SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

Thanks Crimsoc. I am in London Ontario. Does anyone know how likely it is to get funding if you are 'waitlisted'? I'm thinking not very, but maybe OGS - results for that are still to come and some funding is MUCH better than none!

I'm in London as well, and still no letter. I'm hoping it still might be delivered today (no other mail) but at this point it's 4pm so I should probably give up hope. Sigh.

I'm in London as well, and still no letter. I'm hoping it still might be delivered today (no other mail) but at this point it's 4pm so I should probably give up hope. Sigh.

Sorry to hear you are still waiting. That does not make sense! Hopefully it will be worth the wait and you will get great news come Monday. :)

Long time reader, first time poster.

Maybe somebody can help with some question I have.

Question 1

For 4th-year students who received doctoral scholarship, what happens if the award start May 01 2015, but you are graduating August 2015? Do they pay out only 1/3 portion of (May - August) or everything since start of 4th year is back-pay? How do they back pay?

Question 2

I noticed that receipients are not allowed to work full-time, but are allowed to interrupt award for relevant work twice for 4 months non-consecutive. Would it be possible to "interrupt" the May - August portion and then receive the remainder on graduation? Am I missing something here? On top of this the deferment/interruption form says interrupting for work is forbidden but award holder guide says interrupting for work 4 months non-consecutive is OK. Very confusing.

Thank you very much

Xi

I can try to answer Question 1. My understanding is that they will only pay from the start date onwards — never retroactively unless you were on the wait-list and magically got the SSHRC later in the year. (This happened to one of my friends; he was waitlisted for the MA SSHRC and found out in December that he was bumped up. So he got Sept.-Dec. all at once.) They will not give you money for the time you've already studied before officially receiving the award on the specified start date.

Unfortunately if you're graduating in August 2015, I am quite sure the funding will stop when you cease to be a full-time student. If someone is a 4th year student, I assume that means that by Dec. 31 of the year of application they would have finished 40 months of full-time study (3*12 + 4 fall months), and the website says that the person would be eligible for 12 months of funding. But if the person ceases to be a student, it seems to me that the funding would not go for the 12 months. It would likely be the 4 months. Sorry if that's bad news for your scenario!

Edited by Diakonos

Rejected at 11.7/20. Curiously, no wait-list for me.

Sorry to hear that. I think it depends on which committee adjudicated your proposal, but it all feels pretty arbitrary when they don't give us any context for the "grades."

Hi guys,

I received the CGS-D (17.2/20) but will be attending school in the States next year.  Does anyone by chance know the procedure to have it bumped down to a Doctoral Fellowship?

I'll email SSHRC but was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with this.

In Toronto, by the way, and only just received the letter (strangely at about 6 PM).

Best of luck to all. 

Got a few letters in Kingston late in the afternoon. Got a CGS with a score of 16.5/20 and delightfully surprised - this is my first major external award. I'm just finishing up my first year coursework; missed the external deadline last year and was rejected in my MA the year before. Best of luck to those who are still waiting. Hold out hope everyone! 

It turns out my letter did arrive today (my niece didn't see it at first), and it's a devastating rejection for me (no wait list). I know that there are many incredibly smart grad students with great proposals who were also rejected, but I'm a bit confused about the process and my extremely low score (it was below a 9). My background:

- 4.0 GPA

- 1 publication

- MA SSHRC

- Took several years after BA and MA to get extra research and teaching experience before applying for PhD.

I guess I'm wondering what I need to work on? More publications? (any suggestions would be helpful). I got really great feedback on my proposal from several profs, and was ranked highest for entrance awards at some the PhD programs I applied to using the exact same proposal (so I don't think the proposal was the problem). Or could I have made an epic mistake somewhere? Is my research too interdisciplinary? Or perhaps was it reviewed by the wrong committee (as my topic crossed several of the adjudication fields?). At this point, I think that appealing the decision would be useless, but I would appreciate any thoughts on this. 

Diakonos, based on your (similar) experience last year, do you mind if I PM you for more advice? 

Thanks everyone for your support along the way! and wishing you all the best regardless of the competition results. 

Edited by solala

It turns out my letter did arrive today (my niece didn't see it at first), and it's a devastating rejection for me (no wait list). I know that there are many incredibly smart grad students with great proposals who were also rejected, but I'm a bit confused about the process and my extremely low score (it was below a 9). My background:

- 4.0 GPA

- 1 publication

- MA SSHRC

- Took several years after BA and MA to get extra research and teaching experience before applying for PhD.

