SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, encouragement, and information. I will certainly be trying again next year. It seems to be anything but a perfect science, but maybe it's better to suspend disbelief than to try to decode it.

Big congratulations to everyone who's been successful!

To those who haven't, I guess we'll be seeing each other around these parts next Fall. :-)

Thanks to those who answered my question about publications. I'm wrapping up a one year MA in the humanities and it's nice to think that the committee might take that into consideration when reviewing my research contributions (i.e. no peer-reviewed publications other than in undergrad journals). 

Just heard back. Scored 12/20 and got waitlisted. Is there any consensus on where the score cutoff was for funding?

Do they just rank all applications by score and then hand out funding until they run out of money? or is the process more nuanced than that?

Can anyone tell me what the cut off was between A and B? Has anyone been able to figure you that out? We do research for a living, I bet we can make that happen haha.

Ps I'm in Vancouver and I got my letter on Friday. B group. Totally excited for that. I'm currently in a master's program and start my phd in the fall. Nice to know that some people get bumped up too. That would be very cool.

Can anyone tell me what the cut off was between A and B? Has anyone been able to figure you that out? We do research for a living, I bet we can make that happen haha.

Ps I'm in Vancouver and I got my letter on Friday. B group. Totally excited for that. I'm currently in a master's program and start my phd in the fall. Nice to know that some people get bumped up too. That would be very cool.

It is not a static "cut off". While I am sure that there is a distinction between A and B based on score, it is largely dependent upon which adjudication committee received your application. For example, the distinction between A and B in psychology could be 14.5/20 whereas the distinction between A and B in sociology could be 13.4/20. Perhaps it is best to ask others who submitted to philosophy (I assume that is what you submitted to) what there score was and what award they were given. But this definitely shrinks the net of possible responses! 

Any direct applicants from south of the border get their letters yet?

I'm in Philly and I just received my letter this morning.

In response to the qs above, I also have no pubs but some conference presentations; also in my first year of PhD so maybe they do take that into account as someone above suggested.

They offered me the CGS or SSHRC, which was strange since I'm already enrolled in the United States, and then requested I get back to them as to which one I'll be taking by May 15th. Maybe they got confused.

Don't give up!!! I applied last year and was wait listed and then applied this year. My CV didn't change at all from last year to this year (pubs/presentations/GPAs/past awards), except that I was enrolled in a uni when I applied the second time around, and my advisor provided feedback through several rounds of my proposal. The topic didn't change, just the theoretical framing and the research question was tweaked a bit. And with those changes alone, my score went from an 11.2 last year to 15 this year. I'm guessing it's a combination of actually being enrolled, the quality of the proposal and noise. Hope this is helpful for those looking to apply next year.

Finally got my letter.

Doctoral fellowship, B category, 13.4!

I'm in england, so that's the best I could hope for. I'm so hugely relieved... last year didn't even make it past the first round, and due to the short length of PhDs in the UK this was the last year I could apply. Beyond stoked. 

To those who didn't get it first try, as others have said: try and try again. Even statistically, the first year/pre-first year apps have such a low chance of getting it and this increases a bit every year, in addition to more awards/pubs/clearer research plan. 

This forum's been so helpful in tracking where everything's at, I'll be a bit sad to stop obsessively checking this thread!

Received my letter in rural Ontario just outside of Kitchener / Waterloo.

Successful B category with 14.2 / 20! 

I wouldn't hold my breath but you might get bumped to an A during the summer. I know of somebody with barely a few decimals over you with an A (same subcommittee, same field).

If a few (?) people downgrade from A to B to go international that is. 

Edited by Pol

Hi all,

I've been reading your results as they've been coming in over the past few days and wanted to add that I just got my letter today in the Boston area. I received a Category B award with a score of 13.7. My field is performance studies. I'm in the third year of an MA/PhD program and this is my second time applying. Last year I didn't make it past the first cut.

SSHRC has indicated that they will fund me for three years, which would mean until the end of my 6th year. I only asked for two years on my application, as I was under the impression that SSHRC wouldn't fund beyond year five of a combined MA/PhD program. Does anyone know if that's the case? 

I wouldn't hold my breath but you might get bumped to an A during the summer. I know of somebody with barely a few decimals over you with an A (same subcommittee, same field).

If a few (?) people downgrade from A to B to go international that is. 

haha so close! I'll remain hopeful in that case. Thanks for the info.

I guess I will be one of those people who joins only to share their good news. Awarded Category B SSHRC for four years. Score was 13.3. Did not receive an MA SSHRC and did not get to nationals last year as a direct applicant before starting my program. No changes in regard to CV/publications from when denied but I did simplify my program of study.

Hi y'all.

Just received notice here in Colorado. SSHRC Category B for four years, which is all I can ask for (I'm in my first year in US). Score of 13. Had a score of 11.5 year before. Applied 2 times to MA SSHRC and never got it and once to PhD SSHRC before this so don't get discouraged!!!

SSHRC has indicated that they will fund me for three years, which would mean until the end of my 6th year. I only asked for two years on my application, as I was under the impression that SSHRC wouldn't fund beyond year five of a combined MA/PhD program. Does anyone know if that's the case? 

I think they mention somewhere in the guidelines that they subtract 12 months from the calculations in those cases. Meaning they evaluated you as if you were in your second and not third year.

Btw, Quebec applicants, today was news day for the FRQSC.

This seasons was a home-run :D

I don't get it

I had a score of 13.9 for my application for SSHRC and was awarded a category B

I got my result for FQRSC...... I did not get it and i'm 25 position out of 36.....and they only give it to 7 persons.

How could I be so bad for FQRSC but still got a good score and a grant for SSHRC. I had the exact same project for both.

This is mysterious

I don't get it

I had a score of 13.9 for my application for SSHRC and was awarded a category B

I got my result for FQRSC...... I did not get it and i'm 25 position out of 36.....and they only give it to 7 persons.

How could I be so bad for FQRSC but still got a good score and a grant for SSHRC. I had the exact same project for both.

This is mysterious

Mine were consistent to some extent but it just shows the randomness involved and the importance of uncontrollable factors such as the members composing the juries and their preferences. 

Fellowships are a lottery imo. 

Edited by Pol

Finally got my letter here on the East Coast. Successful in Category B! :)

Congrats to all who were successful and best of luck to those re-applying. Don't lost hope! This was also my second time applying. I was wait-listed last year. I still don't have any publications, and my reference letter writers were the same as last year. The only thing that changed in my application from last year to this year was a substantially-revised statement (like, really really substantially revised). 

And, of course, thanks to everyone on this thread for being a constant source of help and encouragement these last couple of years!

Edited by Carthage32

It is not a static "cut off". While I am sure that there is a distinction between A and B based on score, it is largely dependent upon which adjudication committee received your application. For example, the distinction between A and B in psychology could be 14.5/20 whereas the distinction between A and B in sociology could be 13.4/20. Perhaps it is best to ask others who submitted to philosophy (I assume that is what you submitted to) what there score was and what award they were given. But this definitely shrinks the net of possible responses! 

Really? It seemed as though the scores were consistent across the humanities and that anyone who had about an 11 got waitlisted and a 10 got cut off. So I was just wondering what the highest B score/lowest A score would have been