2015 - Social Psych

FinallyAccepted

Thanks for the info about UIUC. 

A propos, Winsconsin-Madison are still under review, and I am in the short list before the final cut! The guy answering emails first told me I was rejected, but like 40 mins later he sent me another email explaining I'm still on the list... 

For UIUC, I understand that they have an admission committee meeting, and they pick who they are going to admit right off the bat. They do things differently than most schools-- they admit your first, then they interview you. From what I've heard, they have already sent their admission packages a few weeks ago so we're sorta doomed if we haven't heard by now. Idk when the rejections are coming, but they are coming. Best just to brace for it.

This appears to be true, though I can only speak for the social-personality program in particular. Visiting weekend starts on the 20th.

Hi all,

I'm new here, but have been lurking around the forums for some time :) I finally signed up to ask a question... does anyone know about SUNY Albany's social program? I've been accepted with full funding and a very generous stipend, and my POI is the loveliest person and a perfect research fit. But, a few of my mentors have indicated that it would be better to go into a master's program at Wake Forest (to which I've also been accepted) and try to get into a more prestigious program from there.

Does anyone have any insight?

Hi all,

I'm new here, but have been lurking around the forums for some time :) I finally signed up to ask a question... does anyone know about SUNY Albany's social program? I've been accepted with full funding and a very generous stipend, and my POI is the loveliest person and a perfect research fit. But, a few of my mentors have indicated that it would be better to go into a master's program at Wake Forest (to which I've also been accepted) and try to get into a more prestigious program from there.

For financial reasons, I would never do what your mentors are suggesting. I personally can't afford to pay for a master's, especially while turning down what seems to be a great offer, fully funded. I don't know anything about SUNY Albany - hopefully someone else can comment on that! I trust my advisor quite a lot, but don't always follow his advice 100%.

For financial reasons, I would never do what your mentors are suggesting. I personally can't afford to pay for a master's, especially while turning down what seems to be a great offer, fully funded. I don't know anything about SUNY Albany - hopefully someone else can comment on that! I trust my advisor quite a lot, but don't always follow his advice 100%.

Oops, sorry, forgot to clarify that the MA is fully funded + stipend :) Good point about not following the advice of advisers 100%... but I'm just nervous because mine are eminent researchers and definitely know which unis will not yield good post-doc/job offers. And this is probably not indicative of anything because of the small sample size, but it seems like just about everyone who has posted Albany results on the site has been accepted... hm. Anyway, thanks so much for the two cents :D

Hi all,

My insight - If the fit is perfect, then go for it! If you have any doubts and you (and your mentors) believe that with more experience you can get into a better program that fits just as perfectly, then do that if you can.

There are a number of factors to consider, but I will name a few:

- Money: If you go for a masters in the US, you will need money. If you have it, and don't mind parting with it, then go for the masters (but only do so if you believe it will actually help. This topic is up for debate, and I don't have a strong enough opinion to really provide valuable insight regarding whether getting an MA is worth it, etc.)

- Age: If you are fresh out of college, then I would suggest getting a job and getting some (more) research experience. It helps, and schools like that sort of thing. Out of college, I had an offer for an MA at SUNY Stony Brook, and I turned it down because of the money. I instead got a job as a research assistant, then got into two of the best PhD programs in the country for Social Psych.

I had a third, but I can't seem to remember...

Anyway, Wake Forest (based on my brief google search) seems like a good school (one of the best schools that only offers MAs), but at the end of the day (and I know I have said this a lot, but it is important), do whatever you want as long as you don't regret it.

EDIT: Just saw this:

Oops, sorry, forgot to clarify that the MA is fully funded + stipend :) Good point about not following the advice of advisers 100%... but I'm just nervous because mine are eminent researchers and definitely know which unis will not yield good post-doc/job offers. And this is probably not indicative of anything because of the small sample size, but it seems like just about everyone who has posted Albany results on the site has been accepted... hm. Anyway, thanks so much for the two cents :D

My response:

Wuuuuttt?!?! That is a pretty sweet deal. I think in terms of bettering yourself (excluding the perfect fit factor you mentioned), the MA program seems great! However, you did say SUNY Albany is a perfect fit... hmm...

