2015 MFA Applicants: Share your work and statement!

Xxanderr

I'd love any feedback/comments on my work as well, link below.

Tdevo412- I love the photography of the jello molds, reminds me of the fifties era.

Thank you!! 

Hey y'all!! Been seeing some great work!

I've got a tumblr for now.. Hoping to have my official website up before application season next year :)

Anyone else who works on large substrates finding it hard to get enough work together?! Seriously, 20 pieces sounds like a lot and it usually takes me 1-2 months for each piece.. Haha

I didnt have a website until after i applied, and my cv was essentially a blackhole (nothing after undergrad) so dont worry too much about having a website (at least as far as applying to programs is concerned)

As far as the 20 pieces goes...for risd i only used 18 images (i think 3 were details) and saic 15 images (i think 2 details for that one). I also had a mix of larger and smaller drawings (the larger take somewhere between 1-3 months, the smaller 1-2 weeks around my 50 hour work week).

Edited by Derpderpderp

I didnt have a website until after i applied, and my cv was essentially a blackhole (nothing after undergrad) so dont worry too much about having a website (at least as far as applying to programs is concerned)

As far as the 20 pieces goes...for risd i only used 18 images (i think 3 were details) and saic 15 images (i think 2 details for that one). I also had a mix of larger and smaller drawings (the larger take somewhere between 1-3 months, the smaller 1-2 weeks around my 50 hour work week).

Well that's comforting to hear. I was wondering if people included details on larger pieces. Did you pull any work from your undergrad portfolio for your applications?? Thinking about including a few pieces

I only used things that i made in the last year. Risd ended up wanted a cd of old work when i had the interview and including older work is kind of what a website would be for. In both my interviews, the question of how fast i can work came up (maybe because of using details/quantity of drawings in my application) so i would hesitate to include work from school/older works. Of course this also depends on how long youve been out of undergrad

I'm kinda late to this post so I figured I would add my website to the mix.

Please let me know what you think

My artwork is a critique of destructive economic power dynamics within urban communities. I have chosen to use a tobacco company that holds a 78% market share within the black community as a demonstrative and metaphoric example of the economic forces that profit from destruction within the community. Design elements derived from West African bocio sculptures are used to compose images of power objects as a means of empowerment and change. Advertisements for the tobacco company that are aimed at the urban communities are ritually cut and sutured as a way to illustrate the will to overturn present power dynamics and create new ones. Ubiquitous discarded cigarette boxes are incorporated as a way to invoke the presence of community members as consumers. The work also refers to neoclassical busts, previously used to link ethnographic types to power dynamics. The use of black granite and marble busts operates as a signifier for identity. Assembled, these elements operate as power objects to aid in the shedding of what Ngugi wa Thiong’o called the colonized mind.

www.teliottmansa.com

Edited by TEM33056

I'm kinda late to this post so I figured I would add my website to the mix.

Please let me know what you think

My artwork is a critique of destructive economic power dynamics within urban communities. I have chosen to use a tobacco company that holds a 78% market share within the black community as a demonstrative and metaphoric example of the economic forces that profit from destruction within the community. Design elements derived from West African bocio sculptures are used to compose images of power objects as a means of empowerment and change. Advertisements for the tobacco company that are aimed at the urban communities are ritually cut and sutured as a way to illustrate the will to overturn present power dynamics and create new ones. Ubiquitous discarded cigarette boxes are incorporated as a way to invoke the presence of community members as consumers. The work also refers to neoclassical busts, previously used to link ethnographic types to power dynamics. The use of black granite and marble busts operates as a signifier for identity. Assembled, these elements operate as power objects to aid in the shedding of what Ngugi wa Thiong’o called the colonized mind.

www.teliottmansa.com

Words like "power dynamics" and "power objects" seem empty, and you use them quite a bit, at least in the section you provided. 

I think your work is interesting, but I don't know if you need to explain the metaphoric implications of your actions in such detail. Too many truths spoil the myth.