Harvard Divnity M.Div. Admissions

nicklac

Hello there,

I am new to this forum and I have a couple questions concerning Harvard Divinity's M.Div. I am trying to figure out just what kind of GPA they are looking for (or in the ballpark of looking for). I'll be quite honest with you, as I was looking around this forum at the various responses, I noticed that you all are better students than I am. I cannot even compare my GPA out of embarrassment!

I am in the process of completing my B.A. in Biblical Studies (graduating in May of 2010). In the upcoming fall 2009 semester, I will be applying to Harvard Divinity School for the M.Div. program. They insist that there is no set GPA, however, mine has hovered around 2.5-2.8. You'd probably laugh at me now... "what's a 2.5 student talking about Harvard for?"

Well, I have high hopes because I've invested a lot of time at two churches over the past 9 years. Do you think I have a shot? My senior pastor is an alum from Harvard Divinity (MTh) and is writing a recommendation for me. Please enlighten me with your thoughts and opinions. If any have experience with Harvard Divinity's admission process (i.e., for the M.Div. program), please share. I welcome your honesty in this admissions process.

Have you been out of school for some time, or did you just graduate? If you have been out of school and working with churches then your GPA may not be as important.

Having the Div school alum writing your letter of recommendation can't hurt.

What I would suggest is really going above and beyond in the other parts of your application. At Harvard Divinity, the GRE is optional. If there is ANY chance you can study for it this summer and do well, that could help you. A writing sample is also optional, but if you submit something that indicates what kind of work you are capable of producing, that also adds to the overall picture of yourself as a student.

Taking all the extra steps will show how serious you are about entering the program. My impression is the the MDiv is slightly easier in terms of admission, especially if you show character and leadership, but if you do not send in other materials, the low GPA may make it easier to dismiss you as a candidate.

Thank you very much for your insight! In response to your question(s), I am still in the B.A. and will be completing it in the next year. I haven't broken away from the college I am currently attending. I am not sure the GRE will be an option as I am completing a lot of work this year.

For the past three years or so, I have been studying the New Testament and have written solid exegetical papers using historical critical methods and literary styles in order to understand the whole Bible in a modern context. I will submit one of the papers I have written for my professors. As for the writing sample, I will include one of those exegetical papers I have written.

I have mentioned in the Statement of Purpose (SoP) that I have had some academic shortfalls (they state on the admissions website that any inconsistencies must be noted in the SoP). I will get those who will write the letters of rec to mention that I am capable of engaging in theological discussion.

I sure appreciate your feedback in this process! Again, my biggest fear is that I will be looked as not able to engage like my fellow students. They have certainly proven themselves academically, and I am trying to improve my academics in this final year in my B.A.

Thanks again!

Don't get me wrong, your GPA will, unfortunately, stick out sorely. But when I applied to Harvard Divinity School, I had a gorgeous GPA but I felt I had little else going for me in terms of real-world experience. It is always tough to figure out exactly what a grad school is looking for.

And it never hurts to give it a shot. Put your absolute best effort forward and it just might pay off.

I think this may help you gauge your chances at Ivy League Divinity Schools. This is what I received from Yale Divinity School, in response to why my application was not successful (My ugpa was 2.8, my grad gpa was a 3.7

------------

This year YDS received the largest number of applications ever--- 558 vs 485 application last year. As a result our admit rate dropped by about 4%, thus this was probably the most competitive year for admissions in many, many years (if not ever).

Given the competitiveness of this year

If you apply to Harvard, I would take the above advice and apply to other schools as well. You could be accepted to HDS with your ugpa, but I would honestly say that it's not likely. You will have to blow them away with the rest of your appl. to have a shot. However, you do still have a year (since you graduate in May 2010) to improve your gpa. If you can get it closer to a 2.85+ your chances will improve. I also DEFINITELY recommend that you take the GRE. If you score high on it then you will have more academic cred.

I don't know about HDS's admission stats but I do know about Duke's. I was accepted to Duke with a 3.33 ugpa and it's probably on the low end. I think I read that the average ugpa for 2008 DDS admissions was around a 3.7. I honestly probably wouldn't have been accepted if it wasn't for my ministry experience and my denomination affiliation (UMC). My assumption is that Duke and Harvard are similar in admissions stats.

Are you interested in HDS because of location? There are some other very solid schools in the northeast. Boston University has a good school of theology. Gordon Conwell is good as well, although it is conservative and very different from HDS. Not saying that it is entirely impossible for you to be accepted at HDS, but I would look into other options as well. Just curious, what is your denominational affiliation?

• 4 weeks later...

By all means apply. There is no reason not to, and its better to apply and get rejected than not apply and wonder what could have happened (what I did as a high schooler applying only to one sure-in school).

To be honest though, apply to other schools because I wouldnt count on it.

You have Work exp. with two churches, thats good but so will many other people who will be applying to Divinity Schools.

The alum recommender is also nice, but again not unique or unheard of.

I guess what I see as your main problem is that not only is your GPA low, but its in a near identical field to the one you are applying. It would be different if you had 2.5-2.8 in engineering only to find out a decade later you want to be a pastor. Low UGPA is more forigvable in unrelated (and frankly more difficult) fields. But Harvard Div adcomms are going to see a 2.5 in biblical studies and worry whether you would be able to handle the curriculum.

If you want to have a shot, you need to 3.5+ for your remaining time in UG to convey the point that you can do graduate level theological work.

Best of Luck

PS: If it helps, 3.74/4 Philosophy/Math BA. Was a ministerial candidate and former board member at church, two elected positions at school, UG thesis MCL. Waitlisted then rejected.

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

I am new to this forum and I have a couple questions concerning Harvard Divinity's M.Div. I am trying to figure out just what kind of GPA they are looking for (or in the ballpark of looking for). I'll be quite honest with you, as I was looking around this forum at the various responses, I noticed that you all are better students than I am. I cannot even compare my GPA out of embarrassment!

I am in the process of completing my B.A. in Biblical Studies (graduating in May of 2010). In the upcoming fall 2009 semester, I will be applying to Harvard Divinity School for the M.Div. program. They insist that there is no set GPA, however, mine has hovered around 2.5-2.8. You'd probably laugh at me now... "what's a 2.5 student talking about Harvard for?"

Well, I have high hopes because I've invested a lot of time at two churches over the past 9 years. Do you think I have a shot? My senior pastor is an alum from Harvard Divinity (MTh) and is writing a recommendation for me. Please enlighten me with your thoughts and opinions. If any have experience with Harvard Divinity's admission process (i.e., for the M.Div. program), please share. I welcome your honesty in this admissions process.

Obviously there are other factors that go into getting accepted into a great Div school besides GPA. If it helps, I was denied at Harvard (twice - once from UG and once as a transfer) with a 3.75 cum. and a 3.9 major (theo/phil double major). It seems sort of hit or miss. I applied for the biblical studies focus twice, and from what I heard that field is fairly competitive at HDS.

good luck.

Obviously there are other factors that go into getting accepted into a great Div school besides GPA. If it helps, I was denied at Harvard (twice - once from UG and once as a transfer) with a 3.75 cum. and a 3.9 major (theo/phil double major). It seems sort of hit or miss. I applied for the biblical studies focus twice, and from what I heard that field is fairly competitive at HDS.

good luck.

Lots of factors. I was admitted with a 2.6 cum, though that reflects a 1.51 from way back when and a 3.975 for recent work. My impression is that your GPA is part of the story -- if it's low, there needs to be enough other compelling reasons to admit you to offset it.