Okay, I suppose you can think of it this way. Are there any PhD programs that you really want to get into in the top tier? If so, the MA is worth considering. If not and you think you will be happy with the SUNY Albany offer, then go for that.

In terms of some places not yielding good post-docs/job offers, if you do great work, I don't think that will matter. If you are amazing in graduate school, it shouldn't matter where you go. Sure, going to a great school helps, but the school that you go to doesn't completely define you.

Edited by avidman

My insight - If the fit is perfect, then go for it! If you have any doubts and you (and your mentors) believe that with more experience you can get into a better program that fits just as perfectly, then do that if you can.

There are a number of factors to consider, but I will name a few:

- Money: If you go for a masters in the US, you will need money. If you have it, and don't mind parting with it, then go for the masters (but only do so if you believe it will actually help. This topic is up for debate, and I don't have a strong enough opinion to really provide valuable insight regarding whether getting an MA is worth it, etc.)

- Age: If you are fresh out of college, then I would suggest getting a job and getting some (more) research experience. It helps, and schools like that sort of thing. Out of college, I had an offer for an MA at SUNY Stony Brook, and I turned it down because of the money. I instead got a job as a research assistant, then got into two of the best PhD programs in the country for Social Psych.

I had a third, but I can't seem to remember...

Anyway, Wake Forest (based on my brief google search) seems like a good school (one of the best schools that only offers MAs), but at the end of the day (and I know I have said this a lot, but it is important), do whatever you want as long as you don't regret it.

EDIT: Just saw this:

My response:

Wuuuuttt?!?! That is a pretty sweet deal. I think in terms of bettering yourself (excluding the perfect fit factor you mentioned), the MA program seems great! However, you did say SUNY Albany is a perfect fit... hmm...

Okay, I suppose you can think of it this way. Are there any PhD programs that you really want to get into in the top tier? If so, the MA is worth considering. If not and you think you will be happy with the SUNY Albany offer, then go for that.

In terms of some places not yielding good post-docs/job offers, if you do great work, I don't think that will matter. If you are amazing in graduate school, it shouldn't matter where you go. Sure, going to a great school helps, but the school that you go to doesn't completely define you.

Good food for thought! Thanks so much for your input... and I'm so sorry for clogging up the forum with my personal case; just figured that others might find this discussion useful, too!

Wake Forest's MA program is incredible and very generous with funding. It's obviously too late to apply this year, but if anyone is looking at options for next year, it's wonderful.

A little profile to add some perspective: I have 3 years of social psych research experience and will have 2 pubs by the end of this summer. I am fresh out of college (graduated a semester early; Dec 2014), and am currently a research associate at a top-30 school. My GPA is very good, as are my verbal/analytical GRE scores, but my quant score is a hair below the 50th percentile (which, as we know, can result in an app not even making the first cut). I was, strangely enough, considered at a top-5 school, but my POI told me he can't take a student this year. I'm also still waiting on (PhD program) decisions from a few more schools that had later due dates.

So, it's a tough decision! I'm just afraid that programs will become so competitive in a few years that even a master's degree won't override a bad GRE score :/ Would just love to know what people think about Albany's program-- I have nothing against it and am so thankful to have been accepted, but would like to have a little more info :) Thanks, everyone!

Edited by thirdfromthesun

Anyone wanna help me make a decision? 

I was offered admission to a small, but still solid, Masters program with faculty doing research within the realms of my interests. I also was awarded an assistantship that will pay my tuition in full. I'll still end up taking out loans to have money to live on though. I did not get into any PhD programs this time around. 

I also applied to few lab manager positions and research assistant positions, and have not gotten any of those. This is probably due to my lack of experience working in a large scale lab (I have only conducted my own independent studies and honor's thesis projects). I have received some feedback that I should not get my Masters but try to get a job in a lab while trying to get my GRE Q score higher (basically the reason, according to two of my POIs anyway, that I did not get into PhD programs this time around) and reapply. However, at this rate, reapplying next season doesn't seem feasible. I won't be able to start working in a lab until June, if I did get a lab job, so I'd really only have about 5 full months working in a lab by the time applications were due again. 

