Acceptance rates for Neuroscience PhD programs

gliaful

I looked through all of the admissions decisions on gradcafe (neuroscience) and I became really nervous about my ability to get into ANY of my choice schools. I was wondering how to find admissions statistics for various schools.

Here are my personal stats:

Undergrad in biology + math minor, 3.83 GPA

GRE: 164 Verbal, 168 Quantitative, 6.0 Analytical writing

1 yr research experience in a developmental bio lab, funded by 3 fellowships I was awarded (no big names, but semi-competitive)

1 publication (first author, review paper)

Teaching experience (I teach a math class at my univ)

I'm applying to UW, OHSU, U of Utah, Vanderbilt, and Colorado-Denver. I know these schools are moderately-selective, but I was hoping for cold, hard percentages. I was also curious if there are schools that are notoriously easier to be accepted to (as backups)?

This is my first post here and I know that I've posed a few questions in this post -- I just need help, and reassurance, or something of the sort.

I'd agree that your profile looks pretty solid so I would not stress about programs, however sometimes it is just a matter of numbers.  If you are concerned and have the time, energy, and resources, I'd look into applying to other programs with your research interests and good fit.  It is really hard to get "cold-hard" acceptance rates and don't forget that some of acceptances will be affected by interviews as well.  So even great credentials do not equate an offer if you go in and make a fool of yourself in interviews.  Best of luck!

• 5 weeks later...

:wacko: Thank you to everyone who responded -- this was my first post (...and I forgot that I even posted it) and I was lost, confused, and hoping for reassurance. I had no idea that "chances" are not so clear-cut!

I DID find the percentages that I sought, however. Although I do not know of the accuracy of the stats, Petersons.com has admission rates for last season. You can look at previous years if you search on Google Books for "Petersons (program name)". For my programs, I was able to see % admitted for 2009-present in this way.

I wouldn't trust the admission's stats on Peterson's too much. Honestly, your stats look perfectly in line for where you are applying. If you feel ambitious, you could always add another "reach" school and another lower school, but if you are content with your current choices you should be fine.

In general, you'll find that the hardest part of the application process is simply getting an interview. For my program at UCSF, it is around a 10-15% chance of receiving an interview, with about 60-70% of interviewees being accepted. Top-tier programs will have percentages in that range, although I can't speak directly for neuroscience programs. That being said, I had nearly the exact same GPA and GRE scores as you do (with slightly more research experience but no publications) and I had no problems.

Good luck!