4-7% acceptance range. That's why I'm already making plans for applying next year :)

Yeah, same. I know it doesn't make statistical sense, but I feel more hopeful about places that take 10 students rather than 2 even when the acceptance rate is the same. 

Also, Cornell is SUCH a good fit with my research. And both my POIs replied to my emails and sounded interested in my work. Feel like it's giving me false hope. 

Yeah, same. I know it doesn't make statistical sense, but I feel more hopeful about places that take 10 students rather than 2 even when the acceptance rate is the same. 

Also, Cornell is SUCH a good fit with my research. And both my POIs replied to my emails and sounded interested in my work. Feel like it's giving me false hope. 

Stanford had similar stats, from what I'm told. 150 applications, 3 acceptances. It's SUCH a small number!

Stanford had similar stats, from what I'm told. 150 applications, 3 acceptances. It's SUCH a small number!

Same for UC Berkeley -- looks like we have a program in common! Wondering whether it made sense to apply there, given that apparently UC schools aren't great for funding international students.

Ooh did you apply for the iSchool as well??

(not sure about their international funding. I'm originally a California resident so I'm hoping that comes in handy somehow.)

Yes, I applied to the iSchool. I do think it helps to be a resident of the state, or to have the ability to become a resident (international students can't). 

I was also considering the Oxford Internet Institute. Looks like a great program. 

Congrats! Hopefully that acceptance will lessen the anxiety of January and February for you. If you don't mind me asking, what was the deadline for the school that accepted you? It seems so early for acceptances!

Thank you! It was due 12/1 or 12/2 (can't remember exactly). I just wanted to see if others had started hearing back. It'd be a great holiday gift if they all got back to us ASAP! :D

^ This 1000%. Not for Cornell, but I'm in a similar situation. They were wonderfully polite and encouraging; I just hope that translates into actual interest.

Thank you! It was due 12/1 or 12/2 (can't remember exactly). I just wanted to see if others had started hearing back. It'd be a great holiday gift if they all got back to us ASAP! :D

Wow! They must love you! Congrats again! (such a quick response deserves two)

That was me. I spoke to the DGS at NCA (I'm sad I know what that all means). He said they're supposed to report to the university who they want to admit by Jan 30. He was not sure whether or not the early deadline would speed up notification. The admissions rep with him made it sound like the interview weekend would be on the same schedule as always, for what it's worth.