I am starting to think taking the offer at the Masters program is the best option but I still have the words of a few and some of my own words in my mind about trying to get a lab position and try this again without the Masters. Does it matter if the Masters program isn't a top program? I have heard from some people that unless that Masters has a PhD program too, then going to get a Masters is sometimes useless. But if it's funded, what do I have to lose? Thoughts, feelings, opinions, always welcomed as I try to decipher life. 

Anyone wanna help me make a decision? 

I was offered admission to a small, but still solid, Masters program with faculty doing research within the realms of my interests. I also was awarded an assistantship that will pay my tuition in full. I'll still end up taking out loans to have money to live on though. I did not get into any PhD programs this time around. 

I also applied to few lab manager positions and research assistant positions, and have not gotten any of those. This is probably due to my lack of experience working in a large scale lab (I have only conducted my own independent studies and honor's thesis projects). I have received some feedback that I should not get my Masters but try to get a job in a lab while trying to get my GRE Q score higher (basically the reason, according to two of my POIs anyway, that I did not get into PhD programs this time around) and reapply. However, at this rate, reapplying next season doesn't seem feasible. I won't be able to start working in a lab until June, if I did get a lab job, so I'd really only have about 5 full months working in a lab by the time applications were due again. 

I am starting to think taking the offer at the Masters program is the best option but I still have the words of a few and some of my own words in my mind about trying to get a lab position and try this again without the Masters. Does it matter if the Masters program isn't a top program? I have heard from some people that unless that Masters has a PhD program too, then going to get a Masters is sometimes useless. But if it's funded, what do I have to lose? Thoughts, feelings, opinions, always welcomed as I try to decipher life. 

So, i was in a similar pickle last spring. My two close advisors/mentors both agreed that a masters wasn't the way to go. They said to some POIs/programs, students with masters degrees are somewhat undesirable, such that they may learn skills/habits from other advisors that they do not particularly like and would have to spend extra time and effort to correct it as their graduate student. But that was just their anecdotal opinion--take it for what you will. Since paid lab manager positions are competitively difficult to obtain, they suggested volunteering as a lab manager with a researcher you would potentially like to work with or at least one at your own undergrad department. This would give you invaluable experience for applications, and POIs will be impressed that you're dedicated enough to volunteer to do so. This would be especially valuable to do so with a POI that you want to work with. They could personally see how smart and hardworking you are and you could potentially be a "shoe-in" for admission. Of course, this is risky and financially difficult. To sustain yourself, you could work part-time in retail/food service or even in mental health as a behavioral health aid/tech (given our psych BAs). I decided to be a lab manager for my undergrad mentor (that I RA'ed for) gained so much more great research experience. I also got to know my mentor on a much deeper level and my recommendation letter was subsequently better. I also enrolled into a few grad psych courses (advanced psych stats I & II, multivariate stats, advanced social psych, advanced seminar in social psych theory). This also gave me additional time to study for GREs and up my scores significantly. This combo (additional/advanced research experience, graduate social/stats coursework, and higher GRE scores) made all the difference for my application luck this round. All my POIs were very impressed. I had six on-site interviews, five waitlists, and three acceptances (so far) all from decent (top 50) social psych programs. BUT most other applicants I interviewed against had masters, paid lab manager positions, or came from prestigious undergrad institutions (like ivy league and top 20 public schools), so I was very intimidated and didn't interview that well (hence the higher number of waitlists v. acceptances). So, it really depends on what you want and what you're comfortable with pursuing.

A big congrats to the person who posted for CUNY GC!! Could he or she kindly PM me their POI? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Yes, same here! Thanks so much, and congrats!

Any updates regarding CUNY BASP? Thank you in advance!

I figured I'd mention here how it went when I emailed UConn. Well, not good is the answer. The grad coordinator said they won't tell me anything about my application status until April 1. I mean, obviously I'm not accepted, but it would be nice to at least get a hint. If they could just be a little more transparent I could accept my current offer, be done, and celebrate.

