Two letters from the same place of employment: bad idea or no big deal?

MJA87

I'll be applying to MPP (public policy) programs and have secured a LoR from an undergrad professor and the executive director at my current office, but I don't really know who to ask for the third.

I've been at my current office for 3.5 years and could very easily ask my supervisor for a letter, however I'm worried that it might look bad to have two letters from the same office. I haven't kept in contact with my previous employer and honestly wouldn't want a letter from him anyway. My only other alternative would be someone from the leadership course I'm in, but that course only meets once a month for three intensive days, and we'll only have completed the third session by the time I have to ask for a reference. It's a small group that composes our leadership course and we're becoming close with the professors that are putting it on, I just don't know if it would be appropriate to ask after such limited experience with them.

So those are currently my third letter choices: A second letter from my current office, or the chance of getting one from a professor whom I've only worked with for 9 intense days. What do you think?

Sorry for the bump, but I'd like to give whoever I need to ask as much time as possible.

TL;DR: Is it bad to get two letters from the same office (direct supervisor and executive director) if I've worked there for 3.5 years?

I'm no expert on things, but I can give you my opinion for what it's worth (how would you know..!)

In general, from what I've read both on here and on program websites, it's best to first off have academic letters of reference, rather than professional/employment letters. This could be totally different for your specific program though, especially if what you're doing is a terminal master's with an assumption of non-academic employment afterwards.  

Secondly, it would just make me wonder - do you have no other professors or academic folks from your undergrad who would recommend you? If not, why not? (Maybe no big deal, but I might wonder this).

If you're stuck and really have no other choice, you might want to help your two letter writers from the same office not overlap themselves too much - make sure they cover different aspects of why you're awesome ...Wait, you are awesome, aren't you?  :D

I'm no expert on things, but I can give you my opinion for what it's worth (how would you know..!)

In general, from what I've read both on here and on program websites, it's best to first off have academic letters of reference, rather than professional/employment letters. This could be totally different for your specific program though, especially if what you're doing is a terminal master's with an assumption of non-academic employment afterwards.  

Secondly, it would just make me wonder - do you have no other professors or academic folks from your undergrad who would recommend you? If not, why not? (Maybe no big deal, but I might wonder this).

If you're stuck and really have no other choice, you might want to help your two letter writers from the same office not overlap themselves too much - make sure they cover different aspects of why you're awesome ...Wait, you are awesome, aren't you?  :D

Thanks a lot for the input. Yeah, the MPP programs are terminal masters and more professional than academic degrees; in fact one of the universities I'm targeting suggests that someone with my amount of experience ONLY submit professional references, none academic.

The one professor I have writing me a recommendation will be more than enough academic letters for the programs I'm applying to. I just didn't know if it was a big faux pas to have two LoRs from the same office or organization.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to bump this because I didn't get a definitive answer on if it's a mistake to have two LoRs from the same office/organization.

I've been working here in multiple roles for over 3.5 years, it would be a stretch to go to a previous employer and ask.

I think you're going to be fine, based on your last two responses. Sorry, still not definitive, but my two more cents.

For what it's worth, I'm submitting all three letters from the same place - it's my most recent academic experience (I've been working a while), and I'm just helping them not overlap on specifics/examples.

I also worked/studied at this place under multiple roles.  Some programs allow a fourth optional letter, and I may try to get an undergrad ref for those. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two of my reference letters are from the same place of employment. I have been working in the same place for more than 4 years. My undergrad was 8 years before so it didn't make sense for me to ask a professor from undergrad to write the reference letter for me. I do have one academic reference from a professor in my grad school, who was my research/project advisor as well (this was 4.5 years back so it is still within the 5 year time frame). I deliberated over this decision but in the end decided to go with letters from the same place of employment. I sincerely hope its no big deal! 

Edited by sdfltft