History

Guest Minnesotan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

History as humanities means an 800 pg book and doing 2000+ pages of reading a week for seminars. History as social science means doing 1200+ pages of reading per week. I'd prefer the latter but then I'm not even a historian. If I were, I'd do 20th century environmental history, comparing environmental thought and practices around sustainability in the US and Latin America. Hmm... maybe it's not too late for me to find a history MA program. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

They're not useless if you didn't major in history undergrad but belatedly realize your calling as a history professor - in that scenario, they're supposed to be a great way to improve your standing as a PhD candidate.

If you're at all serious about it, check out Georgetown's Master of Arts in Global, International & Comparative History. (Yes, that's right - the MAGIC degree.) It's a 3-semester, semi-funded program in DC, and I gather that they're really looking to build up their environmental history component with a new professor and a full fellowship for PhDs in that area.

the MAGIC degree

My SO officially thinks I'm insane, now, as this statement caused violent laughter to echo through the apartment.

On a nerdy tangent, how cool would it be to tell your high school buddies you're earning a degree in MAGIC?>!

They're not useless if you didn't major in history undergrad but belatedly realize your calling as a history professor - in that scenario, they're supposed to be a great way to improve your standing as a PhD candidate.

If you're at all serious about it, check out Georgetown's Master of Arts in Global, International & Comparative History. (Yes, that's right - the MAGIC degree.) It's a 3-semester, semi-funded program in DC, and I gather that they're really looking to build up their environmental history component with a new professor and a full fellowship for PhDs in that area.

I've actually looked at this program. But now I have a fab acceptance to a PhD program so I'll stop questioning myself, at least for a few days.

Oh, you guys will love this. I actually locked a "History Admissions 2008" post over in the social sciences forum and told the poster to look for the active history threads in the humanities! You can still click over to the locked post if you want.

Call me a crazy historian, but I actually really like math. I never cared for hard to visualize math like calculus, but I dug statistics. Heck, my quantitative score beat my verbal score by 140 points! What can I say, both of my parents and grandfathers earned undergraduate degrees in engineering.