2015 - Social Psych

FinallyAccepted

Well this is my second time applying. And it's my first year off and my mentor from undergrad really did all he could to make me a better candidate and I still fell flat on my face. I think he will be mad at me. Also, this is my second SPSP (and my 13th poster). I just don't know what to do differently. I'm really working non stop on psych stuff and putting all my energy into it and I am still a horrible candidate. :(

13 posters?  That's a lot.  A publication would obviously help, though you may be applying to programs where the research fit isn't that great?  Do you have anyone on the "inside" somewhere?  A friend?  A friend of your advisor? 

Well this is my second time applying. And it's my first year off and my mentor from undergrad really did all he could to make me a better candidate and I still fell flat on my face. I think he will be mad at me. Also, this is my second SPSP (and my 13th poster). I just don't know what to do differently. I'm really working non stop on psych stuff and putting all my energy into it and I am still a horrible candidate. :(

Do you think one of your LORs might be a problem? I know it seems like a silly question....Otherwise, fit....also why not apply to some R2 schools?

Do you think one of your LORs might be a problem? I know it seems like a silly question....Otherwise, fit....also why not apply to some R2 schools?

Didn't think of that...that's actually not a silly question.  One of them may not be writing the strongest letter (while still not a bad one).

13 posters?  That's a lot.  A publication would obviously help, though you may be applying to programs where the research fit isn't that great?  Do you have anyone on the "inside" somewhere?  A friend?  A friend of your advisor? 

I have 1 that was just accepted (when I applied it was under review), and 2 more in prep. 

And yes, at half of the places that I applied, I applied to friends of my mentors. 

Well  I think one of my letters was good but not great. And I only want R1s because I want to become a prof at an R1. 

Didn't think of that...that's actually not a silly question.  One of them may not be writing the strongest letter (while still not a bad one).

Yeah.. I'm thinking that could be the case too.

Why do you think you're a 'horrible candidate' ?

Hate to ask - but are you happy with your scores? What about personal statements? 

I was happy with my apps but the lack of in person interviews is telling. (however, today I heard back from ASU with some good news so at least there's that)

I still think one thing to consider is that you're only applying to very competitive tier 1 research schools - perhaps there's improvement to be had with scores, LORs, or whatever, but I think you should consider applying to a few tier 2 research schools next time.

I'd rather take a number of years off than apply to a tier 2 school... Not to be vain, or anything but to make it in academia, I was told, you need to be at an R1.

I just heard from my POI from ASU today. She scheduled me for a phone interview and an in person meeting at SPSP. She also said that due to funding issues, she doesn't know if she will be taking students for next fall though. While this is all informal, I figured I should share the news in case that it is useful to some. 

I just heard from my POI from ASU today. She scheduled me for a phone interview and an in person meeting at SPSP. She also said that due to funding issues, she doesn't know if she will be taking students for next fall though. While this is all informal, I figured I should share the news in case that it is useful to some. 

Well that's better than nothing!  Worse comes to worse and you have to apply next time, your POI will remember you.

I've got to ask, has anyone heard anything about/from UConn Social? They're actually the only program on my list that hasn't shown up in the results search (those assumed rejections) or made contact with me, plus they're toward the top of my list so I'm extra anxious.

Same here. I've contacted a UConn POI directly about my app status weeks ago and no reply. They must be really busy reviewing and sorting apps. They did extend the social submission deadline from Dec 1 to Dec 15, so... Maybe just behind and playing catch-up?

Same here. I've contacted a UConn POI directly about my app status weeks ago and no reply. They must be really busy reviewing and sorting apps. They did extend the social submission deadline from Dec 1 to Dec 15, so... Maybe just behind and playing catch-up?

Must be - thanks for your reply! From my obsessive searching through threads and results, it looks like they're a little inconsistent on timeline, and don't seem to answer many inquiries so you're not the only one!

Boulder reject email today.

:( I'm sorry.

This created a moment of panic for me. I haven't heard from them so I checked my status and it still says "The admissions committee is reviewing your file."

Womp @ uncertainty.

Edited by mb712

:( I'm sorry.

This created a moment of panic for me. I haven't heard from them so I checked my status and it still says "The admissions committee is reviewing your file."

Womp @ uncertainty.

It looked a bit like a form letter, maybe different POI's are going out at different times.

I saw on the results page that someone got a rejection letter from Oregon. I haven't gotten mine yet (I'd like to get it over with, and just get it already) and my status online still shows as pending (and no, I wasn't invited to the interview so there is no hope to be on a waitlist). Is anyone else in the same boat?

I saw on the results page that someone got a rejection letter from Oregon. I haven't gotten mine yet (I'd like to get it over with, and just get it already) and my status online still shows as pending (and no, I wasn't invited to the interview so there is no hope to be on a waitlist). Is anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in the exact same boat. Maybe there is an unofficial waitlist hiding around there somewhere? Or maybe Oregon is just cruel. For now, I'm going to still consider it to be a rejection. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

I got rejected too this morning!  One more rejection letter for the pile of rejection letters that I'm planning to burn in a nice bonfire by the beach. Or tear into little pieces. Or make a dartboard.  Haven't fully decided yet what I'm going to do with them. (I'm joking)
They may have been a bit behind with sending them-- you know since they needed to send 545 of them.

Edited by coffeeaddict29

I got rejected too this morning!  One more rejection letter for the pile of rejection letters that I'm planning to burn in a nice bonfire by the beach. Or tear into little pieces. Or make a dartboard.  Haven't fully decided yet what I'm going to do with them. (I'm joking)

They may have been a bit behind with sending them-- you know since they needed to send 545 of them.

Did this come in the mail? Neither of us heard a peep on interviews, so I assume mine is on its way. They could also be going alphabetically, which would explain why I haven't heard back yet.

My mind is still melting at the 2% acceptance rate.  :wacko:

Edited by TXInstrument11