Jump to content

Therapist for children... How do I do it?


Recommended Posts

I have a bachelor's degree in Sociology from Rutgers University. I don't have the greatest GPA, and I'm a horrible test taker (took the GRE years ago... it was horrible)

BUT, I have amazing work experience from the past 7 years; working with autistic kids, counselor at a group home,  AmeriCorps, volunteer work, and more recently worked for a child protective service agency for almost 4 years where I worked directly with children and families-- I have done a lot :)


So, basically... I don't know what to do from here.... I know I love working with families/kids who have been through trauma, etc... I am good at it. I just don't know how to go about it.


Should I just go get my MSW? MFT? or MA in Clinical Psychology? 


People (professionals) that I have worked with all tell me "There needs to be more people like you in this world..."-- which is so nice, and I am grateful. But, I know to do more I need that advanced degree.


So, all that being said...

I don't want to have to take my GRE's again
I hope my work experience and ability to get amazing recommendations from great professionals will have a grad program look past my poor GPA. 

I am extremely passionate about the work I want to do.


Any advice? 

Grad schools? Which ones do I have a chance getting into?


Thanks in advance!... any advice would be helpful :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

You'd probably be okay getting a Masters in Counseling (specialize in play therapy or similar). Many grad programs in counseling are amenable to the MAT instead of the GRE, so that might be an option. There's really no way around a test of some kind, though, unless you'd be okay with a post-grad certificate as opposed to a full-fledged degree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Look at programs that have a counseling/therapy focus. An MFT would probably work or a Clinical Psych masters program. I'm in a masters program that allows the option for a certificate in child therapy. Something like that would probably work alright. 


Look up some things like this and see if they have programs that fit for you. I'm not sure what to tell you about your GRE/GPA issues though. Some schools just have different things they weight. It seems like you have a lot of practical experience though, which is fantastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use