Penn GSE Fall 2015

tchrsquirrel

Hey Espresso 

If anyone who recently attended the PdD weekend would be willing to share his/her experience, it would be much appreciated.  Flying out Friday for EdD weekend.  Very nervous...but excited, too!

I just attended the PhD weekend, and It was an incredibly positive experience. Overall, the faculty, staff, and other applicants were incredibly kind, and it was a great time to learn about PENN, GSE, and the specific division that I was applying to. I don't know if it will be different for the EdD applicants, but on Saturday we had "conversations," which were in a sense interviews but, for my particular division (RWL), were quite casual and allowed for us, the applicants, to get to know the faculty and for the faculty to get to know us as well. I too was very nervous, but there is truly no need. Everyone was kind, and I felt like I could be myself (not just be in interview mode) the entire time.  I hope this is helpful and I wish you the best of luck. 

Hey Espresso 

I just attended the PhD weekend, and It was an incredibly positive experience. Overall, the faculty, staff, and other applicants were incredibly kind, and it was a great time to learn about PENN, GSE, and the specific division that I was applying to. I don't know if it will be different for the EdD applicants, but on Saturday we had "conversations," which were in a sense interviews but, for my particular division (RWL), were quite casual and allowed for us, the applicants, to get to know the faculty and for the faculty to get to know us as well. I too was very nervous, but there is truly no need. Everyone was kind, and I felt like I could be myself (not just be in interview mode) the entire time.  I hope this is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

First, congratulations on making the PhD first cut; I've read and heard that PennGSE's PhD programs are very selective! Second, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I've heard that the EdD weekend mirrors the PhD weekend, so it's nice to hear about your experience. Although Saturday appears to be a rather structured day of activities, it's comforting to hear that the interviews feel more lie conversations, rather than interviews. I am--far and away--most nervous about that part. All the best to you; hopefully you will get your good news within the next few weeks.

Have any M.S.Ed (higher ed) or any track heard anything yet?

I applied to M.S.Ed (ECS) and haven't heard back. This is week 9 for me. Two weeks ago, a professor who knows a friend of mine said that we should hear "shortly" about applications. Intentionally vague term, so I'm being patient. 

I applied to the M.S.Ed. in Counseling and Mental Health Services. My app was submitted on 11/24 and my last LoR on 12/02. I've been going mad thinking that I've been rejected because I saw someone upload an interview offer on the results page in January. I just discovered the inside the GSE blog but it says my application should have been reviewed within four weeks of submission! I just checked tonight and apparently my application wasn't even marked as "ready for review" until 12/22!

I'm so happy I found this thread though! It stinks that we all seem to have been waiting for weeks/months now, but at least we know that it's not a personal problem. I went through my entire application and statements all over again thinking I'd accidentally missed something. I even double quadruple checked the word count of my statement to make sure it wasn't over the limit. I was considering calling the department tomorrow morning to see what's going on. I've already interviewed at another program and I have two more coming up, but Penn is an amazing school and I really just want to have a chance at going there.

I applied to the M.S.Ed. in Counseling and Mental Health Services. My app was submitted on 11/24 and my last LoR on 12/02. I've been going mad thinking that I've been rejected because I saw someone upload an interview offer on the results page in January. I just discovered the inside the GSE blog but it says my application should have been reviewed within four weeks of submission! I just checked tonight and apparently my application wasn't even marked as "ready for review" until 12/22!

I'm so happy I found this thread though! It stinks that we all seem to have been waiting for weeks/months now, but at least we know that it's not a personal problem. I went through my entire application and statements all over again thinking I'd accidentally missed something. I even double quadruple checked the word count of my statement to make sure it wasn't over the limit. I was considering calling the department tomorrow morning to see what's going on. I've already interviewed at another program and I have two more coming up, but Penn is an amazing school and I really just want to have a chance at going there.

Pretty sure that the 4-week decision was a thing in the past. Not the case anymore. Don't assume rejection until they say so. I've seen cases where successful PhD applicants to top schools like Yale and Columbia did not get interview notification while others in the same program got interview. I have a friend who was heartbroken after Columbia PhD interview then rejected, and he found out one of the admits didn't even get interview notification. 

