Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

I was accepted to Iowa State, which is a perfect fit for what I'd like to do! I see a few others in the results search. Any of them lurking around here? I'd love to chat about their thoughts on the program. 

Congrats, mmmscience! Iowa State is fantastic, especially for rhet/comp stuff:) I received a friendly email from them a few weeks ago asking if I would mind being switched from a PhD applicant to an MA one (since I'm coming straight out of undergrad with less teaching experience). Hopefully that's indicative of future good news? In any case, I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts on ISU! What are you hoping to research? 

Hopefully that's indicative of future good news? 

I'd say so. Same thing happened to me when I was first contacted by the university where I ultimately ended up. Received an official offer about three weeks after that first email. Hope the same happens to you!

Congrats! I met several Georgia State grad students at SAMLA last winter, and it seems like a very congenial, productive program. My plan is to hold off until tonight. I'm hoping the DGS will follow-up with funding info sometime tomorrow. If I haven't heard anything by the time I get out of class I plan to contact them.

Did you hear anything from the DGS today, In hac? I did not, so I just emailed him. GSU is not my first choice and not the best fit for me, but I still want to make an informed decision. 

Did you hear anything from the DGS today, In hac? I did not, so I just emailed him. GSU is not my first choice and not the best fit for me, but I still want to make an informed decision. 

I still haven't even gotten an email from GSU yet. Not sure if that means I'm less likely to be funded, or if they are just very slow to notify people.

Yeah, not sure about that Hannalore. The results board shows that the first few people accepted were also given information about funding. I don't think GSU funds all of their English PhDs...so maybe we are the "lowly" folks who won't receive a funding offer. :wacko: Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a PhD program to NOT fund their PhD students.

Yeah, not sure about that Hannalore. The results board shows that the first few people accepted were also given information about funding. I don't think GSU funds all of their English PhDs...so maybe we are the "lowly" folks who won't receive a funding offer. :wacko: Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a PhD program to NOT fund their PhD students.

Thanks for sharing, orbial. I didn't hear anything either. I was about to e-mail them, but since you did already I figure I'll hold off a few days. If you get a response and don't mind sharing that would be great; I doubt whatever answer I get will be much different anyway.

One of my LOR writers who helped me get into an MA (she's married to a professor there) said GSU was having some real problems with funding English graduate students lately. Granted, that was two years ago, but I don't think the landscape has really changed. I just wish I could have enjoyed the acceptance for a full 24 hours before I shifted back into freak-out mode!

Congrats Lycidas!! I, too, just got a really nice phone call from the DGS at Yale - I'm in! Visit weekend is in early March. :)

WOOT!!! Congratulations!

Out of up votes, dammit.

Edited by unræd

Everyone, I really need your help. I'm clinically depressed and diagnosed with severe panic, and I'm starting to freak out.

I only heard back from Columbia, which was a flat-out rejection. But why have I not yet heard from the remaining 6 schools??

Everyone, I really need your help. I'm clinically depressed and diagnosed with severe panic, and I'm starting to freak out.

I only heard back from Columbia, which was a flat-out rejection. But why have I not yet heard from the remaining 6 schools??

Youngcharlie, I'm really feeling for you. I've been in your exact same position. Just remember that (1) it's still super early in the app season (I didn't get my first acceptance until mid-February) and 2) your worth as a person and a scholar is not measured by grad school apps.

I think others will be happy to commiserate and provide solace, but could we move this to the Rejection thread? I don't want to derail the very deserveded celebration happening here.

I relate to you; I also have clinical depression and an eating disorder, so this whole thing has been an enormous nightmare to endure. Some days it feels as though the bad news could annihilate you with all the emotional energy it impregnates you with, and other days it's as though, even with the lull of saddening prospects, your bed is the only thing that really matters. I don't know why some of our schools haven't responded yet, but no matter what the outcomes are we have to find ways to carry on and continue to fight for and take care of ourselves. In the event that we do get acceptances (which, I promise we will, if not this year then next year), it would be a great disservice to ourselves and the academic community to not do our personal best to resist grad school admissions season as an uncontrollable trigger. 

Youngcharlie, I'm really feeling for you. I've been in your exact same position. Just remember that (1) it's still super early in the app season (I didn't get my first acceptance until mid-February) and 2) your worth as a person and a scholar is not measured by grad school apps.

I think others will be happy to commiserate and provide solace, but could we move this to the Rejection thread? I don't want to derail the very deserveded celebration happening here.

I relate to you; I also have clinical depression and an eating disorder, so this whole thing has been an enormous nightmare to endure. Some days it feels as though the bad news could annihilate you with all the emotional energy it impregnates you with, and other days it's as though, even with the lull of saddening prospects, your bed is the only thing that really matters. I don't know why some of our schools haven't responded yet, but no matter what the outcomes are we have to find ways to carry on and continue to fight for and take care of ourselves. In the event that we do get acceptances (which, I promise we will, if not this year then next year), it would be a great disservice to ourselves and the academic community to not do our personal best to resist grad school admissions season as an uncontrollable trigger. 

Oh my gosh, you guys I'm so sorry. I truly didn't mean to derail the celebrations. I am so happy for my friends here. I just didn't know if anybody was in the same boat as me. 

Congrats, unraed!

Thanks!

Oh my gosh, you guys I'm so sorry. I truly didn't mean to derail the celebrations. I am so happy for my friends here. I just didn't know if anybody was in the same boat as me. 

Absolutely no apologies are necessary--Proflorax is (but then again, isn't she always?) right about different threads helping to keep people's very real joy from complicating other people's very real sadness and vice versa, but I certainly didn't feel derailed. No worries!