I figured I'd mention here how it went when I emailed UConn. Well, not good is the answer. The grad coordinator said they won't tell me anything about my application status until April 1. I mean, obviously I'm not accepted, but it would be nice to at least get a hint. If they could just be a little more transparent I could accept my current offer, be done, and celebrate.

Hey VZ yeah, I think I mentioned this, but I contacted the UConn POI directly. The POI replied with a very nice and personalized message back informing me of my rejection. I know you probably don't want to make waves, but at this point what could it hurt?

Edited by Mastershaakti

Hey VZ yeah, I think I mentioned this, but I contacted the UConn POI directly. The POI replied with a very nice and personalized message back informing me of my rejection. I know you probably don't want to make waves, but at this point what could it hurt?

Yeah, that's what I should have done! I established contact with one POI there back in summer/fall but he ended up letting me know that he wasn't taking a new student so at the last minute I picked a new professor. But I never established contact with him - did you have prior contact with yours? That's why I didn't choose this method, I didn't want to email a professor out of the blue. But I suppose at this point I do need to know...

Yeah, that's what I should have done! I established contact with one POI there back in summer/fall but he ended up letting me know that he wasn't taking a new student so at the last minute I picked a new professor. But I never established contact with him - did you have prior contact with yours? That's why I didn't choose this method, I didn't want to email a professor out of the blue. But I suppose at this point I do need to know...

I actually didn't since she reported on her website that she was accepting students, but I probably should have to build rapport. But they are mostly nice and reasonable people who know we are anxiously waiting to plan the rest of our lives! Best wishes for the program you select! :)

Edited by Mastershaakti

Guys, I need help...I got accepted into a Master's program that is not offering any funding at all, and is quite expensive. If I don't get into any PhD programs, do you think it's worth it to do the Master's? Does it significantly increase my chances of getting into a PhD program? And will I be able to pay it back? I just worry about job prospects in psych and how to make it all work out...

Also, for anyone who's wondering about SUNY Stony Brook, send me a pm. 

Guys, I need help...I got accepted into a Master's program that is not offering any funding at all, and is quite expensive. If I don't get into any PhD programs, do you think it's worth it to do the Master's? Does it significantly increase my chances of getting into a PhD program? And will I be able to pay it back? I just worry about job prospects in psych and how to make it all work out...

Also, for anyone who's wondering about SUNY Stony Brook, send me a pm. 

First - obviously I don't know you and anything about your application. So this is just my opinion in general.

I honestly think it wouldn't help as much as the cost would hurt. Really. I know a lot of people do the MA thing first to make themselves a better PhD program candidate. But the cost is too much, IMO. Is this your first time applying to PhD programs?

If this is your first round of applications, I would say to wait a year. Try to gain more research experience as an RA or lab manager and build connections. Then apply next round again, and include masters programs again. Go from there.

Some PhD advisors like if you already have your masters - they don't have to teach you as much theory and can focus more on research. Some dislike it when applicants already have their masters - they think you're already trained in thinking in a certain way and will be less flexible. Personally, I think it's better if you can go straight to PhD. Just my opinion.

First - obviously I don't know you and anything about your application. So this is just my opinion in general.

I honestly think it wouldn't help as much as the cost would hurt. Really. I know a lot of people do the MA thing first to make themselves a better PhD program candidate. But the cost is too much, IMO. Is this your first time applying to PhD programs?

If this is your first round of applications, I would say to wait a year. Try to gain more research experience as an RA or lab manager and build connections. Then apply next round again, and include masters programs again. Go from there.

Some PhD advisors like if you already have your masters - they don't have to teach you as much theory and can focus more on research. Some dislike it when applicants already have their masters - they think you're already trained in thinking in a certain way and will be less flexible. Personally, I think it's better if you can go straight to PhD. Just my opinion.

Oh my goodness...thank you SO much for your reply. It is actually my first year applying, yes! I was actually thinking exactly what you suggested, but I didn't know if a Master's meant a significant amount to PhD programs or not. I will definitely apply again next year if the program I am waiting for doesn't work out.