I guess I'm wondering what I need to work on? More publications? (any suggestions would be helpful). I got really great feedback on my proposal from several profs, and was ranked highest for entrance awards at some the PhD programs I applied to using the exact same proposal (so I don't think the proposal was the problem). Or could I have made an epic mistake somewhere? Is my research too interdisciplinary? Or perhaps was it reviewed by the wrong committee (as my topic crossed several of the adjudication fields?). At this point, I think that appealing the decision would be useless, but I would appreciate any thoughts on this. 

Diakonos, based on your (similar) experience last year, do you mind if I PM you for more advice? 

Thanks everyone for your support along the way! and wishing you all the best regardless of the competition results. 

That sounds so weird! I'm sorry to hear about it. IMHO, it might be worth trying to inquire what the problem was. If SSHRC won't tell you anything, maybe you can try talking with your advisors or the people writing your references.

I am a long-time lurker. I created my account after receiving my letter today. I was rejected with a score of 10.5.

This was my second time applying. The first time, I was not even forwarded out of my university. It seems like 11 was the cut-off for the wailist, and 12 or 12.5 was the cut-off for funding, based on this board (because SSHRC doesn't release that info). 

I ended up getting waitlisted at a 10.6

Just out of curiosity - has anyone here been awarded a SSHRC without any publications?

Lorelai_Gilmore, I have never been published. I HAVE presented at conferences (not just grad ones), but no publications.

I was waitlisted with no publications. I think they take into consideration where you are in your program (i.e. if you are a first year PhD you are less likely to have published than someone in their second or third year). I think it also matters which selection committee you are reviewed by as well. My understanding is that the committee which reviews psychology apps receives many more applications then say the committee that reviews the humanities apps, so competition is much stiffer (i.e. you need a higher score to qualify for funding). 

I got my letter two days ago - I won the CGS and I have no scholarly publications at all. Now, I'm in the first year of a PhD program in the humanities. My rough-and-ready sense of this is that they care most of all about how you formulate your idea and write your proposal. This was how various program directors and workshop leaders pitched it to us anyway.   

Hi guys,

I received the CGS-D (17.2/20) but will be attending school in the States next year.  Does anyone by chance know the procedure to have it bumped down to a Doctoral Fellowship?

I'll email SSHRC but was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with this.

In Toronto, by the way, and only just received the letter (strangely at about 6 PM).

Best of luck to all. 

I'm in a similar situation. I indicated that I was planning on attending a foreign school on my application so I was given the A award (if I decided to stay in Canada) but told I would be automatically bumped down to the doctoral fellowship if I took it abroad.

Just out of curiosity - has anyone here been awarded a SSHRC without any publications?

I don't have any publications, and only one grad conference. I'm only starting my program in the fall though, so I'm assuming they took this into account.

Edited by marigold

Letter received in Kingston in the Friday afternoon post for those wondering. Doesn't seem like Grad Studies has circulated the results yet. When I contacted my department with my result they hadn't heard anything yet...

I got my letter two days ago - I won the CGS and I have no scholarly publications at all. Now, I'm in the first year of a PhD program in the humanities. My rough-and-ready sense of this is that they care most of all about how you formulate your idea and write your proposal. This was how various program directors and workshop leaders pitched it to us anyway.   

Yeah I agree with graphgraphe; I was told that no matter how many qualifications you have, if your proposal isn't strong it won't matter. The impression I always got is that the proposal is the most important part of the application. I guess I should mention that I have yet to start the PhD, so they may have taken that into account.

I wouldn't verse into dichotomous interpretations. I'm aware of at least one cgs-d recipient whose proposal was extremely weak but had one publication.

Edited by Pol

I'm also anxiously waiting down here...checked my mail but no dice.

Yeesh, this is torture!

Hey guys; I'm new to this forum as a registered member, but, like many, have been lurking here for the past few months. Signed up to let anyone in rural Manitoba know that I just got my letter, so expect it soon if you haven't already received it! Good luck everyone, and I know it's been said before, but if you don't get the answer you were looking for this time, there really is next year (and to those who didn't get the funding this year, bonus: it means you're eligible for the Vanier -- I just found out thanks to this forum that if you have already received an offer for a doctoral SSHRC, you can't apply for the Vanier).

Also clavicula, I have a friend who is studying in the States (Colorado) right now and had to apply independently; they're still waiting for their letter. If that changes, I'll update you.

Thank you!!

Any direct applicants from south of the border get their letters yet?

Not yet.. Still waiting. I just watched the mailman walk past without dropping anything in my box. I'm going nuts.