I just called GSE. I called the main admissions office and they told me that my application was still under review and that it normally takes six to eight weeks for an answer. Like a lot of you all said, master's applicants weren't processed until after the Ph.D. and Ed.D. ones. I then called my department (Applied Psychology) and was told that they would likely receive decisions this afternoon, so if I don't hear back by the end of this week, I should definitely hear something by the beginning of next. 

GSE emailed me saying that the decision is available online now. However, I login to the system, unable to find the decision. It still says "ready for review". Let me ask people who got in: if decision has been made, it should say "decision made", not "ready for review", right? I may call them tomorrow... Or perhaps there's a delay between email system and application system.. hmm!

GSE emailed me saying that the decision is available online now. However, I login to the system, unable to find the decision. It still says "ready for review". Let me ask people who got in: if decision has been made, it should say "decision made", not "ready for review", right? I may call them tomorrow... Or perhaps there's a delay between email system and application system.. hmm!

SAME HERE! Same email, same problem. Pretty frustrating. 

SAME HERE! Same email, same problem. Pretty frustrating. 

Oh they confirmed that there's a lag between automated email and application system. I emailed the department that it was a good news for me. Only $5000/year scholarship however, I was expecting $10k/year like many other people, but I think I will be turning the offer down. Offered TAship at another university

Oh they confirmed that there's a lag between automated email and application system. I emailed the department that it was a good news for me. Only $5000/year scholarship however, I was expecting $10k/year like many other people, but I think I will be turning the offer down. Offered TAship at another university

Thanks!!! I double-checked and I'm in!!! THRILLED!! With scholarship too! After 2 rejects, this feels so good!

Thanks!!! I double-checked and I'm in!!! THRILLED!! With scholarship too! After 2 rejects, this feels so good!

Congratulations to you both!! Even if you don't end up going there for whatever reason, it is still a major accomplishment to have been accepted :)

First, congratulations on making the PhD first cut; I've read and heard that PennGSE's PhD programs are very selective! Second, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I've heard that the EdD weekend mirrors the PhD weekend, so it's nice to hear about your experience. Although Saturday appears to be a rather structured day of activities, it's comforting to hear that the interviews feel more lie conversations, rather than interviews. I am--far and away--most nervous about that part. All the best to you; hopefully you will get your good news within the next few weeks.

Tchrsquirrel, was your EdD weekend this past weekend?  How did it go? :)

Tchrsquirrel, was your EdD weekend this past weekend?  How did it go? :)

Thank you for asking. It was awesome! Everyone was incredibly warm, kind, and approachable. If you have any doubts in terms of whether PennGSE is a welcoming community, I can assure you that it is. Have you made a decision as to whether you will accept their offer of admission?

Anyone have any information about Ed Policy masters?

Week 10 and waiting...

I am also applying for ed policy but doctoral program. No info for now...someone in this thread said by this week there will be news(but it seems to be another track). anyway best luck of us. Any friend heard from the ed policy program in Penn GSE?

I am also applying for ed policy but doctoral program. No info for now...someone in this thread said by this week there will be news(but it seems to be another track). anyway best luck of us. Any friend heard from the ed policy program in Penn GSE?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you applied to a doctoral program at PennGSE and haven't heard anything yet, it is almost guaranteed not to be good news. I'm in a similar position -- I applied to the higher ed phd and haven't heard anything -- but I have it on good authority that being invited to the phd interview weekend is a prerequisite for admission, and since that interview weekend happened two weeks ago...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you applied to a doctoral program at PennGSE and haven't heard anything yet, it is almost guaranteed not to be good news. I'm in a similar position -- I applied to the higher ed phd and haven't heard anything -- but I have it on good authority that being invited to the phd interview weekend is a prerequisite for admission, and since that interview weekend happened two weeks ago...

I wonder if this also applies to international applicants. I applied to the PHD in Ed policy and still haven't heard from them.