Writing sample

Pinar2014

Hi everyone!

I'm an international student and I've got a problem with my sample writing. the problem is that about two years ago me and one of my friends wrote an article but never published it. Last year, my friend send the article as his sample writing for a few political science departments. Now I have a plan to apply and I don't know whether I can send the same article or not. Of course, I will not apply for the same departments. I was wondering if someone could help me. By the way, there is no enough time to write another article. I'm a bit confused!

Hi everyone!

I'm an international student and I've got a problem with my sample writing. the problem is that about two years ago me and one of my friends wrote an article but never published it. Last year, my friend send the article as his sample writing for a few political science departments. Now I have a plan to apply and I don't know whether I can send the same article or not. Of course, I will not apply for the same departments. I was wondering if someone could help me. By the way, there is no enough time to write another article. I'm a bit confused!

So it's co-authored? I would be very wary of submitting something that was co-authored.. How do the departments know what part you played in the process and generally how much of it is your work? You say there's no time to write something else, but surely you wrote other peices of work during your undergraduate.

I might be wrong with my suspicion of co-authored pieces (I'm in the same place as you after all) but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off :)

So it's co-authored? I would be very wary of submitting something that was co-authored.. How do the departments know what part you played in the process and generally how much of it is your work? You say there's no time to write something else, but surely you wrote other peices of work during your undergraduate.

I might be wrong with my suspicion of co-authored pieces (I'm in the same place as you after all) but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off :)

Yes, it is co-authored and most parts of it was written by me. The question is that should I mention that the article has been written by two people? I have written other pieces but none of them are in English and it takes time to translate one of them to English!   :mellow:

Edited by Pinar2014

If you do not mention that the piece is authored by two people, then it is a breach of academic integrity. Of course, you can get away with it, but it is 100% wrong, period.

You should rather use other samples of your writing. There are lots of online services where you can have your text translated and edited in a proper way and hopefully for a reasonable price.