Applying to MTS and MDiv at the same school good idea or bad

11Q13

I'm thinking it may be worth it to apply to both MTS/MAR and MDiv programs at the very top schools, namely Harvard and Yale. I've been planning to apply to the MTS/MAR programs, but from what I hear it's easier to get into the MDiv. Is this true?

Would the universities look negatively upon an applicant applying to both programs? Would it seem like I don't know which I want? Another aspect I'm considering, how is funding for MDiv's compared to an MTS/MAR? If an MDiv will almost certainly receive little funding it wouldn't be worth the effort for me.

I am currently an MTS student at Harvard, and here are my (highly speculative) thoughts on your situation, based on my own observations:

-At our school, just about everyone seems to get some kind of funding. The lowest I have heard of is a half-tuition grant. There does not seem to be a preference for either degree.

-The coursework for both programs can be quite similar based on area of interest. At Harvard, the MTS is only 2 years, while the MDiv is 3 years. That extra year can be a huge advantage in sorting out your interests, building your credentials, etc., if you have ANY interest at all in this sort of work, go for it. You also get set up with fieldwork opportunities, and if you go to a school with money, you may be able to do something really amazing, even overseas.

-It is my personal opinion that applying to both programs within the same school does not make much sense. The admissions criteria are relatively similar.

• 3 weeks later...

First, I highly doubt that it is allowed to apply to both the M.Div and the MTS at the same school. Second, I would strongly discourage applying to both even if it was. The M.Div is primarily geared towards ministers, and the MTS is geared towards academics. It shows a lack or direction to apply to both, you dont want to give them the impression that you are applying for the sake of prestige value.

If you want to be a minister (or have even the slightest inclination of going that route) I say apply to the M.Div, if you are dead set on academia, then the MTS.